Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where would I find a list of DACs that are supported by piCore?

There are too many posts on this site for me to read them all, and I have found nothing so far that answers this question by searching. I haven't worked out how to search for

this AND that AND the other

Is there a list somewhere of hardware that is compatible with piCorePlayer?

Let's say on a Pi 4.

I read somewhere "supports USB DAC", but surely it can't support all of them?

There are too many and with too many variations to have a complete and reliable list.
    However, you can see a few working examples at:
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/projects/
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Thanks Paul.

Which DAC(s) are you particularly interested in? Post in Linux / Unix and ask if anyone has used one with pCP.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Iĺve tried a few USB DACs and most just work out of the box.

Generic ú5 - 16/44.1
    Behringer UCA202- 16/48 max
    HifimeDiy Sabre - 24/96
    Audioquest Dragonfly Black & Red - 24/96

My favourite and in my living room set up with a Pi4
    Khadas Tone Board - 24/192 but potential to go much higher

NB The Pi4 is wearing a Lincoln Binns PiBox Pro case. The Tone Board is wearing the Audiophonics case. The two are close to a perfect match. Identical width.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Which DAC(s) are you particularly interested in? Post in Linux / Unix and ask if anyone has used one with pCP.
    I don't know which DACs. I was hoping to use a "list of supported DACs" as a kind of filter otherwise I would spend far too long chasing all manner of candidates. I already have spent too much time and got nowhere.

I just lost my SB3 and I want to replace it. I like the idea of using Pis as the basis for such devices.

So I suppose my spec is:

Similar to better sound reproduction as a SB3.
    WiFi support
    Ethernet support
    Compatible with a Pi 4.
    Let's say also compatible with piCore.
    LMS client support
    Inputs are a mixture of MP3, FLAC, AIFF.

Optional
    Will run LMS (local storage, else over NFS or SMB)
    Bluetooth support for audio input and/ or output (no idea what the current BT specs offer in the way of bandwidth, latency and fidelity)

Budget: Up to USD 200.

Output to a Marantz PM-66 KI SIG and into KEF R35 speakers.

Music diet: Electronic, Frank Zappa, Jazz, Classical.

I found this

https://sites.google.com/site/picore...st-of-USB-DACs

It has recent additions. I will take a close look.

I don't know if pCP does something special but USB DACs tend to be standard devices that "just work". If you want a starting point I'm using a Behringer UCA 202 with pCP and it works fine. If you don't want a USB DAC there are expansion boards for the Pi, like Hifiberry and other brands. The thing I would look for though is a DAC that is powered by the Pi, USB or expansion board.
    I've lost the thread but someone here had issues with their mains powered DAC connected via USB to the pi. The pi looses contact with the DAC it if it isn't on when the pi starts and as the pi is an always on device and the DAC isn't that wasn't a good match. I tried this with my own mains powered DAC and ran into the same issue. Using the optical out on the Behringer and switching the DAC on and off as needed works fine though.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by v2k View Post
    I don't know if pCP does something special but USB DACs tend to be standard devices that "just work". If you want a starting point I'm using a Behringer UCA 202 with pCP and it works fine. If you don't want a USB DAC there are expansion boards for the Pi, like Hifiberry and other brands. The thing I would look for though is a DAC that is powered by the Pi, USB or expansion board.
    I've lost the thread but someone here had issues with their mains powered DAC connected via USB to the pi. The pi looses contact with the DAC it if it isn't on when the pi starts and as the pi is an always on device and the DAC isn't that wasn't a good match. I tried this with my own mains powered DAC and ran into the same issue. Using the optical out on the Behringer and switching the DAC on and off as needed works fine though.

Take care!
    Just leave the DAC on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Just leave the DAC on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    No.