Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

New r-Pi-4 based LMS via USB SSD - recommended partitions

I've got myself a new rPi-4 and a 2TB SSD (Samsung T7) connected via USB3 to act as a media server on wich I intend to install LMS, Plex and Transmission (I prototyped all these on an SD-Card first so know the process). I've set up the SSD with a new Raspbian image and it boots up fine from USB. The partitions look like this:

Name:  gparted.PNG
Views: 395
Size:  59.2 KB

Before I start adding LMS, etc, does this look reasonable to any Pi experts out there? I'm new to Linux and not sure what the boot partition actually is and whether 256MB is going to be enough for my intended use-case. I originally created the image on the SSD via Imager downloaded from https://raspberrypi.org/software/ from a windows machine - it didn't give me any option to set the boot size - can that be changed now or later if needed?

Also what about a swap partition?

NB. I mentioned that I prototyped the entire setup on an SD card first (set up via Noobs). I know I have the option of using the SD Card Copy utility to copy this to my SSD, but I'm a bit concerned about the multiple partitions that SD card has:
    Name:  gparted_sd.PNG
Views: 350
Size:  85.5 KB
    Should I be concerned about basing my SSD on a copy of this structure? What do all those partitions mean?
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-19 at 17:45.
    muso developer
    6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (80,000+ tracks)
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    whether 256MB is going to be enough for my intended use-case
    yes
    can that be changed now or later if needed?
    yes
    Also what about a swap partition?
    just use a swap file instead (unless you expect your Pi to to actually run out of memory, in which case I'd recommend a compressed RAM swap device)

Should I be concerned about basing my SSD on a copy of this structure?
    no
    What do all those partitions mean?
    Using highly advanced research techniques, I succeeded in finding this explanation
    Various SW: Web Interface | TUI | Playlist Editor / Generator | Music Classification | Similar Music | Announce | EventTrigger | DB Optimizer | Chiptunes | LMSlib2go | ...
    Various HowTos: build a self-contained LMS | Bluetooth/ALSA | Control LMS with any device | ...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    yes

yes

just use a swap file instead (unless you expect your Pi to to actually run out of memory, in which case I'd recommend a compressed RAM swap device)

no

Using highly advanced research techniques, I succeeded in finding this explanation
    Thanks. Where the pi is concerned I've learned that it's usually better to "ask the experts" rather than blindly relying on the top few google hits - they led me to believe I had to update my firmware in order to boot from USB, only to find out later I didn't have to.

I continued down the path of copying my sd-card onto the SSD, but in booting from that the boot sequence on screen gets stuck at this message at the top of the screen but never gets any further:
    mmc1: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)

I've seen that message on other boots and usually it continues, but not this time (waited 10 mins). So I'll have to go the fresh raspbian route and re-install everything.
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-20 at 04:43.
    muso developer

The prerequisite for booting from non standard media is that the firmware recognizes it and is able to access its partitions. It would appear that this is not the case for this specific brand/model SSD and so unless alternative firmware exists this will be a no-go.

There is an alternative way though. As you noticed (and likely interpreted wrong) there is no issue accessing the SSD once raspbian (or other OS) is booted and it is possible to use the existing system as an advanced bootloader. For this you require an application named kexec and the running kernel must support it, but I believe that is the case. Do note that if you proceed on this path that there will be two block devices connected to the Pi and there is a possibility of confusion which one will end up as sda or sdb. You should therefore specify the root partition by its UUID (e.g. root="PARTUUID=1234abcd_02") when calling kexec.

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    So I'll have to go the fresh raspbian route and re-install everything.
    This is most likely too late

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs...ster/README.md

My suggestion is to install what you want on a fesh imaged SD card, and then try moving the image to a USB stick first, using the rpi Imager tool.

I'm not sure if it is possible to transfer "NOOBS" to a usb storage device for booting. I know that it possible with a Raspberry PI OS. Indeed, one can install the Desktop OS directly to a usb drive.

The rpi4b has supported booting from usb for a while now, but again, I'm not sure about "NOOBS"

I feel that the rpi foundation is moving away from "NOOBS", that is why I supplied the link to "PINN"

Good luck

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    This is most likely too late
    ronnie
    Thanks but yeah it was too late, I've been building it from scratch today - no bad thing as I made a few mistakes first time round so this is much cleaner.

I now have LMS, Plex and Transmission running on the pi from a 2TB SSD!

However now I have to copy all the media from my old VortexBox to the new pi - I could mount the old SATA disk from the VB in a new enclosure with a USB3 interface, though I'd have to order one, so now I'm stuck with one side of the copy being USB2, so that's a bit painful. Will probably be done by tomorrow tho!
    muso developer