Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ah the lovely Squeezebox Touch - it has returned to the fold

I've just bought a Squeezebox Touch - complete with high quality linear PSU - and I'm happy to see that this forum is still going strong in 2021.

Has anyone returned to the SBT after owning a high-end streamer for whatever reason?

There are so many alternatives / choices out there - Bluesound, Auralic, Naim, Raspberry Pi, Mac Mini, ad infinitum - so it would be interesting to know if anyone has been around the streamer block and come back home to its 2009 roots ?

OK this Touch is sounding exceptionally good with my current Metrum Octave MK2 DAC (which is a fussy beast) - I wonder how much of that is attributed to the linear power supply that came with it.

The PSU is a MCRU two box design with the small regulator box nearer the Touch. But the sound from this thing (as a transport for now) is - no doubt about it - sounding top notch.

There have been measurements taken in the past (by various members) of the original PSU vs premium ones and they measured the same.

Quote Originally Posted by stop-spinning View Post
    OK this Touch is sounding exceptionally good with my current Metrum Octave MK2 DAC (which is a fussy beast) - I wonder how much of that is attributed to the linear power supply that came with it.

The PSU is a MCRU two box design with the small regulator box nearer the Touch. But the sound from this thing (as a transport for now) is - no doubt about it - sounding top notch.
    I hope you got a good deal on the combination if this is the power supply.
    https://www.mcru.co.uk/product/mains...ower-supply-8/

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fizbin View Post
    There have been measurements taken in the past (by various members) of the original PSU vs premium ones and they measured the same.
    Well measurements or not - the linear power supply makes a very big difference to the sound even when used as a pure transport. I tried the stock power supply and, to say it didn't come close is an understatement.

Measurements don't seem to reveal everything - pop along to ASR and get your fix from there - but listening to various equipment is far more important and evident.

It's really important though to have a revealing set of speakers to 'hear' those differences. Else, yes, poor measuring or the best measuring may in fact sound the same with your average set of transducers.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    It has the same configuration but it's not that beast of a power supply. Goes to show what potential you can get out of the SBT though!

An SBT on average sells for £100 (sometimes less) - and this power supply £600! So what you effectively get is a streamer for £700! Disproportionately priced you may think, but if the combo exceeds a modern day £1000 streamer then, money well spent I guess if you think of it that way.

I know for a fact that the linear power supply I have is hugely influential in a positive way - what that £600 one will do I can only imagine!

if you are deadly serious about your SBT - perhaps you owe it to yourself to invest in one of these power supplies and not worry about the ratio of the investment. You have to try it for yourself and see I guess.

Measurements don't seem to reveal everything - pop along to ASR and get your fix from there - but listening to various equipment is far more important and evident.
    I assume you used blind A-B to determine that. What in a PSU else than low noise could affect the sound?

It has the same configuration but it's not that beast of a power supply. Goes to show what potential you can get out of the SBT though!

An SBT on average sells for £100 (sometimes less) - and this power supply £600! So what you effectively get is a streamer for £700! Disproportionately priced you may think, but if the combo exceeds a modern day £1000 streamer then, money well spent I guess if you think of it that way.

I know for a fact that the linear power supply I have is hugely influential in a positive way - what that £600 one will do I can only imagine!

if you are deadly serious about your SBT - perhaps you owe it to yourself to invest in one of these power supplies and not worry about the ratio of the investment. You have to try it for yourself and see I guess.
    I owe it to myself not to waste money on power supplies that don't make any audible difference.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post

Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit]: but now I understand

Code:
    Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme Gold Plated Audiophile fuse.
    And I like that, this is my preferred one https://www.mcru.co.uk/product-categ...-grade-solder/
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-02-14 at 00:48.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit]: but now I understand

Code:
    Hi-Fi Tuning Supreme Gold Plated Audiophile fuse.
    And I like that, this is my preferred one https://www.mcru.co.uk/product-categ...-grade-solder/
    This is from Titan Cables. They constantly use "dialectic" instead of "dielectric"
    https://titanaudio.co.uk/pages/why-buy-mains-cables