Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    184

    Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Slowing Down Network??

    I installed an LMS based system for my brother at the end of 2019 or so with LMS running on a RPi 3 B+ on Fedora see: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ch64-on-Pi-3-B

    I had several squeezelite players on pi zero w's. We got it working for a Christmas party he had and it worked great. I don't think he used it much after that since he wasn't really familiar with the setup and was already using other internet connected players (old vTech internet radios). Anyway, all that aside, he basically wasn't using the system but it remained connected. The Pi 3 was connected via lan cable to his router, all other players were wireless. Covid happened and he and his family started teleworking and remote schooling. At some point he got a new work laptop and was having all kinds of bandwidth problems. He started doing speed tests and long story short, ended up unplugging and disconnecting the Pi 3 and all his issues went away and speed tests went up dramatically.

    I was initially very skeptical that the Pi had anything to do with it but I found a thread on the pi forums where a similar problem was described:

    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=166668

    Anybody have any opinions on this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    6,805
    Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    I installed an LMS based system for my brother at the end of 2019 or so with LMS running on a RPi 3 B+ on Fedora see: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...ch64-on-Pi-3-B

    I had several squeezelite players on pi zero w's. We got it working for a Christmas party he had and it worked great. I don't think he used it much after that since he wasn't really familiar with the setup and was already using other internet connected players (old vTech internet radios). Anyway, all that aside, he basically wasn't using the system but it remained connected. The Pi 3 was connected via lan cable to his router, all other players were wireless. Covid happened and he and his family started teleworking and remote schooling. At some point he got a new work laptop and was having all kinds of bandwidth problems. He started doing speed tests and long story short, ended up unplugging and disconnecting the Pi 3 and all his issues went away and speed tests went up dramatically.

    I was initially very skeptical that the Pi had anything to do with it but I found a thread on the pi forums where a similar problem was described:

    https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=166668

    Anybody have any opinions on this?
    The user on the link you provided traced the issue to his.Pi power supply interfering with his router. Is that likely in your case?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The user on the link you provided traced the issue to his.Pi power supply interfering with his router. Is that likely in your case?

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Unknown, he disconnected power and ethernet at the same time so I don't know and I haven't been over to do any troubleshooting. His son was coming home from college for a couple weeks at Christmas and was going to check it out but I don't think he did. This is what I sent him to try:

    1. Try to manually select the same server location when you are
    running the speed tests. So far you've sent me three screenshots and
    each one is to a different end point. You can't control all the
    variables of the test but if they let you select the server location
    in the drop down menu, pick the same one every time so the tests have
    a chance of being run under similar conditions from one run to the
    next. The closest server geographically is usually (not always) the
    best.

    2. I assume you are running the tests from a wifi client like your
    laptop? Can you connect via ethernet cable and run the test again
    with laptop wifi disabled? I'm curious if it's only the wifi side of
    the router that's being degraded. The guy in the forum post said it
    was both wired and wireless.

    3. Try a different power supply on the Pi if you have one of the same specs.

    4. Run an extension cord from a different outlet and plug the pi into
    that to see if moving the power supply away from where the router
    plugs in helps.

    5. Try a longer and/or a different ethernet cable in conjunction with
    and without #4.


    I don't know the results to any of those tests as they haven't been done. I guess I was just curious if anyone on here had any similar experiences? Crappy part is that I was trying to get my brother on board with the LMS ecosystem and he may now be soured on it even though I can't see how LMS would have anything to do with it, even if he left a player streaming continuously with the sound down or something and didn't realize.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    even though I can't see how LMS would have anything to do with it, even if he left a player streaming continuously with the sound down or something and didn't realize.
    even that wouldn't have any noticeable effect on other internet usage on most networks.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    even that wouldn't have any noticeable effect on other internet usage on most networks.
    Yes, concur. I guess I was trying to say that I can't come up with any explanation that would point to LMS which then leaves Fedora or a hardware issue.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States, Florida
    Posts
    12,317
    Quote Originally Posted by sodface View Post
    Yes, concur. I guess I was trying to say that I can't come up with any explanation that would point to LMS which then leaves Fedora or a hardware issue.
    yeah, the power supply theory has at least some plausibility (although still seems odd to me). Otherwise, I'm with you....hard to think of an explanation.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yeah, the power supply theory has at least some plausibility (although still seems odd to me). Otherwise, I'm with you....hard to think of an explanation.
    Thanks. I'd already put together a better server for him as I wasn't really happy with the Pi 3 / Fedora combo but it was all I had for spare hardware and I was using Fedora on my other machines so it all seemed like a good idea at the time. I knew he wasn't really using it so I didn't press him to swap out the server, I should have, it would have avoided all this unpleasantness!
    Last edited by sodface; 2021-02-02 at 19:33.

  8. #8
    Senior Member KeBul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    293
    Is his internet connection DSL?

    Had a long running saga with a friend whose internet connection was slow and unreliable, turned out to be a "noisy" PSU to a camera in a bird box on the outside of his house - wire from the psu to the camera running along side his phone line feed through the same hole in the house wall.

    So yes, in my experience, a noisy psu can affect DSL performance.

    Kev

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Hessen
    Posts
    21
    Have had issues in the past with combined DSL router-modems whereby they overloaded with too many wired LAN connections, if I remember correctly the main symptoms were sporadic off-lining network clients and poor performance. A reboot of the unit normally cleared the issues for a while, the fix was to run a separate switch for the wired connections. In this context one additional connection could be the tipping point.

    The PSU issues mentioned are also interesting. I normally wouldn't suspect that, just as I had little clue with the issue above.
    Main room: Transporter -> ifi tube 2 -> Denon AVR 4306 -> Kef iq9
    Kitchen/living room: Pi 1B+ HifiBerry Digi+ -> Cambridge Audio Dacmagic -> audiolab 8000 -> B&W 685
    Late night listening: Touch -> Little Dot Dac_1 -> Little Dot mk3 headphone amp
    Office: IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ -> JBL bookshelves
    Bedroom: squeezebox radio
    IQaudIO Pi-DAC Pro Pi 3B+, Pi 4 LMS and NAS

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    184
    @KeBul, ATT DSL was my brother's response. I would have said ATT U-Verse, haven't really kept up so much with broadband tech, maybe U-verse is DSL. I used to have DSL back in the early 00's with a static IP and it's been downhill ever since

    @leadears, the main router is a combined wireless router plus DSL connection with 4 additional ethernet ports. The pi was (as I recall) the only ethernet connected device.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •