Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    It really shouldn't be that difficult. I have had my Pi connected directly to the router and via powerline adaptors with no issues.
    That's what I was expecting, this was a fresh Raspbian install so nothing special, but as soon as I wire up the pi it connects through 169.254.x.x rather than 192.168.x.x (even after a reboot) which brings down every other powerline adapter on my network. Maybe some incompatibility with powerline adapters and/or a Sky router - I just dont know.
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-13 at 07:34.
    muso developer
    6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (80,000+ tracks)
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

but as soon as I wire up the pi it connects through 169.254.x.x rather than 192.168.x.x
    I saw this recently with a new Raspberry Lite install.

Not knowing what it meant I opened the router dhcp page and the pi was registered with a usual 192........... IP address.

I used that for access.

Mostly I use the Desktop raspberry PI OS and connect remotely via either VNC or SSH

URL="https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-Q-with-Powerline-adapters/td-p/3139455[/URL]

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    That's what I was expecting, this was a fresh Raspbian install so nothing special, but as soon as I wire up the pi it connects through 169.254.x.x rather than 192.168.x.x (even after a reboot) which brings down every other powerline adapter on my network. Maybe some incompatibility with powerline adapters and/or a Sky router - I just dont know.
    I don't know anything about the Sky router but having only two outputs seems a bit strange. Have you tried reserving an IP address in the router settings instead of a static address?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    Honestly I am almost at the point of giving up - my sticking plaster solution has failed today and its bringng down my entire wired network again, so I have to fall back to wireless-only.

I just want the pi to be wired to my network, I can't believe so much complicated configuration is required. Might try a direct connection to my router rather than via powerline adapters later, but I'm not optimistic it will make any difference.
    Simple setup:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hostapd dnsmasq iptables
    Set a static address for wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces:
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet static
            address 192.168.13.1
            netmask 255.255.255.0
    create a new file in /etc/dnsmasq.d (e.g. squeezebox.conf)
    Code:
    interface=wlan0
    localise-queries
    bogus-priv
    dhcp-authoritative

# Only assign addresses to known MAC addresses (listed below)
    dhcp-range=wlan0,192.168.13.0,static

# Squeezebox Touch (Assurancetourix)
    dhcp-host=wlan0,00:04:20:xx:yy:zz,192.168.13.2,assurancetourix

#  Squeezebox Boom (Malacoustix)
    dhcp-host=wlan0,00:04:20:xx:yy:zz,192.168.13.5,malacoustix
    (edit MAC addresses and names to match your config)

Start services:
    Code:
    systemctl start dnsmasq
    systemctl start hostapd
    You will now see a wifi SSID named `test` that you can connect to with one of the configured squeezeboxes (MAC adress) and register with LMS

To allow the players to `see` the internet you need to enable forwarding
    Code:
     echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    ... and add the following firewall rules
    Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT
    iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

I wired the pi directly to the router so taking the powerline adapter out of the equation, and everything is now up and running, with the eth0 connection on 192.168.0.10 reserved only through the router. That's as I want it, but I had to move my hive home hub elsewhere (you guessed it, through a powerline adapter).

I think the original probem may have been that the powerline adapter for the pi was in a surge-protected power strip, I've read that this is frowned upon but only because it can affect speed, not because it can bring your whole network down - and I've done this before without such a disaster. We'll see if things stablilise with this configuration, I'm not counting my chickens just yet!

EDIT: though the pi connection has been stable through eth0 and wlan0, the powerline network is going up & down at irregular intervals. I'll turn the pi off see if that cures that.
    No it doesn't so it's not the pi at fault this time - my powerline system is just flakey, more reason to keep this pi well away from them.
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-14 at 07:15.
    muso developer

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    Simple setup:
    Many thanks for taking the time to put that together. I'll try that if my current configuration fails.
    muso developer