Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Tidal streaming bit-depth and sampling rate?

I'm using the Tidal plug-in in LMS 8.1.1.

I found that the sampling rate is always 44.1K as seen on my DAC. But I know some of these recordings have 48K sampling rate as seen on Roon.

So why am I not getting the higher sampling rate? Or is the Tidal plug-in always downsampling everything to 16/44.1K?

Also, it'd be nice that I see what bit-depth and sampling rate a particular tracking I'm playing. I'm using iPeng, and it just shows FLAC without additional info.

When there are multiple albums of the same name but different sampling/mastering available on Tidal, I want to know which one I'm playing.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    I'm using the Tidal plug-in in LMS 8.1.1.

I found that the sampling rate is always 44.1K as seen on my DAC. But I know some of these recordings have 48K sampling rate as seen on Roon.

So why am I not getting the higher sampling rate? Or is the Tidal plug-in always downsampling everything to 16/44.1K?

Also, it'd be nice that I see what bit-depth and sampling rate a particular tracking I'm playing. I'm using iPeng, and it just shows FLAC without additional info.

When there are multiple albums of the same name but different sampling/mastering available on Tidal, I want to know which one I'm playing.

Thanks.
    Many Tidal files are MQA encoded and Roon does the first MQA unfold. Perhaps that is the difference you are seeing.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Tidal streaming bit-depth andsampling rate?

> Many Tidal files are MQA encoded and Roon does the first MQA unfold.
    > Perhaps that is the difference you are seeing.

Does Squeezebox transport MQA? According to TIDAL documentation MQA
    would need to be explicitely requested by the dev (me). Something I
    certainly did not do :-)

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

--

Michael
    I've seen people here report that they have passed through Tidal MQA files, via a TOUCH, to an external MQA capable DAC and that it works. Can't test myself as I don't subscribe to TIDAL or have an MQA capable DAC.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

MQA sort of works

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post

--

Michael
    Something has changed - Tidal now has a lot of MQA redbook-quality files (not sure what the point is) that cause the MQA light on my DAC (Pro-ject Pre Box S2) to come on when I play them using LMS, Robert Plant's Fate of Nations for example. However higher quality (24bit or higher sample-rate greater than 44.1 Khz) do not do so. I presume Tidal is streaming the MQA encoded files when the hi-fi, not master, stream is selected. I don't know what contractual or legal restraints, if any, you might have but I'll ask anyway - would it be possible to have a option to select the 'master' stream? I don't need LMS to do anything more than pass the stream unaltered to the DAC. Thanks.

TIdal MQA streaming via LMS

Quote Originally Posted by pjc8151 View Post
    Something has changed - Tidal now has a lot of MQA redbook-quality files (not sure what the point is) that cause the MQA light on my DAC (Pro-ject Pre Box S2) to come on when I play them using LMS, Robert Plant's Fate of Nations for example. However higher quality (24bit or higher sample-rate greater than 44.1 Khz) do not do so. I presume Tidal is streaming the MQA encoded files when the hi-fi, not master, stream is selected. I don't know what contractual or legal restraints, if any, you might have but I'll ask anyway - would it be possible to have a option to select the 'master' stream? I don't need LMS to do anything more than pass the stream unaltered to the DAC. Thanks.
    I am very new in this LMS/Squeezelite/piCorePlayer environment and my programming skills are very limited.

I am experiencing very similar issues as you mention. I use piCorePlayer with LMS on Rpi4 with my SMSL M500 DAC plugged in via USB. The DAC can do HW decoding of the MQA, therefore no SW MQA unfold is necessary. I have the settings as recommended with master Tidal subscription and with master chosen as default. The weird part is that if the song is MQA 44.1kHz and lower, my DAC (on its display) tells me that it receives the MQA stream uninterrupted. However, with regard to any other sample rate higher than 44.1 kHz the DAC receives only 44.1 kHz in "some" quality and no MQA. So some songs are delivered in MQA and master quality and some aren't. I know that particular songs have normal sample rate 196 kHz, but the Tidal plugin won't pass it through.

When I use the native Tidal app on my Winows PC - no problem with the same DAC to receive MQA in 196 kHz directly from Tidal. The problem seems to be in the Tidal plugin itself. For when I do the same with files on my NAS - I have some MQA master samples in FLAC on my NAS - the MQA is passed through LMS/Squeezelite like a charm. Even files with much higher sample rate than 196 kHz (I'm talkin 324 kHz). Therefore, I assume that the problem is the Tidal plugin itself. It must down-sample the MQA files of higher sample rate than 44.1 kHz.

And the million bucks question is why? Is there any workaround or process I can take to make this work? If it would involve as less programming as possible, that would be great. My setup is piCorePlayer v7.0.0 | ww linux 5.4.83-pcpCore-v7l | piCore v12.0pCP | Squeezelite v1.9.9-1361-pCP | LMS 8.1.1
    Last edited by dienow; 2021-03-02 at 13:15. Reason: Did not mention versions.