Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Control LMS via cmd-line and JSON

Hi all,

I am trying in vain to post commands (e.g. play/pause) to LMS via JSON (or status.html for that matter).

Configuration:
    • LMS 8.1.1 (previously tried with 7.9.3 as well) running on Win 10
    • players: squeezelite (on the same machine as LMS), Squeezebox Classic, Squeezebox Radio, Squeezebox Boom

What I am doing:
    Code:
    curl -X POST -d '{"id":0,"params":["00:15:xx:xx:xx:xx",["button","play"]],"method":"slim.request"}' http://localhost:9000/jsonrpc.js
    What happens:
    Nothing

Command line shows:
    Code:
    _
    (blinking cursor)

server.log:
    Code:
    Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (130) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Web::HTTP::processHTTP: malformed JSON string, neither array, object, number, string or atom, at character offset 0 (before "'{id:0,params:[00:15...") at /<C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\SqueezeSvr.exe>Slim/Web/JSONRPC.pm line 145.
    ; fh=Slim::Web::HTTP::ClientConn=GLOB(0xebb306c)
    For the life of me I can't find the error in the JSON-statement.

If I use the hack via status.html, curl returns the content of the webpage, but the player status doesn't change.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Looks like the single quote at the start and end is being sent ... and I presume it should not be.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Looks like the single quote at the start and end is being sent ... and I presume it should not be.
    A bit odd though. How are you using this?
    In shell script this should work, and would not send the quotes..

If you run this on the Windows command line, try escaping the double quotes. See here.

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdk View Post
    If you run this on the Windows command line, try escaping the double quotes. See here.
    Thanks, escaping the " did the trick, Reinhold--that at least resolves the error in the server.log.

But: no effect, music won't play or pause.

cmd-line now shows
    Code:
    curl: (52) Empty reply from server
    So that I now know how to correctly send the code, any other clues to why LMS won't accept the commands?

Removing "button" from the json allowed the request to work for me (targeted device played as expected).
    https://gist.github.com/samtherussel...d2470b8689d9f2

Code:
    $ curl -X POST -d '{"id":0,"params":["00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX",["play"]],"method":"slim.request"}' http://192.168.1.7:9000/jsonrpc.js
    {"params":["00:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX",["play"]],"method":"slim.request","id":0,"result":{}}

Thank you--it works now. But I think this was rather to upgrading LMS to 8.1.1, b/c now with and without the "button" parameter I can control the server from the command-line.

Glad it works!

I'm running Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.3. I was getting the same response you received ("curl: (52) Empty reply from server") when I included "button" in the payload.