Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Slightly off topic but I have yet to fathom a good reason why people actually use cue sheets with LMS - as far as I can make out it gains nothing and actually makes things more difficult.

EDIT. I accept that there are some that use the same files with other software but with LMS alone .....?
    I have done it for recordings of music shows from radio ... single .ts file of 1 hour/2 hour etc ... then tag the tracks & spoken links with .cue file.
    OK when only one show a week to ttime but after falling behind I never caught up again.
    Broadcasters who included track timings on their site do make this much easier.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I have done it for recordings of music shows from radio ... single .ts file of 1 hour/2 hour etc ... then tag the tracks & spoken links with .cue file.
    OK when only one show a week to ttime but after falling behind I never caught up again.
    That's a good reason for a specific use case.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    I did that once. All was fine until I came to analyse the files in MusicIP and found it couldn't deal with cue files.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Also means that I can choose a library view to play the show back with only the spoken links or without any of them.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Slightly off topic but I have yet to fathom a good reason why people actually use cue sheets with LMS - as far as I can make out it gains nothing and actually makes things more difficult.

EDIT. I accept that there are some that use the same files with other software but with LMS alone .....?
    For me, I started out this way because it seemed like I could avoid all the issues of different tagging standards, and so that I could edit tags with a simple text editor. Of course, the argument falls down if cue sheets aren't dealt with by LMS the same way that it deals with embedded tags. But I didn't know that when I started all those years ago, and in fact it's worked well to date - I'm only now uncovering some apparently anomalous behaviour.

I've done a bit more testing. LMS will allow multiple performers to be separated by ";" within any Performer tag, but it won't cope with multiple Performer tags (on separate lines) per track. And I was wrong about only performers who are common to all tracks being listed as Album Artists - it seems that ANY artist mentioned in any track (even those separated by ";") will appear as an Album Artist.....

....EXCEPT (and this is the bit that still strikes me as odd):
    1) if I have a top level Performer field with ANYTHING in it and track level performers with multiple values separated by ";". In this case it doesn't matter whether the top level Performer matches any of the other Performers or not, I get NO Album Artists.
    2) if I have a top level Performer that is not the same as the common single Performer for all the individual tracks.

I'm going to have to take the dogs for a walk to think through what the logic is that creates these apparently anomalous cases.

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    ...- it seems that ANY artist mentioned in any track (even those separated by ";") will appear as an Album Artist.....
    Given the above, I'm struggling to see the purpose of this definition of an Album Artist. Surely someone who appears against just a single track is simply an 'Artist'. Won't the list of Artists be the same as the list of Album Artists?

Given the above, I'm struggling to see the purpose of this definition of an Album Artist. Surely someone who appears against just a single track is simply an 'Artist'. Won't the list of Artists be the same as the list of Album Artists?
    Its explained here but not very clearly

Name:  2021-02-02 14_26_41-Server Settings.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  24.0 KB
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Won't the list of Artists be the same as the list of Album Artists?
    Don't have any clearer explanation, but no, because when I select "Album Artists" on my LMS browser, I get 2,279 Album Artists. But if I select All Artists in browse, I get 17,967. Some of this is composers being included in All Artists. Also, this all artist list includes lots of track artists that are on "compilations" but don't otherwise have their own "non compilation" albums.

(Note I'm also a user that doesn't use ALBUM ARTIST tag (blank) for albums that have a single ARTIST, yet these albums all show up when browsing ALBUM ARTISTS, as previously noted.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Its explained here but not very clearly

Name:  2021-02-02 14_26_41-Server Settings.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  24.0 KB
    That implies that the ALBUMARTIST tag is used though. I have no idea how Performer in cue files translates to a tag.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Some of us have attempted to use cue files to create virtual albums from box set collections. For instance, a Mosaic Records box set might contain all of Miles Davis's recordings from the mid-1960s. The goal is to have access to the box set, and to the albums that were originally released containing the same tracks. Success has been mixed.
    LMS 8 nightly running on Raspberry Pi OS. Mostly virtual players, occasionally with SB Radio, Boom or Classic.