Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ClassicAMP :-)

ClassicAMP :-)

I've just received a giant OLED display and I was putting that close to a SB3 Classic with SqueezeAMP. As you can see, that could be turned quickly to a fun PoC

- Separate the angled PCB of a broken classic where all the connectors are
    - Discard the SB3's main PCB
    - Use some PCB prototype board => the "angled PCB" of the classic is 2.54mm pitch, so it's easy to solder
    - Put the big OLED display and the IR on one side, secured with soldered pins
    - Put a SqueezeAMP on the otherside, using its mounting holes
    - Wire Power, SPDIF, TOSLINK (you need 2 resistors and a capacitor on the protoPCB for that) and headset jack to the angled PCB (easier solder or use connectors)
    - Wire the 2 speakers to the cinch of the angled PCB (they have separated grounds)
    - Optionally add a battery and here you go ... a battery-powered ClassicAMP
    - Only thing you miss is ethernet

Name:  IMG_6077.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  81.9 KBName:  IMG_6073.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  49.8 KBName:  IMG_6075.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  110.5 KB

- If you want to reroute SqueezeAMP, you can make now a real motheboard with everything single sided and add ethernet

NB: I think you do the same with a Boom; there is enough place and make it battery-powered is then doable as well
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-01-14 at 08:48.
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    I've just received a giant OLED display ...
    Source?

Quote Originally Posted by ElFishi View Post
    Source?
    https://www.buydisplay.com/oled-disp...onal_size=1119
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

If you fire it up it would be interesting to see what it looks like through the window of the Classic case. Curious to see how the filter affects the colour of that display.

ClassicAMP is here!

So, as "promised" here is a ClassicAMP. It has kept its IR remote, optical, coax and headset analogue and I've converted the 2 cinch plug as speakers connections. From the outside, it looks untouched. Only the ethernet plug does not work. I could not fit a battery, but if the PCB was redesigned "native", it's likely doable.

[edit]: with a little bit of work, I was able to fit 2x16340 cells, so I now have a battery-powered ClassicAMP

Name:  ClassicAMP.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  164.5 KB
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-01-17 at 23:31.

ClassicAMP :-)

Now that's a good looking piece of kit! A design classic one would say :-)

I didn't remember the acrylic part was that high. Are you hiding some
    lines of the display?

Pictures from the inside?

--

Michael

Wauw, very nice!
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's
    Server: LMS on Pi3 7.9.1. on PcP 3.21
    Network: AVM Fritzbox, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, 3x Ubiquity

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Now that's a good looking piece of kit! A design classic one would say :-)

I didn't remember the acrylic part was that high. Are you hiding some
    lines of the display?

Pictures from the inside?

--

Michael
    No, the full display is visible, in fact it's fitting extraordinary well - I just had to cut a tiny bit of the angle of the display PCB, but really a tiny bit with no consequences. In fact, I have found another display, same size but on a smaller PCB that might fit with no change.

I'll re-open it to take picture of the inside, but it's not very pretty
    Last edited by philippe_44; 2021-01-18 at 00:53.

Beautiful!

That's really nice. One of my original SB3s is showing enough signs of age to make this my next project. Although I'd love working ethernet it's not essential and I don't have the skills to design a custom PCB for a drop-in replacement, so I'll try to replicate this pretty much as described here.
    SqueezeAmp request inbound!
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

That's extraordinary! A fully functional copy of an SB3. Probably the market for a 'native' PCB to allow people to easily retrofit a dead SB3 is quite small, but on the other hand if there was also a dedicated housing, maybe with a few buttons and a couple of knobs in the lower section, you'd have a whole new SB product. It just shows what's possible now, thanks to the whole ESP32/SqueezeAMP project. I hope PolyVection are watching