Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Renaming Players

Hi Folks. I'm not sure whether this glitch is related to the latest version of LMS or whether it's been a glitch for a while?

I've added a new Sky Q mini box to one of our bedrooms. Just like the other mini boxes already installed, I can use the Bridge plugin to pipe music through the TV. So far, so normal!

Here's the glitch: the SkyQ mini box gets assigned a default name (sky1141 in my case) and in the past, I could simply rename this via the LMS interface under settings to something more 'friendly'. However, although I can rename and the 'apply' the change - it doesn't survive an LMS or a Windows 10 reboot - and returns to the default name.

As an experiment, I tried to rename one of my EXISTING Q mini boxes (one that I've had for ages) and that doesn't survive a reboot either - so it's *not* the box.

Any suggestions welcomed?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

Did you try renaming it via the (UPnP Bridge?) Plugin Settings?
    Select the device in the plugin and then you should see a name that you can overwrite.

However, according to the help text ... the name that you assign in LMS should win.

Player information
    The Name and MAC address of the player can be changed here. The Name is superseded by value in LMS player's configuration page
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Did you try renaming it via the (UPnP Bridge?) Plugin Settings?
    Select the device in the plugin and then you should see a name that you can overwrite.

However, according to the help text ... the name that you assign in LMS should win.
    Yes. It needs to be done in the plugin - although its the AirPlay plugin for Sky-Q boxes
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Thanks Folks!

Yes, I'd forgotten that it had to be changed within the plugin - it's been a while since I added anything.

All sorted now and working a treat! 😁
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

Quote Originally Posted by StevePalmer View Post
    Thanks Folks!

Yes, I'd forgotten that it had to be changed within the plugin - it's been a while since I added anything.

All sorted now and working a treat! 😁
    Strange - Unless you have disabled "autosave" of the config file in the plugin settings, name changes from LMS will be reflected in the config
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Strange - Unless you have disabled "autosave" of the config file in the plugin settings, name changes from LMS will be reflected in the config
    Yes, all I know is that if I changed the names within the 'players' part, it *wasnt* remembered after a restart, but changing them via the AirBridge plugin, it was!

Remind me where the 'autosave' option is located...?

Steve
    Kettering, UK

Yes, all I know is that if I changed the names within the 'players' part, it *wasnt* remembered after a restart, but changing them via the AirBridge plugin, it was!

Remind me where the 'autosave' option is located...?

In the settings of the plugin itself, ont he "configuration file" line
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    In the settings of the plugin itself, ont he "configuration file" line
    Err, *which* plugin?

Sent from my Note 10+ 5G using Tapatalk
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

The one where you changed the player name ... seems from earlier post in this thread you are using the AirPlay Bridge plugin.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Err, *which* plugin?

Got it! Thanks guys! (it *was* set to auto-save)

Steve
    Kettering, UK