Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    There is a new f/w release from the community for the Radio/Touch/Controller which you can enable in LMS V8.1.1 https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ller-and-LMS-8

Don't think it does anything for sound quality but you will need to check the release notes. EDO will allow playback of 192Kb files via USB on the Touch but the audio quality is really down to your DAC.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: SB3>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    There is a new f/w release from the community for the Radio/Touch/Controller which you can enable in LMS V8.1.1 https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ller-and-LMS-8

Don't think it does anything for sound quality but you will need to check the release notes. EDO will allow playback of 192Kb files via USB on the Touch but the audio quality is really down to your DAC.
    Thanks - I bought this SBT used and noticed during power up that the 'Enhanced Digital Output Unsupported by Logitech' message appears on power up - I hadn't noticed this before so the previous owner must have installed EDO.

Funny thing is - I reset the SBT to factory defaults about a Week or so ago but this message is still coming up (I never noticed it before). Not that I'm too bothered - it's all working OK - I just wondered why you can't reset it back to how it was out of interest.

Does EDO give me other enhanced options if I choose not to use the USB out? Does it also Enhance coax?

Quote Originally Posted by stop-spinning View Post

Funny thing is - I reset the SBT to factory defaults about a Week or so ago but this message is still coming up (I never noticed it before). Not that I'm too bothered - it's all working OK - I just wondered why you can't reset it back to how it was out of interest.

Does EDO give me other enhanced options if I choose not to use the USB out? Does it also Enhance coax?
    One needs to reset the software to v7.7.3 (I might have the version number slightly wrong) but go to software update on the touch

With EDO all three digital outputs will give the enhanced rate, the difference may be with the RX chip in the playback device

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    One needs to reset the software to v7.7.3 (I might have the version number slightly wrong) but go to software update on the touch

With EDO all three digital outputs will give the enhanced rate, the difference may be with the RX chip in the playback device

ronnie
    Ok well I'm OK with having EDO on the Touch as it stands from the previous owner, so I guess I don't need to reset back to v7.7.3. I have just downloaded and installed LMS 8.1.1 on my PC so does this mean the Touch will get its updates from the PC as a proxy from here on in?

Good to know that the EDO also affects the coax in a positive way too.

It really is a good transport although you would expect an Auralic Mini transport to be better - but that's not there case in my tests. Perhaps the software has a lot to do with streaming sound quality too.

does this mean the Touch will get its updates from the PC as a proxy from here on in?
    Check by going to Settings > Advanced > Software Update it should be (7.8.0. r 16754)

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    Check by going to Settings > Advanced > Software Update it should be (7.8.0. r 16754)
    Yes it is exactly that - how did you know? Was this your SBT?

Should I attempt to upgrade this software further?

To get the latest community f/w you need to go into LMS>Settings>Advanced>Community Firmware and check the box. It can take up to 24 hours for the f/w to appear and you will need to reboot the Touch when it will offer to install the latest. Latest f/w is 8.0.1-r16835 which you can check from within LMS>Players. Follow these instructions carefully if you are going to upgrade:

To simplify installation of the new firmware, Michael has created a plugin for LMS which redirects the firmware update check and download to my alternate site.

It's available in the 3rd Party Plugin section of the LMS Settings->Plugins tab. After installaton and an LMS restart, navigate to Settings->Advanced->Community Firmware for Touch/Radio/Controller and click the checkbox to enable the redirection. You MUST be running LMS 8.0.1 or newer to install the plugin. piCorePlayer requires LMS 8.0.1-1608617100 from December 22, 2020 or newer.

Once enabled, it can take up to the duration set in the LMS Software Updates setting, which by default is 24 hours, before the firmware is downloaded and your device prompts with the option to install the update.
    You can also navigate to Settings->Advanced->Software Update to check if v8.0.1rxxxxx is available on the device. You also have to have enabled the check for software updates for LMS to even look for new firmware.

I STRONGLY suggest that you perform a Factory Reset of your devices before installing the new v8.0.1 firmware for the first time. Many of the patches available for the original firmware are built-in now and may cause squeezeplay to fail to start at boot. The Enhanced Digital Output (EDO) applet for the Touch works with the new firmware. However, make sure you factory reset before upgrading if EDO is already runing on your Touch. Also, make sure you connect your device back to the local LMS server and not mysqueezebox.com after the factory reset to be able to install the community firmware.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: SB3>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller

To get the latest community f/w you need to go into LMS>Settings>Advanced>Community Firmware and check the box. It can take up to 24 hours for the f/w to appear and you will need to reboot the Touch when it will offer to install the latest. Latest f/w is 8.0.1-r16835 which you can check from within LMS>Players. Follow these instructions carefully if you are going to upgrade:
    Wow - incredible how far you have taken this software and this really does make me serious think about keeping the Touch and to keep LMS as my preferred streaming platform. I don't yet quite understand why the Touch as a transport sounds better than the Auralic Mini as a transport to my AN DAC - that should not be the case - perhaps LMS streaming software is better sounding - I don't know yet because the Mini is meant to be better hardware than the Touch.

Anyway - is there an advantage of using the latest community software over and above the version I am on now?

Not at the moment as far as I can tell although it does fix the bass dropout in the Radio.

Consider getting yourself a DAC32 which has some of us quite exited at the moment. I have a feeling it will be better sounding than a Touch and only costs ú65/E65. Details in third party software part of the Forum.

Not at the moment as far as I can tell although it does fix the bass dropout in the Radio.

Consider getting yourself a DAC32 which has some of us quite exited at the moment. I have a feeling it will be better sounding than a Touch and only costs ú65/E65. Details in third party software part of the Forum.

Does the DAC32 take an external DAC? This is how I am using the SBT - as a transport.