Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Emilia-Romagna, Italy, Earth, Milky Way, Cosmos

rPi4 USB disk mount problem

My first post here, looking for assistance! I installed piCorePlayer 7.0.0 on a Raspberry Pi 4 - 4BG and everything went smoothly
    I carefully followed the: "How to" page, set up the wifi, configured LMS, installed the Material Skin and so on... everything was OK.
    The streamer (Raspberry Pi) is feeding a CD-DAC mbl C31 via USB and it was supposed to have a Western Digital Mybook exFat 2TB (with my music library onto) connected via USB.

Unfortunately no way to have the HD detected by the system (section Pick from the following detected USB discs to mount)...
    - additional file system are in use
    - exFat file system are in use
    - extension: util-linux.tcz installed
    Nothing... I made Backups of all the changes and Rebooted several times but without luck

So frustrated, I disconnected the WD Mybook and plugged in a generic USB Key 8GB (exFat) just to make some tests... It was immediately detected, mounted and I was able to install and configure Samba in few minutes.
    Everything is working fine this way Swapped the WD Mybook and again no way to have it detected!!! Any idea / advice???

Many thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by TomTheCat; 2021-01-31 at 09:34.

Perhaps being 2TB causes a problem.

Any errors in dmesg ?
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Not likely the problem, but I recall some have reported issues with the USB 3.0 ports for certain drives. Try plugging your drive into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the rPi4 instead. Also, on piCoreplayer main screen click on EXTRAS then BOOTCODES and change the "waitUSB=" to something like 5 or 10, save, then reboot rPi.

if you can edit the subject line, I'd do that as well. Many people that might help with an rPi disk mount problem won't even click on this thread given the title. Change to something like: rPi4 USB disk mount problem
    Last edited by garym; 2021-01-31 at 09:14.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Not likely the problem, but I recall some have reported issues with the USB 3.0 ports for certain drives. Try plugging your drive into one of the USB 2.0 ports on the rPi4 instead. Also, on piCoreplayer main screen click on EXTRAS then BOOTCODES and change the "waitUSB=" to something like 5 or 10, save, then reboot rPi.

if you can edit the subject line, I'd do that as well. Many people that might help with an rPi disk mount problem won't even click on this thread given the title. Change to something like: rPi4 USB disk mount problem
    Done, subject changed!!! You are undoubtedly right, but the childish idea was a citation from the classic Clash - London Calling!
    By the way, the WD HD was plugged into the USB 2.0 port. Tomorrow I will change the "waitUSB=" parameters accordingly your suggestion and let you know. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

Any errors in dmesg ?
    I use 4TB WD Elements portable USB 3.0 drives formatted as NFTS with no issues.
    Last edited by garym; 2021-01-31 at 09:51.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

Any errors in dmesg ?
    I do not think the size of 2TB may cause any sort of problem... Why this particular size???
    Tomorrow I will double check the dmesg, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TomTheCat View Post
    I do not think the size of 2TB may cause any sort of problem... Why this particular size???
    Tomorrow I will double check the dmesg, thank you
    recently another user had lots of problems connecting an external drive for his rPi setup. It worked everywhere else, but he couldn't mount it on rPi. He ultimately just used a different drive I recall.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1005162

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    recently another user had lots of problems connecting an external drive for his rPi setup. It worked everywhere else, but he couldn't mount it on rPi. He ultimately just used a different drive I recall.
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...=1#post1005162
    I was having issues with a WD drive as well, but reformatting solved it. Though with the recent upgrade to pCP7 I also switched to this.

I just played around with "waitUSB=" parameter and carried out some new tests: nothing

Name:  Schermata 2021-02-01 alle 12.48.09.png
Views: 162
Size:  52.5 KB

I tried also to post here the dmesg, but I do not know how to open an inner box into the present message where to paste that code...

If you surround it with code /code (both in square brackets) it will make it fixed font stuff (like terminal output) tidy and stop it replacing things with smilies.

Code:
    like this
    ;)
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin