Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any recommendations on how to Tag, Manage - Greatest Hits, Best Of. etc (Same Artist)

Hi all

Trying to tidy up my Music Library (Not Classical) of CD's, Vinyl Rips and Web Sourced Albums.

I've tried searching and reading but there's lots of debate on Various Artists/Compilation behaviour and Bugs etc.

Most of the posts go back many years.

Can I ask what others do in their collections regarding - Greatest Hits/Best of by the same artist.

I use Tag and rename or Mp3Tag and i'm totally confused by the use of the Compilation tag (should I use it or not).Should I call these Various Artist or Compilations.Do I leave Albumartist blank.

At present I have folders for each Artist with all their albums including Greatest hits in their own folders.

I have one folder for Various Artist with Albums like - 80' hits, best of motown etc.

Most tracks/artists display as expected but i'm unsure how to manage these albums.

Thanks in advance

It depends on your interpretation of "compilation"

In my world that means a Various Artists album and like you my Best Of's are under the Artist in question. For these I would set the album artist accordingly and ensure that the compilation tag is NOT set.

For VA albums I do set the compilation tag OR leave all album artist blank. The effect is the same.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Thanks.

That sounds perfect.

On a different note:Only just discovered the use of ";" or \\ so just tweaking a few albums with partnerships and similar.

Was a little unsure about - eg Ian Gillan, Gillan, Ian Gillan Band. So have created multiple artists using ";" so I can list all under Ian Gillan if I want.

Thanks again
    Last edited by Red Storm; 2021-01-26 at 09:42. Reason: syntax

Quote Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
    Thanks.

That sounds perfect.

On a different note:Only just discovered the use of ";" or \\ so just tweaking a few albums with partnerships and similar.

Was a little unsure about - eg Ian Gillan, Gillan, Ian Gillan Band. So have created multiple artists using ";" so I can list all under Ian Gillan if I want.

Thanks again
    There is a subtle diffrence to ; and \\
    It makes no diffrence to LMS but may do to other music software
    ; uses just the one tag with multiple values in it - LMS separates them using ;
    \\ creates multiple tags with the same name - LMS uses all of the tags
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    There is a subtle diffrence to ; and \\
    It makes no diffrence to LMS but may do to other music software
    ; uses just the one tag with multiple values in it - LMS separates them using ;
    \\ creates multiple tags with the same name - LMS uses all of the tags
    Using MP3Tag I believe this may be true for FLAC/Vorbis comments, but I believe for MP3 either delimiter creates just a single tag.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 8.1.2 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Cabin system - Rock solid with LMS 8.1.2 on Win10 Pro - 1 RPi 3 Model B/Hifiberry DAC+ Pro/PiCorePlayer and Squeezeslave
    Squeezebox Boom - "At Large" player around both home and cabin
    Headphones and car - Android phone/Bluetooth w/full library on MicroSD card - PowerAmp music player app (similar to Material Skin)

It depends on your interpretation of "compilation"

In my world that means a Various Artists album and like you my Best Of's are under the Artist in question. For these I would set the album artist accordingly and ensure that the compilation tag is NOT set.

For VA albums I do set the compilation tag OR leave all album artist blank. The effect is the same.
    Similar to d6jg. I use the COMPILATION tag set to "1" for any album that has "various artists" (e.g., soundtracks, best of the decade, etc.). For any album that is either all one artist (or mostly that artist....and maybe a few guests) I either use ARTIST tag only, or if each track doesn't have identical artist (guest artist?) then I fill in the ALBUM ARTIST tag with the main artist name. As noted, if all track artists are NOT the same and one doesn't use the ALBUM ARTIST tag, then LMS will treat this album as if it is a compilation (even though compilation tag is not used).

I also use the ALBUM ARTIST tag a lot when the artist has different names, but I want them all to show up under one artist folder, and under one artist in my LMS browsing. So for all of these artists, I'd use "Doug Sahm" as the ALBUM ARTIST.

The Sir Douglas Quintet
    Doug Sahm & Band
    Texas Tornados
    The Formerly Brothers
    etc.

