Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,348
    There are a number of "Maybe the USB cable is bad?" posts on various Pi forums.

    A few of them seem to be fixed by either upgrading s/w (especially firmware) or downgrading from Buster.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    But it works on the Macbook. I wonder if different chipsets handle the link negotiation differently. Maybe the Pi uses only a fixed data rate, whereas the Macbook might do some sort of adaptive rate? Is that possible?
    I love the fact that you guys are even discussing this. But.... I would think it's up to the person selling $500 USB cables to explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... Surely they must have a much deeper understanding of the inner workings of USB than any of us earthlings.

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,348
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    I love the fact that you guys are even discussing this. But.... I would think it's up to the person selling $500 USB cables to explain why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.... Surely they must have a much deeper understanding of the inner workings of USB than any of us earthlings.
    The "Maybe the cable is bad" seems to have appeared for other Pi4 users with ordinary cables - so it might be an ordinary issue as well as a Audiophile one.

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,729
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    The "Maybe the cable is bad" seems to have appeared for other Pi4 users with ordinary cables - so it might be an ordinary issue as well as a Audiophile one.
    That is true but us Earthlings would just pull another ú5 cable from our box of cables and move on. Spending $350+ on a cable is IMO obscene. Send it back, buy one for $5 and give the money saved to the local food bank.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

  5. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    20,348
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    That is true but us Earthlings would just pull another ú5 cable from our box of cables and move on. Spending $350+ on a cable is IMO obscene. Send it back, buy one for $5 and give the money saved to the local food bank.
    I'm not backing the cable - I'm curious about possible Pi4 h/w issues. I have aPi4 where the Wifi will drop after a few hours if screen resolution is set too high - a bug which apparently has been fixed yet still happens on my Pi4.

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    5,729
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I'm not backing the cable - I'm curious about possible Pi4 h/w issues. I have aPi4 where the Wifi will drop after a few hours if screen resolution is set too high - a bug which apparently has been fixed yet still happens on my Pi4.
    We know you are not bacxking the cable bpa! There are undoubtedly some bugs in the Pi kernel but you can hardly expect the foundation to go investing $$$ in this sort of edge case to test a USB cable. Given the price point of a Pi and its stated raison d'etre its just not going to be on the list of expected use cases. WiFi - different matter altogether.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •