Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    and I think it could be one of the first things Curious suggests is done before agreeing to replace since it is in their FAQ and they might not have experience of pCP/TinyCore.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

I just wanted to update this post and put a closure to it. Not the outcome that I was hoping for but alas Curious got back to me and their assessment is that their cable is just incompatible with the RPi platform. I would hope that they will investigate this and add as a disclosure on their FAQ page for future customers that may run into the same issue or perhaps they will improve upon next versions of their products if it makes business sense for them to do so.

I want to thank the folks that provided their input into helping me try to resolve it. This is a great forum with equally great members!

Cheers!

Good luck with the Return/Exchange. I think Curious has a 30-day full satisfaction period so should be straightforward to send back...

Before you return, try pulling USB power from Qutest and plug back in to reboot Qutest. You rebooted RPi, but not Qutest.
    Last edited by LiFePO4; 2021-02-23 at 08:44.

Quote Originally Posted by scslite View Post
    ... Curious got back to me and their assessment is that their cable is just incompatible with the RPi platform.
    Out of curiousity (no pun intended) I had a look at their website. These guys are, like lots of boutique audiophile companies, a bunch of charlatans.

If Curious publicise that their cable doesn't work on a RPi, it might save some PCP users falling for their snake oil claims.
    Transporter -> ATC SCM100A

How can a couple of connectors with a few wires between them not work?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Maybe the ultra-clean, perfectly-timed data bits are just too much for the Raspberry pi to cope with

Maybe the cable deemed the Raspberry Pi not worthy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

They route the +5v on the outside the signal cable - perhaps it is broken ?

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    They route the +5v on the outside the signal cable - perhaps it is broken ?
    But it works on the Macbook. I wonder if different chipsets handle the link negotiation differently. Maybe the Pi uses only a fixed data rate, whereas the Macbook might do some sort of adaptive rate? Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    But it works on the Macbook. I wonder if different chipsets handle the link negotiation differently. Maybe the Pi uses only a fixed data rate, whereas the Macbook might do some sort of adaptive rate? Is that possible?
    Yes - the loose +5v wired seemed to be the obvious candidate for a source of problems.
    The dmesg log seems shows the problem to be initial connection of device.
    The vendor and device id of the device were not even obtained so the Pi could not even identify what sort of USB device has been attached. So problem is in early stages of connection.

There are 4 wires. Two signal wire D+ and D- provide differential signalling. As I understand it, the signals at idle are pulled down by host but when a device connects to host, the device pulls one of them up with a 1.5kOhm resistance. Could there be some problem with this resistance value between Pi and cable ?