Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions about hardware setup

Hello!

I am the owner of a SqueezeBox Radio, I use it to listen to internet radio, I use mysqueezebox.com to edit my radio-favorites. This works fine, I am very happy with the device, it's very portable inside the house.

A few years ago I bought a 2nd hand Controller and two 2nd hand Receivers for a very low price, but after testing them (no problems!) I never used them.
    Now, I want to listen to my favorite internet radio stations, AND my mp3-collection in different rooms, using the receivers.

I am going to need a server program to serve the mp3's. I am thinking about installing picoreplayer on my rpi 3b+

This is the hardware in my home:
    (1x SB Radio, 2x SB Receiver, 1x SB Contoller)
    iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Windows desktop computer(s), Synology NAS 110j (old one!), Raspberry Pi 3B+

1. Is it better to store the mp3-files on the NAS, or is it better to store them on an external harddisk, connected to the rpi? What are pros and cons?
    2. I also want to play the mp3- and radio music on the rpi. Can I use the SB Contoller to do this, or do I need an app on one of my mobile devices? Maybe the SB Controller can be replaced completely?
    3. The rpi is connected to my Edifier R1280T speakers using the rpi's audio out miniplug. Music played with the pi sounds ok, I am not an audiophile, but would you recommend a DAC? (Can I buy it in Europe?)
    (both SQ Receivers will be connected to an amplifier).

Thanks.

I suggest going the easy route ...
    Put your locally held audio files on your NAS.
    Add LMS to your pCP installation.

The only challenge will be getting pCP to read the files from the NAS - but that is only a matter of finding the right configuration and there examples on the pCP documentation site and people here who will help.

If you are happy with the sound you get from the audio jack of the Pi then no need to buy something extra.
    It should be better with a USB DAC or add on board on the Pi but old ears in combination with basic HiFi kit will reduce the difference to, perhaps, be imperceptible.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

I'm 50+ and I could hear the improvement from I dac. Now playing via a pi zero + hifiberry dac connected to a edifier speaker set. Sounds amazing!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

I would also recommend a DAC. The cheapest Hifiberry for example is only 15 euros. I can't judge the quality of your speakers of course, but as Edwin mentioned here, you might be able to hear an improvement.

If you're looking for quality improvements though, a big win could be to move away from MP3's and look into other (lossless) file formats as well.

In my opinion moving the music files to a USB device connected to the Pi might have advantages. If only, in having less network traffic if you use it a lot. But you could also (like I do) opt to maintain your collection on the Pi and then use the NAS to make backups.

Just one add: You can of course do what Paul suggested, choose the easiest route first and then expand from there to a USB drive and a DAC if you like the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jeroen2 View Post
    In my opinion moving the music files to a USB device connected to the Pi might have advantages. If only, in having less network traffic if you use it a lot. But you could also (like I do) opt to maintain your collection on the Pi and then use the NAS to make backups.
    The big benefit of having the music on the NAS is that it is very easy to use from other devices in the home - both for copying things around or playing them with something else.

Yes - it is possible to use file sharing from the pCP machine but some people have had issue setting it up.

The network traffic is minimal compared to anyone in the house watching a video ... plus the NAS is almost certainly on the wired network (which would also be a good thing to do for the RPi).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    [..]plus the NAS is almost certainly on the wired network (which would also be a good thing to do for the RPi).
    Yes everything is wired. The Nas, the rpi, the receivers... The SB Radio is using a wireless connection though...

@Jeroen2: Which Hifiberry is only 15 euros? sossolutions.nl (a webshop in my country) sells the Hifiberry DAC+ for RaspBerry Pi Zero for 15 euros. Will it work with the raspberry pi 3B+? (I'll probably buy one later, when everything else is installed).

What about the remote? Can I use the SB Controller to let the RPi with LMS installed play the mp3-music and the internet radio stations? Or is it better/more easy to use an app on the iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Buur View Post
    Thanks a lot!

Yes everything is wired. The Nas, the rpi, the receivers... The SB Radio is using a wireless connection though...

@Jeroen2: Which Hifiberry is only 15 euros? sossolutions.nl (a webshop in my country) sells the Hifiberry DAC+ for RaspBerry Pi Zero for 15 euros. Will it work with the raspberry pi 3B+? (I'll probably buy one later, when everything else is installed).

What about the remote? Can I use the SB Controller to let the RPi with LMS installed play the mp3-music and the internet radio stations? Or is it better/more easy to use an app on the iPhone.
    You can use the Controller or have a look at Material Skin.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot!

Control use iPeng or install Material plugin and use the iPhone browser
    Jim
    https://jukeradio.double6.net

VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Radio
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Yes, that's the cheapest one. It works, although because it's smaller than the Pi3 it would be more difficult to put it inside a case.
    The cheapest full size one would be this.

One of the things I love about LMS is that you can use all of them. When you install the Material skin it works great on your phone without installing an App.