What is the use of COMPILATION tag with classical music?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Apesbrain
    • Jun 2005

What is the use of COMPILATION tag with classical music?

It's not uncommon for a classical album to feature compositions by multiple composers. Out of habit I've been tagging these COMPILATION=1, but now I'm wondering whether there is any sense to this. Is there any use case with LMS where a COMPILATION tag on classical music would serve a valid purpose? Thanks.
  • Daverz
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Apesbrain
    It's not uncommon for a classical album to feature compositions by multiple composers. Out of habit I've been tagging these COMPILATION=1, but now I'm wondering whether there is any sense to this. Is there any use case with LMS where a COMPILATION tag on classical music would serve a valid purpose? Thanks.
    I only use it on multiple disc sets with multiple composers and no obvious album artist.

Comment

• BJW
      • Nov 2012

I have a large collection but only 5% or so is classical. However, for me if a CD isn't "someones" like say mozarts, or Arthur fielders, it generally is a comp imo. So I guess I go by either a unified composer, or unified conductor / orchestra, and if not, it's a comp... there may be exceptions, but again, generally speaking, that's what I do.

I guess the usage case is to separate comps from more traditional classical CDs in a listing.
      Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
      http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Comment

• dolodobendan
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Apesbrain
        I never thought about that. How would you tag a live recording with a piano concerto (e.g. Schumann) and a violin concerto (e.g. Beethoven)? I wouldn't call this a compilation despite it having two different composers, genres, and potentially soloists. My guess would be that there's more headache than an actual purpose in using the COMPILATION tag here. In my little bubble, a compilation would be a disc full of excerpts with different composers AND artists. But these discs are usually pretty bad, so...

4/5 of my discs (probably more) are classical discs. I don't think using COMPILATION would make it easier to find a particular disc. In these cases, I use the artist, the composer, or the album title to find the disc. Or the work.
        QLMS [email protected] x64 (digimaster) / QNAP 469L (QTS 4.3.4)
        LMS 8.4 x64 / Intel NUC8 i3 (Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS)

Comment

• thniels
          • Dec 2020

I've always considered COMPILATION to be an album with tracks that were not originally meant to go together, e.g. tracks (or performances) that were previously released in some original form and now re-compiled in a new release. Of course, this is not a bulletproof definition .

Oscar Peterson's "Take the A Train" has "Hymn to Freedom" from a different recording session (and sticks out like a sore thumb both in style and recording quality). Not really a compilation, is it? Ozzy Osbourne's "Tribute" was different performances, topped off with a studio outtake. Also hardly a compilation. Anne-Sophie Mutter just released an album with John Williams, playing movie scores. Even if the pieces are very different, it is still the same concert, the same composer and an original release and thus not a compilation in my book. Same Mutter released "Early Years", which are mostly previously released material remastered. That I'd consider a compilation.

I don't consider an album that has tracks with different musicians a compilation, unless it honours the above. But then what about soundtracks. They look an awful lot like compilations on many parameters. Aargh!

It's a bloody detective job figuring this out, sometimes. Particularly if you are a music-addict and buy more music than you have time to investigate properly .

p.s. While I don't often search for compilations, I often use it as a cue to whether or not it's what I am looking for, once it pops up.
          Thomas Nielsen

I breathe music...

Comment

• Apesbrain
            • Jun 2005

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. On further thought, I have maybe one classical album for which COMPILATION=1 makes sense: the soundtrack LP to 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's a collection of tracks by different composers and different performers.

Comment

• RonM
              • Apr 2008

There are lots of classical compilation albums, although not necessarily ones you might actually want to listen to. But they do serve a purpose.

For instance, there are a series of "Greatest Hits" albums, including for Mozart, Beethoven and many others. These are most often recordings of well-known works by various orchestras, choirs, string quartets, etc. The compilation tag would be appropriate for these. In the days when CDs or vinyl were the only way to get at recorded music, they represented inexpensive and reasonably listenable shortcuts to the works of the composer for classical newbies. Even now, using streaming services, it's hard to get a good take on the major significant works of a single composer unless you actually know what you are looking for.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pachelbel's greaest hit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	1571376

My favorite in this category (actually the only one I ever listen to) is the amusingly titled "Pachelbel's Greatest Hit", which is a multitude of takes on the iconic Canon in D. It includes a standard version by Festival Strings Lucerne, one on traditional instruments by the Baroque Chamber Orchestra, a sung version by Cleo Laine, an electronic version by Tomita and the Plasma Symphony Orchestra, and a brass version (Canadian Brass). All are well-played and reasonably well recorded, but the principal attraction is the "Greatest Hit" (singular) title. Very clearly a compilation album.

R.
              Last edited by RonM; 2021-02-21, 03:49.
              LMS on a dedicated server (PiCorePlayer)
              Transporter (Ethernet) - main listen ining, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
              Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
              Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
              Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
              Radio (WiFi) - home office
              Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
              Touch x 1 - spare
              UE Radio x 1 - spare
              Boom x 1 - spare
              Controller x 1 - Spare

Comment

• d6jg
                • Feb 2011

I don’t do classical really even though my taste is very eclectic but I do have some classical compilations. Here in UK there was a popular series of “Classical Experience” - there were four of five volumes. These are compilations.
                Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• dolodobendan
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by RonM

[ATTACH]33496[/ATTACH]

My favorite in this category (actually the only one I ever listen to) is the amusingly titled "Pachelbel's Greatest Hit", which is a multitude of takes on the iconic Canon in D. It includes a standard version by Festival Strings Lucerne, one on traditional instruments by the Baroque Chamber Orchestra, a sung version by Cleo Laine, an electronic version by Tomita and the Plasma Symphony Orchestra, and a brass version (Canadian Brass). All are well-played and reasonably well recorded, but the principal attraction is the "Greatest Hit" (singular) title. Very clearly a compilation album.

R.
                  Oh my, I actually have this one, too! But it doesn't fit my definition of a compilation: The disc features complete works (the same one several times, but still) of one composer (arrangements can be tricky, yes). Very clearly not a compilation album.

Comment

• d6jg
                    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by dolodobendan
                    Oh my, I actually have this one, too! But it doesn't fit my definition of a compilation: The disc features complete works (the same one several times, but still) of one composer (arrangements can be tricky, yes). Very clearly not a compilation album.
                    I’m with Ron. That’s as good an example of a compilation as you’ll find.
                    Jim

Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• dolodobendan
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by d6jg
                      I’m with Ron. That’s as good an example of a compilation as you’ll find.
                      Okay. What about a disc with two recordings of Beethoven's fifth?

Comment

• d6jg
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by dolodobendan
                        Okay. What about a disc with two recordings of Beethoven's fifth?
                        Depends who its by
                        Jim

Comment

• dolodobendan
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by d6jg
                          Depends who its by
                          Defining the "who" can be VERY tricky in classical music (conductor, orchestra, soloist(s), principal violin, chorus master, etc.). It's a dark path into madness.

Comment

Working...