Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Radio playback over SB1 is slowed with lower pitch

I am running LMS on a Synology DS-718+ with a mix of SB1, SB3, and Boom Radio in the house. I like to play a local public radio station, and on the SB3 and Boom it works fine. On the SB1 the stream will play, but everything is a bit slow and the frequency is pitched down a bit. After half an hour or so the stream dies, and restarts, but still at a low pitch and slow playback rate. I suspect that there is a sample-rate mismatch (SB1 only knows, say, about a 48kHz sampling rate but is receiving a 44.1kHz stream...or vice-versa..I dunno), but it only happens with one of my players -- the SB1, which also happens to be wire-connected to my home network. I'm using the native radio feature on LMS, nothing fancy.

Any thoughts on what might cause this and how I can fix it?

What version of LMS - need to check in case it is old and there is a relevant bug fix.

It is possible stream is being played direct by Boom anb SB3 and not by SB1.
    What is the URL of the stream being played in order to check whether stream headers are being parsed correctly and to understand the correct bit rate

LMS details:

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.6 - 1452060463 @ Thu Jan 21 02:17:04 UTC 2016
    Hostname: DS718
    Server IP Address: 10.3.2.2
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9002
    Operating system: Synology DiskStation - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: unknown
    Perl Version: 5.24.0 - x86_64-linux
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 6

The player in question:
    Player Model: Squeezebox
    Firmware: 40
    Player IP Address: 10.3.2.56
    Player MAC Address: 00:04:20:05:8e:de

I don't know how to find the URL of the stream being played. I get there by selecting the following in the UI: Radio>Local>FM and then scrolling down until I see 91.5 KOPB. If you can tell me how to find the URL I'll be more than happy to go get it.

The LMS is very old - but upgrading might be an issue since you are running on a Synology box.

To see the stream URL you can use the LMS web interface.
    If you put the mouse over the playlist item you should see some icons appear on the right - and in particular a capital M for More.
    Click the M and then the left hand side of the screen should show details including the stream URL.

I tried a search in LMS for KOPB ... it found OPB but that might not be the same.
    Might need to be in USA to find it that way.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    The LMS is very old - but upgrading might be an issue since you are running on a Synology box.

If you put the mouse over the playlist item you should see some icons appear on the right - and in particular a capital M for More.
    Click the M and then the left hand side of the screen should show details including the stream URL.

I tried a search in LMS for KOPB ... it found OPB but that might not be the same.
    Might need to be in USA to find it that way.
    That's a Synology DS718 ? Is that an Intel CPU or Arm ?
    If it is Intel then you should be able to run an up to date LMS (8.1.x or 8.2.x) in a Docker, if not then get a Pi, install piCorePlayer & LMS and point it at the NAS.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    LMS "Now Playing" data shows:
    TuneIn Radio Options
    Save to Favorites
    File Format: AAC
    Bitrate: 64kbps CBR (Converted to 1411kbps PCM)
    URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?...1852c82b79f8d8
    Title: All Things Considered
    On Spotify: All Things Considered

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If it is Intel then you should be able to run an up to date LMS (8.1.x or 8.2.x) in a Docker, if not then get a Pi, install piCorePlayer & LMS and point it at the NAS.
    Data sheet here indicates it's based on the Intel Celeron

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    The Perl version listed shows an x86_64 - so prbably best use the Docker solution.

It is an AAC stream but SB1 cannot play AAC natively so it needs to be transcoded.

So it looks like the transcode is broken. IIRC Back in 7.7.* some transcode rules assumed 44.1kHz and this is a 48Khz stream so that might explain the slow playback - however Boom and SB3 will use the same transcode.

Strange. Better to update and then see if probelm goes away.