Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name:  Thermaltake BlacX.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  25.6 KB

I use one of these BlacX docks from Thermaltake with a 3.5" 2tb WD Blue drive for my music collection, attached to a dedicated server.

I quite like the docks, as they are meant to be used with raw internal drives, no enclosure necessary. There are a number of models. The ones I have (an older USB2 dock and a newer USB3) accommodate a single drive, either a 2.5" (laptop type) or 3.5" (desktop type). Other models can accept two drives, very useful for copying or cloning. They're reasonably priced and offer much flexibility, not to mention the ability to choose the actual drive for the characteristics you want.

My original use was with my primary desktop computer. I make backups to 2.5" drives for important files and store these offsite (bank safety deposit box). More recently I've used one as the music source drive for my music server. I use the older USB2 version for the server, as I don't need more speed in that context.

I recently built an rPi4 with PiCorePlayer and tested it with the BlacX dock and it worked perfectly for my entire library. I went back to my small fanless Windows box (FitPC3) after upgrading it to Win10 but there remain some issues with that device's limited ability to work with Win10; I may go back to the Pi4.

The BlacX dock will remain in use whichever server I'm using.

R.
    Last edited by RonM; 2021-02-15 at 12:55.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Are pi experts confident enough that ANY external USB3 SSD drive can be formatted to work as attached storage? I'm considering this Samsung one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1 but the compatible devices are listed as "Gaming Console, Television, Desktop" with no mention of Linux compatibility. It's also stated as having AES 256bit hardware encryption with Password unlock - as that does say hardware not software that should survive an NTFS reformat - but will it work? When is the password required?
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-15 at 15:26.
    muso developer
    6 x SB3, 4 x SBBoom, 1 x SBTouch, rPi-4 based LMS on 2TB SSD (80,000+ tracks)
    Marantz, Denyo, & Bantam amps,
    Harbeth, Mordaunt Short & Monitor Audio speakers
    Heed Canamp + Beyerdynamic headphones

Quote Originally Posted by jezbo View Post
    Are pi experts confident enough that ANY external USB3 SSD drive can be formatted to work as attached storage? I'm considering this Samsung one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1 but the compatible devices are listed as "Gaming Console, Television, Desktop" with no mention of Linux compatibility. It's also stated as having AES 256bit hardware encryption with Password unlock - as that does say hardware not software that should survive an NTFS reformat - but will it work? When is the password required?
    Someone in this thread is using a T7 on a Pi.
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=286109

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Someone in this thread is using a T7 on a Pi.
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=286109

Thanks that's useful, though to be sure I guess I'd better check the power consumption of any potential SSD, I'm not sure where to find the specs for those.
    muso developer

Thanks that's useful, though to be sure I guess I'd better check the power consumption of any potential SSD, I'm not sure where to find the specs for those.
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/14661...ssds-roundup/6

I have two Pi4 Server players, one with a Samsung T5 attached SSD and one with a Samsung T7 SSD, both 500GB and both formatted to ext4 format. Both pi's also run an IQAudio DAC+ (now official Raspberry pi dac) and both are powered by the official Raspberry Pi power supply. The power supply is more than adequate for this configuration and is very inexpensive.

Here's a picture of the pi and dac underneath a T7 sitting on part of a pic case acting as (probably un-needed) heat sink. The whole lot sitting on top of my Topping A9 headphone amp.

Name:  pi4_SSD.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  178.7 KB

The "case" is a bit of a lash up made from two IQAudio cases but it serves it's purpose.

Scanning is very fast in this configuration:

Name:  scan.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  53.8 KB

Music Store and VPN Server: Synology DS215J NAS
    Study Server: LMS 8.1.0 on Pi 4B pCp 7.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    Refurbished 1962 RCA Stereo Console Server/Player LMS 8.1.0 on Pi 4B pCp 7.0.0/IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Players: x2: pCp 7.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ Audio DAC+
    LAN Player/ADC pCp 7.0.0 on Pi 3B / IQ audio Codec +
    PC Players: x2: Squeezelite on Windows 10 PC.
    VPN Mobile & Car Player: Material/SqueezePlayer on Android Phone

Thanks guys, Samsung T5 or T7 looks fine then, and doesn't seem to suffer the same issues as the Sandisk Extreme of running very hot (which would be a concern).
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-16 at 05:34.
    muso developer

ExFat or NTFS

OK related question: would you format an SSD attached to a pi intended mainly for use as a media server as ExFAT or NTFS (or ext4), and why?

I've read eg. here (https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-ntfs-on-linux) that "NTFS is slower than exFAT, especially on Linux, but it's more resistant to fragmentation.". I'm guessing a media server will remain relatively static (just new media files added regularly, rarely deleted), so fragmentation may not be an issue. But if I indend to move the OS to the SSD as well, does fragmentation become a concern?
    Last edited by jezbo; 2021-02-16 at 07:10.
    muso developer

OK related question: would you format an SSD attached to a pi intended mainly for use as a media server as ExFAT or NTFS, and why?

I've read eg. here (https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-ntfs-on-linux) that "NTFS is slower than exFAT, especially on Linux, but it's more resistant to fragmentation.". I'm guessing a media server will remain relatively static (just new media files added regularly, rarely deleted), so fragmentation may not be an issue. But if I indend to move the OS to the SSD as well, does fragmentation become a concern?
    Some use ext4

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Some use ext4
    If the drive will only ever be attached to the Pi (and contains the OS) then definitely ext4.

If you might want to attach the drive to a Windows or Mac system at some point then things get a bit more complex. The latest Pi 5.10 Linux kernel has native ExFAT support, which should significantly improve performance, but PCP isn't there yet I think so you need the slower FUSE drivers until an upgrade if that's what you plan to use. ExFAT avoids any potential permission / ownership issues, works well across different platforms but lacks the protections and robustness of ext4 or NTFS.

Personally I use a 6TB WD Elements spinning drive on a 4GB Pi4 with two ext4 partitions, the first (32GB) with the OS and second with the data. It's running an OMV File Server with an Emby video server under Docker, so large files. Not lightening fast but more than adequate. Runs cool 24/7, the drive isn't completely silent but it's tucked away in a coat cupboard so not important for me.
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30