Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    I always use Gerrelt's scripts

http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wo...r-on-raspbian/

I hooked up a rpi3b to my TV and installed squeezelite following his routine (more rather than less)

I tried sysdefault:CARD=b1 as output and it worked

I always use -C 10 to prevent squeezelite hogging the output, I have always thought that -z was not recommended

ronnie
    Thanks for that, Ronnie. I've tried one way of running squeezelite as a service, and it could be interesting to try that as an alternative. But the first step in that process is finding an output that works, and that's where I'm stuck.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaca View Post
    Sorry if that's not helpful.. Unfortunately I don't have a skill to assist with problem causes by update in raspbian, all I can do is to suggest possible alternative in case you not aware..
    I've been running squeezelite on raspberry pi 3b and 3b+ with Osmc as OS.. It's basically Kodi / xmbc which can serve as great media centre and allows for lms and squeezelite installation..

Recently I've been also testing Libreelec which is minimal os and although I got squeezeliteon in I'm not sure about LMS.. (I host LMS on my NAS docker.. Ohh I guess you could run LMS in docker on Libreelec too
    This is helpful, as I think it's the way I'm most likely to go. I've tried one other OS: SparkyLinux. It's an independent Debian-based distro, but the Pi version borrows very heavily from PiOS, so it had the same issues. I'll investigate Osmc.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I've just gone back to my 5.10 kernel that I was testing HDMI CEC on ... with kms not fkms and the device is
    vc4-hdmi
    instead of
    b1

Enabled kms via /boot/config.txt ... note I have not tested on RPi4 so not changed the [pi4] section so it would still use fkms there.

changed the end of that file to
    Code:
    [pi4]
    # Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
    dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
    max_framebuffers=2

[all]
    #dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
    dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
    Thanks, Paul. I had no knowledge of Pi video drivers, so I appreciate your making me aware of this aspect of how things worked. vc4=kms-v3d was an interesting experience. Squeezelite had no trouble playing through iec958:CARD=vc4hdmi,DEV=0, and I thought it sounded especially good, but it wouldn't share. And I couldn't find a way to get the now-silent VLC to play video full screen.

Did you try adding the “close” switch to Squeezelite?
    -C 2
    It would make Squeezelite stop using the audio output device when it has nothing to play.
    Not sharing but freeing it for use by something else.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Thanks for that, Ronnie. I've tried one way of running squeezelite as a service, and it could be interesting to try that as an alternative. But the first step in that process is finding an output that works, and that's where I'm stuck.

Just read through the page and follow the detail, it is all explained

a fresh build might help

See here

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1010308

ronnie

Thanks to all who have offered advice and encouragement. I found a solution (for now) in this post. https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1008898

After adding the squeezelite parameter -a :::0 it's working.
    Last edited by RobbH; 2021-02-18 at 09:41. Reason: fixing mangled url

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Did you try adding the “close” switch to Squeezelite?
    -C 2
    It would make Squeezelite stop using the audio output device when it has nothing to play.
    Not sharing but freeing it for use by something else.
    Even though I think my issue is resolved for now, I need to learn more about this option. Is squeezelite able to reclaim the device later, after releasing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Just read through the page and follow the detail, it is all explained

a fresh build might help

See here

https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1010308

ronnie
    Hi, Ronnie. I think I recall that you claimed in some recent post to have a short attention span. I wonder if we could play a round of attention span golf, just to see who's score is lower!

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I think I read through it, but I've been known to miss crucial details in that process.

In any case, I was stuck about 5% of the way through the page, where he says, "Now to start Squeezelite I had to run (ip address is the address of the LMS server):
    sudo /usr/bin/squeezelite-armv6hf -o front:CARD=Set,DEV=0 -s 192.168.2.4 And it worked!"

I couldn't get to the point where I could say it worked, so I didn't see a way to proceed with the rest.

Now that I can, I'm interested. I've always used the -z parameter, because that way I can stop and start squeezelite over ssh. Having it run as a service achieves the same thing. I'm just curious about the reasons for avoiding -z. I've always run it that way. That's a bit like saying, "I've always enjoyed my last cigarette of the day after I go to bed, and I don't see any reason to stop now."

In other words, I'm not doubting that there are reasons for not wanting to daemonize squeezelite, I'd just like to know what they are.

Robb

thanks for the tip "of the fix: -a :::0 to disable mmap"

I remember this as being applicable for pCP v6.

I sure i read somewhere that -z was to be avoided if possible

I have always used Gerrelt's method and If I need to stop Squeezelite, it's just

sudo /etc/init.d/squeezelite [status stop start]

I use -C 10 to get squeezelite to release when not being used (I sometimes use a build of librespot for Spotify)

I don't have any reason why, I just do

Are your toes cold ?

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Even though I think my issue is resolved for now, I need to learn more about this option. Is squeezelite able to reclaim the device later, after releasing it?
    Yes - provided that whatever had it after Squeezelite finished with it also released it when done.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland