Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

hard limit volume control

I know there are some LMS plugins that (partly) offer this, but I'd rather have a more robust solution.

Browsing in the firmware (on Radio) I found a `setVolume()` function in `/usr/share/jive/jive/audio/Playback.lua` which appeared promising, but when I hack the code to use a fixed value for anything above a certain limit I can still use the volume knob to go beyond that set value. Should I look some place else or is the code cached and do I need to reboot when I make changes here?

Quote Originally Posted by gordonb3 View Post
    I know there are some LMS plugins that (partly) offer this, but I'd rather have a more robust solution.

Browsing in the firmware (on Radio) I found a `setVolume()` function in `/usr/share/jive/jive/audio/Playback.lua` which appeared promising, but when I hack the code to use a fixed value for anything above a certain limit I can still use the volume knob to go beyond that set value. Should I look some place else or is the code cached and do I need to reboot when I make changes here?
    It would not surprise me at all if that function was effectively only read at startup. A full reboot should work but might not be required -- once SSHed in you should be able to restart the Jive process.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Well, it turned out to be the wrong one anyway. It only limited the volume as long as I was turning the knob and then it still became louder while still showing the set limit. But yes, it does require a reboot.

The solution is in fact more straight forward than I expected to find. It is in `/usr/share/jive/applets/SlimBrowser/Volume.lua` in a function named `_coerceVolume` that does in fact already do the exact thing I wanted, except that it limits at 100 (percent).

I'm glad you found a solution, and thanks for sharing the details.
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    I'm glad you found a solution, and thanks for sharing the details.
    Pretty interesting actually. Although after hacking that bit of code I can no longer get past the set limit either by using the device's own volume control or IR remote, I can still go beyond it when changing volume through LMS or (Duet) Controller. It appears that the function I suspected initially is in fact the one that is accessed by the Slim executable whenever an `audg` is initiated through the Slim networking protocol. A bit of nastiness here is that whatever limit you set here does not provide any feedback to the initiator, but I consider that an acceptable price for the health of both the kids' ears and the device's speakers

Oh, bugger... Received the Boom I found on eBay and noticed that it doesn't allow ssh access, so it's back to plan B.