Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

I think my SliMP3 just died

Hi All,

Yesterday, my wife told me about really bad playback on the kitchen system.

At first, I assumed it was down to the Joggler that I added a few weeks ago, as that's the newest piece of kit, but that seemed fine and the playback was still awful when using the SliMP3 alone.

I switched the SliMP3 with my SqueezeBox2, and that worked fine. So, I've narrowed things down to the SliMP3.

There could be a power issue (the SqueezeBox2 adaptor will power the SliMP3, but the SliMP3 adaptor won't power the SqueezeBox2), but it seems to turn on fine with its own adaptor.

When I put the SliMP3 what the SqueezeBox2 came from, I can't get any sound out at all. All looks well, but just silence.

So, my choices are to either buy a replacement Squeeze device, or buy a DAC for the Joggler.

I don't have a very impressive sound system, so a cheap(ish) DAC should do me.

If that's my best option, my questions are:
    1. Do any of the cheaper DAC's output to RCA cables, or do I need to get an adaptor to feed the RCA's into a 3.5mm socket?
    2. I boot from USB. If I buy a USB splatter, to enable the use of the DAC, will booting from USB still work?
    3. Will all of this be fine, or is it asking a Joggler to do too much?

Thanks,
    Damian

Sounds to me like a perfect application for the DAC32.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingermagic View Post
    1. Do any of the cheaper DAC's output to RCA cables, or do I need to get an adaptor to feed the RCA's into a 3.5mm socket?
    2. I boot from USB. If I buy a USB splatter, to enable the use of the DAC, will booting from USB still work?
    3. Will all of this be fine, or is it asking a Joggler to do too much?
    Have you tried the 3.5mm socket out of the Joggler?
    While not fantastic sound it might be good enough ... especially as it only needs a cable.

I have booted Joggler from a USB stick attached via a powered USB 2 hub and connected a DAC to the same hub and it all worked.
    However, I might have been lucky.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by alfista View Post
    Sounds to me like a perfect application for the DAC32.
    Thanks alfista,

I've not heard of that before.

If it had a LAN port, it would be a great option! Not so good for this situation as it's wifi only.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Have you tried the 3.5mm socket out of the Joggler?
    While not fantastic sound it might be good enough ... especially as it only needs a cable.

I have booted Joggler from a USB stick attached via a powered USB 2 hub and connected a DAC to the same hub and it all worked.
    However, I might have been lucky.
    Thanks Paul,

I'll buy an RCA to 3.5mm adaptor and see how it sounds.

Back to the SliMP3.

Is there audio coming out of both channel but it just sound terrible ?

If so, then it is possible failure of some components on final output stage such as caps which typically fail with age. Caps are relatively easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Back to the SliMP3.

Is there audio coming out of both channel but it just sound terrible ?

If so, then it is possible failure of some components on final output stage such as caps which typically fail with age. Caps are relatively easy to replace.
    Hi bpa,

I don't seem to be able to get anything out of the SliMP3 at the moment. On the upstairs system, it's just silent.

I'll try plugging it in downstairs again. That's where it was initially very badly breaking up, but maybe that was it's 'last stand', and it's now just silent after a reboot?

Hi bpa,

I don't seem to be able to get anything out of the SliMP3 at the moment. On the upstairs system, it's just silent.

I'll try plugging it in downstairs again. That's where it was initially very badly breaking up, but maybe that was it's 'last stand', and it's now just silent after a reboot?
    Does display work and react as if playing tracks ?
    If not then check PSU.- most common fault with SB players.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Does display work and react as if playing tracks ?
    If not then check PSU.- most common fault with SB players.
    Yes, the visuals are fine.

Yes, the visuals are fine.
    I think there is hope that it is repairable, as SLiMP3 is not that complicated but some parts are no longer be available.

A partial list of parts is given in the download from this URL. https://docplayer.fr/69612085-Slim-d...ire-page1.html
    Look at page 19-20.

I suspect JoeMuc2009 would be best person to fix ( see https://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/) - however if you are in the UK - you may need a carnet for the SLiMP3 to avoid paying duty twice.
    Maybe even PM JoeMuc2009 for this thoughts.
    A Hifi repair shop would be next best choice but probably with a lot of Covid compliant "handholding".