But I would have the ARTIST tag use the actual band name (e.g., Sir Douglas Quintet), so the album would *also* show up under that artist name.

Similar for Miles Davis (album artist), but artist might be "Miles Davis Quintet" or "Miles Davis Sextet" etc.

Regarding ; vs \\. In my case this produces the same outcome. In dbpoweramp (my CD ripper), if I use a ; between artist names in my FLAC rips it creates two ARTIST tag fields, one for each artist. If I'm editing the file tags in mp3tag after the fact, using "" is what tells it to create two artist fields, or more. But LMS sees all that the same (ARTIST has multiple values).

Take the CD, "Two Men with the Blues" by Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis. Here's how i'd tag:

ALBUM: Two Men with the Blues
    ALBUM ARTIST: Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis
    ARTIST: Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis\\Willie Nelson\\Wynton Marsalis (if using mp3tag), and this will produce 3 separate ARTIST listings in the LMS database:

ARTIST: Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis
    ARTIST: Willie Nelson
    ARTIST: Wynton Marsalis

So If I clicked on Wynton Marsalis in "artists" in the LMS menu, I'll see the album, "Two Men with the Blues" listed. Same with Willie Nelson, and same with another artist called "Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis". But from my folder and filing system, the actual digital files live in an artist folder called "Willie Nelson & Wynton Marsalis"

p.s. I would NOT use the COMPILATION tag for this album.

NOTE: the beauty of all this compared to one's physical collection is that this is a relational database. Things can live in multiple places simultaneously (same album showing up under two different artists). Where with physical albums, your CD or vinyl item can only be stored in a single place.
    Last edited by garym; 2021-01-26 at 10:36.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Using MP3Tag I believe this may be true for FLAC/Vorbis comments, but I believe for MP3 either delimiter creates just a single tag.
    I recall that's true in my own case, using mp3tag and ID3v2.3 tags.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. I will save this to refer back to.

A lot more flexibility with tagging/sorting than I first realised. I'm only a basic user but I do like things to be "correct".

I didn't even know until I started searching, there where so many tag categories, but the main ones will full fill my needs.

All music is lossless using flac. I usually play an album or create a short playlist on the fly for my listening period. Lots more to learn.

I do get it's not a one hat fits all.

Cheers and stay safe

Quote Originally Posted by Red Storm View Post
    Thanks everyone for the detailed replies. I will save this to refer back to.

A lot more flexibility with tagging/sorting than I first realised. I'm only a basic user but I do like things to be "correct".

I didn't even know until I started searching, there where so many tag categories, but the main ones will full fill my needs.

All music is lossless using flac. I usually play an album or create a short playlist on the fly for my listening period. Lots more to learn.

I do get it's not a one hat fits all.

Cheers and stay safe
    You can also use multiple values in Genres

If you are relatively new to this have you checked out the following plugins

Material - now essential
    Music & Artist Info
    LastMix
    Playlist Manager
    BBC Sounds
    Radio Paradise
    Dining Room SB Boom

You can also use multiple values in Genres

If you are relatively new to this have you checked out the following plugins

Material - now essential
    Music & Artist Info
    LastMix
    Playlist Manager
    BBC Sounds
    Radio Paradise
    Only the first 2 so far.
    I was happy to browse to the music folder and play a track from my Synology Nas (LMS) - SB Touch - Hi-FI in lounge.
    I then progressed to controlling from Orange Squeeze via an old android tablet.
    Recently Synology announced LMS would not be supported on the DiskStation.
    I fortunately discovered a Rasberry PI solution with PiCore Player.
    Now I run LMS on the PI and point it to my library on the NAS.
    I have a redundant Ipad from my son (How times change when the parent gets the kids cast offs.) and found Material - Excellent by the way.
    Decided to join the 21st Century and set it up better.

Can't decide if I prefer the 2 separate lists for Artists and Album Artists or the 1 List. Still getting my head round the tagging side for this.

Have managed to get rid of lots of albums in the Compilation list that weren't really Various Artists but had the Compilation tag set as you pointed out earlier.