Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Nope. Don't have any at hand. (More boxes and cables, daaa.)

Will try it with my PC USB out. It's a demo unit so maybe faulty...
    I found this on another forum so it seems to be possible.

"Audiophile honeymoons may end with a bad
    settlement, but on occasion...........
    After an ambivalent involvement with the original yggy, selling it, slumming with squeezebox touch, behold, Qutest on a trial $ back basis has been gracing my system for 2 wks. My modest digital train is Imac-SBT/EDO/LMS-usb regen-Qutest, feeding unbalanced pre/amp/big spkrs. It's all about synergy. Yggy just never clicked. I didn't want to go down the regenerate/repower rabbit hole which might have modified yggy sound to something I wanted. I have a thing for black, and visually was tired of the yggy military surplus ambience, so enter a cool black brick with Toys R Us ambience. Another poster memorably said the Chord2Qute, the qutest predecessor, is amazing for what it does w/o extras. Improvable, yes, but almost there from the start.
    Immediately noticeable was a vastly improved
    soundscape, sounded bigger because it wasn't
    hugging the left spkr. Ambient cues popping
    like never before. With Yggy and Wyred4Sound
    a lot of music was rendered so some elements
    , often bass, sounded disjointed, not in the same room. Vocals on both these dacs in my system were often back in the mix with a too low relative volume that mushed lyrics. No doubt these dacs excel in other systems. I suspect that often balanced dacs sound best in balanced systems.
    Initially the highs and mids had a mysterious
    intoxicating quality; vocals were big and emotive, bass was an afterthought; after 4 or 5 days and inserting a usb regen the music attained a balanced cohesion and BASS came home and sealed the deal. Call it tone, emotive impact, whatever; my system has never had this level of foot tappin enjoyment, nevertheless, I'm glad I have 2 more wks. to be surer."

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks. Will have to fiddle with it tomorrow.

Today SBT recognised the Qutest. Maybe it's the weather.
    Sound was on 2x speed, so I decided to check the options.
    Workaround for no USB hub did the trick.
    Now I will set up thr other SBT with my existing USB DAC and do A-B
    Last edited by Zombie; 2021-02-20 at 12:24.

My Touch works great with both a Mojo and a Hugo 2. EDO and DSDPlayer lets me stream SACD via DoD as well.

I have had issues where music played at 2x, but a quick reboot fixed it. It has rarely happened.

One important item - when switching USB connected DACs you need to redirect the Digital Out to the new device. The Touch remembers them by name.

Forgot to report back.
    I compared the SBT + Qutest with a SBT and Quad USB DAC, levels matched and streamers linked.
    I could not hear any significant differences apart from the softest Qutest filter.
    So I stayed with the Quad DAC. Saved about 1000 euros. Pwew.

The DAC32 is sometimes a little brighter than the SBT+DAC, but not always...maybe mains input is the variable...but the difference is minimal.

I would like to test a high-end DAC over 2500 euros just for fun, but maybe the Touch is a bottleneck. Compared it to the 500 euro SoTM streamer, but no difference.

SB Touch USB Out to RME ADI-2 DAC FS

Looking to keep my SB Touch as a transport while finally upgrading to an external DAC.

Couldn't find any example via search. What do you think? 50/50?

I know I would have to update the kernal and enable a plugin. What cable would I use? USB-A to USB-B (input on target DAC)?

Any thoughts or insight appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Looking to keep my SB Touch as a transport while finally upgrading to an external DAC.

Couldn't find any example via search. What do you think? 50/50?

I know I would have to update the kernal and enable a plugin. What cable would I use? USB-A to USB-B (input on target DAC)?

Any thoughts or insight appreciated.

https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=27008

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Awesome. Much oblidged!