Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chill
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by chill
    ...- it seems that ANY artist mentioned in any track (even those separated by ";") will appear as an Album Artist.....
    Given the above, I'm struggling to see the purpose of this definition of an Album Artist. Surely someone who appears against just a single track is simply an 'Artist'. Won't the list of Artists be the same as the list of Album Artists?

Comment

• d6jg
      • Feb 2011

Given the above, I'm struggling to see the purpose of this definition of an Album Artist. Surely someone who appears against just a single track is simply an 'Artist'. Won't the list of Artists be the same as the list of Album Artists?
      Its explained here but not very clearly

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-02-02 14_26_41-Server Settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1571163
      Jim

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
      Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
      Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Celestion F10s
      Dining Room SB Radio
      Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
      Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
      Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Comment

• garym
        • May 2008

Won't the list of Artists be the same as the list of Album Artists?
        Don't have any clearer explanation, but no, because when I select "Album Artists" on my LMS browser, I get 2,279 Album Artists. But if I select All Artists in browse, I get 17,967. Some of this is composers being included in All Artists. Also, this all artist list includes lots of track artists that are on "compilations" but don't otherwise have their own "non compilation" albums.

(Note I'm also a user that doesn't use ALBUM ARTIST tag (blank) for albums that have a single ARTIST, yet these albums all show up when browsing ALBUM ARTISTS, as previously noted.
        Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
        Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
        Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
        The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
        Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
        Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• slartibartfast
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by d6jg

[ATTACH]33218[/ATTACH]
          That implies that the ALBUMARTIST tag is used though. I have no idea how Performer in cue files translates to a tag.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
          Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
          Bedroom: Radio
          Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• RobbH
            • Jun 2017

Slightly off topic but I have yet to fathom a good reason why people actually use cue sheets with LMS - as far as I can make out it gains nothing and actually makes things more difficult.

EDIT. I accept that there are some that use the same files with other software but with LMS alone .....?
            Some of us have attempted to use cue files to create virtual albums from box set collections. For instance, a Mosaic Records box set might contain all of Miles Davis's recordings from the mid-1960s. The goal is to have access to the box set, and to the albums that were originally released containing the same tracks. Success has been mixed.
            Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players. Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

• d6jg
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by slartibartfast
              That implies that the ALBUMARTIST tag is used though. I have no idea how Performer in cue files translates to a tag.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
              It doesn't translate to a tag. What is important is how the scanner treats it - it definitely creates it as a contributor if performer is at track level but how a performer at top level is treated and whether it assigns the correct role number is the question.
              Jim

Dining Room SB Radio
              Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Comment

• chill
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by garym
                Some of this is composers being included in All Artists. Also, this all artist list includes lots of track artists that are on "compilations" but don't otherwise have their own "non compilation" albums.
                Yes, I guess those are both cases where those artists should not be considered Album Artists.

[ATTACH]33218[/ATTACH]
                That explanation makes perfect sense, and was how I assumed things were working. But evidently that's not how they're working, at least in the case of cue sheets. From the Hydrogenaudio quote above and also the way the XLD ripper works, a PERFORMER tag that appears before any of the individual tracks should be the 'CD Artist', or the Album Artist if you like.

A couple of examples:
                Code:
                TITLE "My Test Album"
                FILE "My Test Album.flac" WAVE
                  TRACK 01 AUDIO
                    TITLE "Track Title 1"
                    PERFORMER "Track Artist 1"
                    INDEX 01 00:00:00
                  TRACK 02 AUDIO
                    TITLE "Track Title 2"
                    PERFORMER "Track Artist 2"
                    INDEX 00 02:23:13
                    INDEX 01 02:24:63
                In the above example I have two separate Track Artists and no Album Artist. When LMS scans this, both Track Artist 1 and Track Artist 2 appear as Album Artists (and also as Artists, naturally). This contradicts the first criterion above, because there is no 'sole artist'.

Next example:
                Code:
                TITLE "My Test Album"
                PERFORMER "Album Artist"
                FILE "My Test Album.flac" WAVE
                  TRACK 01 AUDIO
                    TITLE "Track Title 1"
                    PERFORMER "Track Artist 1"
                    INDEX 01 00:00:00
                  TRACK 02 AUDIO
                    TITLE "Track Title 2"
                    PERFORMER "Track Artist 2"
                    INDEX 00 02:23:13
                    INDEX 01 02:24:63
                In this case, the only change I made was to add a PERFORMER tag before any of the track definitions. Now when LMS scans this I get an empty Album Artists list, and I get "Album Artist" plus "Track Artist 1" and "Track Artist 2" in the list of all artists. This contradicts the second criterion above because the cue field that should be interpreted as an Album Artist is being interpreted only as an Artist.

Comment

• garym
                  • May 2008

Originally posted by RobbH
                  Some of us have attempted to use cue files to create virtual albums from box set collections. For instance, a Mosaic Records box set might contain all of Miles Davis's recordings from the mid-1960s. The goal is to have access to the box set, and to the albums that were originally released containing the same tracks. Success has been mixed.
                  I do this too from box sets, but create "playlists" representing original albums. Then play the playlist.
                  Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                  Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                  Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                  The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                  Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                  Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• RobbH
                    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by garym
                    I do this too from box sets, but create "playlists" representing original albums. Then play the playlist.
                    Probably a much more reliable approach than cue files. But playlists do not appear as albums in menus or "random albums."
                    Usually running latest beta LMS nightly on Raspberry Pi OS with virtual players. Occasionally using SB Radio, Boom or Classic.

Comment

• d6jg
                      • Feb 2011

In the above example I have two separate Track Artists and no Album Artist. When LMS scans this, both Track Artist 1 and Track Artist 2 appear as Album Artists (and also as Artists, naturally). This contradicts the first criterion above, because there is no 'sole artist'.
                      How do you have Compilations set? List each artist or group together?
                      LMS sees an album with no album artist and different artists per track as a compilation.
                      Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

• d6jg
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by RobbH
                        Probably a much more reliable approach than cue files. But playlists do not appear as albums in menus or "random albums."
                        My way round for this is

Either
                        I might have 2 lots of FLACs - one set tagged as the Box Set and the other set as the individual albums
                        OR
                        If the box set contains the original albums plus a few extras I might split into individual albums and just put the extras under the Box set

Album is one of the tags that can't have multi values
                        Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

• chill
                          • Mar 2007

How do you have Compilations set? List each artist or group together?
                          LMS sees an album with no album artist and different artists per track as a compilation.
                          Good question. Remind me - where is that option?

Comment

• d6jg
                            • Feb 2011

Good question. Remind me - where is that option?
                            Settings / My Music - just below where you set the Artist list
                            Jim

Dining Room SB Radio

Comment

• chill
                              • Mar 2007

Ah, I see it now - that option doesn't show up if you have two separate lists, Album Artists and All Artists.

Comment

• chill
                                • Mar 2007

I guess that means that option is not relevant when using two lists, but in case it is, when I switched to a 'single configurable list' that option defaults to 'Group Compilation Albums together'

Comment

Working...