Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sound Quality Tidal via Roku TV vs SB Receiver Music collection at 190 - 320

I intend to try this, I have an extensive well organized MP3 music collection. Listen via a slimdevice classic into a basic $500 Pioneer Elite (modern)receiver via digital optical. Most of my music is 192 - 300mps. I have nicer B&W 5.1 with (2) definitive tech subs, sounds good to me but not really audiophile Quality. My question is will music sound MUCH better with a Tidal premium account via my hdmi out return to stereo via tv or via my music collection on LMS? Will HiFi sound even better. I want good quality sound but hate leaving my devices and music collection. I will always keep the players in non-listening room environments, ie Kitchen garage. I can do the test of course and intend to, wanted to here your thoughts. I do not want to upgrade my equipment or install a DAC ANALOG, not me and not enough room in the back of my unit. I want basic great sounding music at least cost but tidal at $10-$20/month is definitely reasonable.

Please offer comments. Thanks

Duet - SlimDevice
    SBreciever
    Boom(2)
    Radio
    Up to date 8.1 LMS

Like my system but curious if I should move to tidal, prefer not to but my TCL 75" Roku TV is really nice and suspect album art and the like would look awesome when playing music. Thanks everyone.

There's a lot of audiophile nonsense about this on forums, so I'm sure plenty of people will jump in a disagree with me. But here I go for my honest opinion. I've read about numerous double-blind tests of listeners NOT being able to detect differences in high quality mp3 files (usually 192kbps or better) and the lossless original. Most of my music is in FLAC (because why not rip to lossless if ripping). But I've done personal double-blind ABX tests, and rarely can find any "regular" music files that allow me to detect any difference between lame-encoded mp3 files at 192kbps and lossless originals. There are certain "problem" files where I can detect differences, focusing on things like cymbols and certain piano sounds, but these are very rare and I have to work at it to detect. I can detect differences a bit using 128kbps mp3files, but not always. I can almost always detect differences at rates like 64kbps. So bottom line, except for "expectation effects" (You know it is supposed to sound better so it does sound better to you), high bit-rate mp3 files are likely very good in your system and not likely to be bested by lossless files. That said, TIDAL will give you millions of files to listen to. It's worth it for that reason alone.
    Last edited by garym; 2021-02-05 at 13:32.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Greatly appreciated, nice response, thanks, my thoughts also, hope more comment, when I actually do my test will comment on this, cheers

There is a noticwable difference between 192 kbps streams an FLAC streams, 256 and 320 is more difficult to detect.

I know it's slightly off topic, but if you're looking for better SQ with LMS, then you need to think about Qobuz rather than Tidal. Anything HiDef on Tidal now is MQA, which none of our players are licenced for, whereas Qobuz streams HiDef as nice plain FLAC files. I've recently canned by Tidal subscription and flipped entirely to qobuz for that reason, as have others here I understand.
    Last edited by psketch; 2021-02-06 at 12:38.

Qobuz?

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    I know it's slightly off topic, but if you're looking for better SQ with LMS, then you need to think about Qobuz rather than Tidal. Anything HiDef on Tidal now is MAQ, which none of our players are licenced for, whereas Qobuz streams HiDef as nice plain FLAC files. I've recently canned by Tidal subscription and flipped entirely to qobuz for that reason, as have others here I understand.
    Thank you, checked out, will consider. I see it is not an elective in mysqueezebox, suggest it requires a plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by lssartin View Post
    Thank you, checked out, will consider. I see it is not an elective in mysqueezebox, suggest it requires a plugin?
    Yep - just a standard plugin these days - no need to mess around with mysb. Same online support as tidal with 8.x. I haven't noticed any problems with the switch - just the upside of no mqa. You can copy all the playlists etc. from one to the other using soundiiz, so i found the switch a piece of cake.

This was a comparison I read a while back - a bit old now, but still interesting ... BTW - qobuz is cheaper than tidal as well - at least in the UK.

https://www.audioholics.com/audio-te...tidal-vs-qobuz
    Last edited by psketch; 2021-02-06 at 12:41.

I’d agree about Qobuz over Tidal but with your range of SB devices you are limited.
    Check the specs on the Receiver, Radio etc and I think I’m right in saying that none will play 24/96 let alone 24/192. All will play standard FLAC though at 16/44.1 (CD quality).
    Will you hear a difference between 192kbps mp3 and FLAC? Depends entirely on you mainly and what your Receiver is plugged into.
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I’d agree about Qobuz over Tidal but with your range of SB devices you are limited.
    Check the specs on the Receiver, Radio etc and I think I’m right in saying that none will play 24/96 let alone 24/192. All will play standard FLAC though at 16/44.1 (CD quality).
    Will you hear a difference between 192kbps mp3 and FLAC? Depends entirely on you mainly and what your Receiver is plugged into.

I also use Qobuz and like it.

I had TIDAL on a free trial last year and didn't like it at all.

My internet speed is very poor, so I had to restrict streaming to 16/44.1, but after a recent fibre upgrade, I am now able to stream 24/96 'High Resolution' files as well ( on my Transporter and Touch)

I have a Transporter, a Squeezebox Classic, a Touch and a 'Boom' radio.

Most listening is done with my Transporter.

I did try a very expensive streamer- Auralic Aries G2- but sent it back, as it was no better than my 13 year old Transporter!

I am not entirely convinced about 'High Res' files, but some releases are only available in this format on Qobuz.

Some 'standard' 16/44.1 FLAC sounds better than 24/96, but sometimes the opposite is true, so it's good to have both options.

In the end, I think the sound quality has far more to do with mixing/mastering than whether it is 16/44 or 24/96.

Quote Originally Posted by iwalker View Post
    In the end, I think the sound quality has far more to do with mixing/mastering than whether it is 16/44 or 24/96.
    Amen.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify