Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Deleting music from HDD of Squeezebox server

Iíve been at this for quite a while. Trying to map network drives, access over the network, tried connecting HDD as an external HDD on another PC, connected a monitor and keyboard to the sever, etc. For the life of me I canít figure out how to access the music storage on the HDD to delete music files/database.

I got the unit 2nd hand, so am not familiar with all the specifics. From what I do know itís a rack mount sever running Logitech Music server version 7.7.2. How do I access the music storage folder to delete music? Or is there another way to delete music? I pretty much want to start with a fresh HDD.

Thanks. If this belongs in another forum please advise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Logitech Media Server (formerly Squeezebox Server) offers no means of deleting files from your drives. You'd need to do this using your OS file management app. Alternatively, if the files you wish to delete are in their own partition, you could reformat that partition.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    You'd need to do this using your OS file management app.
    As in using Windows OS? Iíve tried. I can see the Logitech in the windows network tree. It shows up as a network drive. And can access it to play music from a PC on the same network. But it doesnít allow me access to the root file. Or to edit the files. Just as a media player. If that makes sense. I did also try to access any folders to do a format as you referenced, but it wonít allow that either. Is it a Linux OS thing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The screen shot of the SonicNAS page looks like a modified version of VortexBox software running on that NAS. You should be able to map the music storage folder as a network drive in Windows, where you can manage the music files like any other file/folder. I gather you've tried this? What happens when you search for the drive when trying to map it?
    Another option might be to use a free program like WinSCP to log in to your NAS and navigate to the music folder. From there you can delete, etc. In VortexBox the music files are in a folder called Storage.

Looks like you might find it via Windows Explorer (or whatever it is called)
    \\music\storage
    or
    \\192.168.88.224\storage

Does it have its own web interface at
    http://192.168.88.224
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

That does indeed look very similar to a Vortexbox

If its not been mucked about with too much you will find that if on your W10 machine you do Start Run and type "\\192.168.88.224 4 files shares will be revealed

Name:  2021-02-01 10_30_51-Window.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  7.9 KB

You want the one called files which then reveal your music folders in an editable mode
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

What are those icons on the left edge of the "SonicNAS" screen above? Do any of them open up the file system?

What are those icons on the left edge of the "SonicNAS" screen above? Do any of them open up the file system?
    They don't on Vortexbox
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

no, those are the standard Vortexbox settings, etc. But don't relate to file access.

I used to be able to connect with the files on my Vortexbox by mapping the VB drive to a "letter" on my windows machine. With my latest version of Windows and can't do that because of SMB version and inability to modify this (employer owns the computer). I use WinSCP and SFTP to connect to my VB from my Win10 laptop and can delete or transfer files to that VB with no problems.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

This system is running a very old version of Vortexbox and a very old version of LMS. I recommend both be upgraded. To upgrade the VB system to VB 2.5, which will bring with it at least 8.0.0 LMS, see here: (and updating the VB to 2.5 will wipe the drive anyhow, so all those songs will be deleted at that point).
    https://wiki.vortexbox.org/vortexbox...n_instructions

another option, if this is pretty old hardware (seems likely) is to simply move to an rPi system with attached USB drive for music. Plenty of threads here about that. (I have personally been transitioning my older Vortexbox units to rPi units).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP4.0/4TB>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify