Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    426

    EDO USB and Qutest

    Hello!
    Have a Chord Qutest on loan from a dealer to see what the fuzz is about.
    Since the Touch was set to USB out I connected the Qutest to the USB output.
    No sound. Tried different USB cables, reset the DAC etc. Still no sound.
    Switched the Touch to Digital Only and connected an optical cable and Voila!
    Sound.
    Is the USB output from the EDO/Touch not suitable for the Qutest?
    I assume I use the EDO standard settings...
    Last edited by Zombie; 2021-02-19 at 08:47.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Heuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nottinghamshire
    Posts
    758
    The only DAC's supported via EDO USB are listed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...YKQ/edit#gid=0

    Use Digital out on the Touch.

    Look forward to hearing your review and thoughts!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    426
    The spreadsheet says the Beresford (sic!) Qutest works fine with USB and doesn't need a USB hub.
    Looks like the rows are not synced.
    The Quad USB DAC is five rows out of sync, but the Qutest is eight rows out of sync so difficult to now what is correct and not.
    Last edited by Zombie; 2021-02-19 at 10:40.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    426
    Have listened to music for a while and with Qutest it sounds more "convincing". I discover new nuances in music I know quite well.
    My Quad USB DAC is no slouch either.
    I have two SBTs, so will rig up two sets with DACs and do A-B

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    6,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Hello!
    Have a Chord Qutest on loan from a dealer to see what the fuzz is about.
    Since the Touch was set to USB out I connected the Qutest to the USB output.
    No sound. Tried different USB cables, reset the DAC etc. Still no sound.
    Switched the Touch to Digital Only and connected an optical cable and Voila!
    Sound.
    Is the USB output from the EDO/Touch not suitable for the Qutest?
    I assume I use the EDO standard settings...
    Did you download the kernel for EDO? There are experimental kernels available for certain DACs but I think the details and some of the kernels are lost in time.
    It will be interesting to hear your impressions of the Qutest.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    426
    Of course I have.
    "Since the Touch was set to USB out I connected the Qutest to the USB output."

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    6,771
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Of course I have.
    "Since the Touch was set to USB out I connected the Qutest to the USB output."
    I am clutching at straws

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    426
    Sometimes USB cables are spooky. The Micromega I had didn't work with the Quad DAC cable and vice versa. Weird.
    But this is the original Qutest cable afaik. Tested the Quad's cable, too, but no cigar.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Staffordshire. UK
    Posts
    4,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Of course I have.
    "Since the Touch was set to USB out I connected the Qutest to the USB output."
    Have you tried via a passive usb hub (or an active one)

    ronnie

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Have you tried via a passive usb hub (or an active one)
    Nope. Don't have any at hand. (More boxes and cables, daaa.)

    Will try it with my PC USB out. It's a demo unit so maybe faulty...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •