Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    What Albumartist do you use for compilations from different artists?
    I think there is no Albumartist possible.
    This is a baffling statement. Any text string that suits me works just fine. A few examples that I use:

Various Artists
    Soundtrack (Film)
    Soundtrack (Stage)
    Comedy
    Irish

...and many others, including variations on the above.

It's important to note, that afaik, if LMS detects something as a comp, for whatever reason, and it has no explicit AA tags, then LMS still assigns those tracks a default value of "Various Artists" for the AA db entry.
    Using: Win10 64 + LMS 8 & Duet & ipads w/the logitech app, and ipeng on an ipod
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

Quote Originally Posted by BJW View Post
    Various Artists
    I don't know this artist. :-)

then LMS still assigns those tracks a default value of "Various Artists" for the AA db entry.
    Yes, I see that "Diverse Interpreten" is used then and that is an entry in front of all other artists when looking at the artist list. But this term isn't used anywhere else. This is Ok for me.
    Also in the Musik-application on my Mac where I edit all the tags there is an entry "Compilations" in front of all other artists.
    So for me the PARTOFACOMPILATION-tag is sufficient. The ordering/grouping is made automatically by LMS and Musik-application, so everything is fine.

Soundtrack (Film)
    Soundtrack (Stage)
    Comedy
    Irish
    But those are genres, aren't they?
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

But those are genres, aren't they?
    No, they aren't necessarily. Soundtrack (Film) is not a music genre, meaning it could be rock or jazz or classical or any mix thereof. Genre is a per track value that sonically describes the music contained. My AA terms are basically sorting or categorizing terms, similar to what u find in a brick and mortar record store. AA usually is equal to the artist or band, but if that doesn't work for me, I use my own values to keep it grouped together, and to sort where I can find it.
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic & http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

and to sort where I can find it.
    Aren't the "*SORT*"-tags normally used for sorting purposes?
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Aren't the "*SORT*"-tags normally used for sorting purposes?
    Sort tags are not needed or necessary with my method, and aren't universally supported. AA values alone works perfectly well for this purpose.

and aren't universally supported. AA values alone works perfectly well for this purpose.
    Maybe for you. :-)
    In my car (original navigation from Harman-Becker) e.g. the ALBUMARTIST tag is not used for anything. So if you add an album with 100 different artists, you have 100 more artists in the artist list. So this tag is also not universally supported.
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Maybe for you. :-)
    In my car (original navigation from Harman-Becker) e.g. the ALBUMARTIST tag is not used for anything. So if you add an album with 100 different artists, you have 100 more artists in the artist list. So this tag is also not universally supported.
    So ur saying AA tags aren't supported but AAsort tags are?? I sincerely doubt it. No, u r saying comp tags are supported, (right?), which I already said I ALSO use, ergo my method works fine universally. If neither is supported, the problem is not my method, but rather the limitations of the device.

In addition, I'm sure u also realize ur cars luxury audio system which nevertheless fails to recognize a standard tag is a very niche case.

So ur saying AA tags aren't supported but AAsort tags are??
    No, both are not supported. But the car ist from 2015 and I think the development for the navigation is already stopped.

No, u r saying comp tags are supported, (right?), which I already said I ALSO use, ergo my method works fine universally. If neither is supported, the problem is not my method, but rather the limitations of the device.
    Yes, nothing other than artist, album and title are supported. It's a shame. :-(

In addition, I'm sure u also realize ur cars luxury audio system which nevertheless fails to recognize a standard tag is a very niche case.
    I don't know how much of them they sold but the company is in the list of the biggest car producers at the second place.
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Car audio systems seem to often be decades behind in technology related to digital music, even high-end cars/systems. Some relatively modern systems won't even read metadata tags, only filenames.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.2.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify