• Whenever
    • Oct 2017

Remotely reboot Squeezebox Radio

> Sometimes they freeze, sometimes they just loose connections. The
    > result is the same they need to be rebooted, so I would like to have the
    > rebooted remotely on a regular basis when not they are not likely to be
    > in use

I would have said that you could SSH in to them to reboot them. But if
    they loose connection or seriously freeze, then that won't work.

I'd rather try to understand what that happens. Are you using the image
    viewer screensaver?

--

Michael
  • Whenever
    • Oct 2017

Remotely reboot Squeezebox Radio

Hi Everyone:

Is it possible to send a command to a squeezebox radio and have it reboot. Not turn off but a complete reboot.

I have 6 Squeezebox radio's around the house and regularly they freeze up and need to be unplugged and then replugged back in ( Often the power button will not ever work).

I would like to be able to send a command to each one on a regular basis (weekly?) to have them do a complete reboot.

I have looked at the CLI reference and turn off seems to be the only option, is there another way of having them reboot remotely (short of plugging them each into a smart plug)

Thanks

John

Comment

• slartibartfast
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Whenever
      Hi Everyone:

Is it possible to send a command to a squeezebox radio and have it reboot. Not turn off but a complete reboot.

I have 6 Squeezebox radio's around the house and regularly they freeze up and need to be unplugged and then replugged back in ( Often the power button will not ever work).

I would like to be able to send a command to each one on a regular basis (weekly?) to have them do a complete reboot.

I have looked at the CLI reference and turn off seems to be the only option, is there another way of having them reboot remotely (short of plugging them each into a smart plug)

Thanks

John
      I have to say I have never had a Radio freeze. Maybe you can remotely login via SSH and reboot that way.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
      Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
      Bedroom: Radio
      Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• Redrum
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by slartibartfast
        I have to say I have never had a Radio freeze.
        I agree, and have 2-3 radios in play. However, I have had this happen with receivers. It would happen even when they were not in use (soft power off) Maybe you might want to look into things other than the radio, LMS, Wifi, etc. When I had trouble with Receivers freezing up (needing a complete factory reset), the cause was related to wifi signal strength. Hooking them up to ethernet resolved my issues. Also, in the past when I was having constant trouble with a receiver in a garage (poor signal) synced with a touch (ethernet), and I could not get the touch to behave, until i realized it was synced to the receiver with poor wifi strength.

Maybe you could look for a pattern? Are they wifi? what is signal strength? Do they freeze while playing or when you try to play them they are already frozen? Do all freeze at once? Are they synced? Do you have other internet issues like with streaming TV?

Jim

Comment

• Whenever
          • Oct 2017

Sometimes they freeze, sometimes they just loose connections. The result is the same they need to be rebooted, so I would like to have the rebooted remotely on a regular basis when not they are not likely to be in use

Comment

• KeBul
            • Sep 2009

I agree with other posters, your issue seems unusual for SB Radios (been running three Radios for over 8 years now and I cannot recall any freezes or lockups), would be best to get to the bottom of your issue...

But if you want a simple power cycle solution and none of your radios have batteries installed then have a look at some smart plugs... I use Teckin from Amazon, they can be manually switched on and off at the plug itself or via the Smart Life App. Power state changes can also be scheduled using the App and they are Amazon Alexa and Google Home compatible for those can't be bothered to pick up the phone moments.

Kev
            Last edited by KeBul; 2021-01-18, 11:01.

Comment

• Redrum
              • Oct 2009

Sometimes they freeze, sometimes they just loose connections.
              Are they all on wifi? This is something that I have seen with receivers on wifi (both situations you describe), especially if they are synced. If they are synced, maybe remove one at a time from the mix to see if you can identify a problem child.

If you can find one that is troublesome, maybe swap the power supply with a "good" one, and see if the problem moves. Since these unit are old, power supply failure is common.

Jim

Comment

• Whenever
                • Oct 2017

Originally posted by mherger
                > Sometimes they freeze, sometimes they just loose connections. The
                > result is the same they need to be rebooted, so I would like to have the
                > rebooted remotely on a regular basis when not they are not likely to be
                > in use

I would have said that you could SSH in to them to reboot them. But if
                they loose connection or seriously freeze, then that won't work.

I'd rather try to understand what that happens. Are you using the image
                viewer screensaver?

--

Michael
                I would like to have the remote Powercycle work regularly so that it would mostly happen when it has not frozen. If it gets to the full frozen state then I would have to unplug.

I am using the clock screensaver on all my devices.

I have 6 devices, they have had idiosyncrasies for as long as I've had them. they work great for awhile, then a synch group starts to go on and off, or a radio wont connect, or it just stops. Rebooting always fixes the problem, sometimes I have to reboot the router, sometimes the LMS, sometimes the aerver running the LMS, aometimes one radio, sometimes several radios. My router is now set to reboot every 2 days, my server can be set to reboot every so often, I want to do the same with my radios. I would prefer not using a bunch of smart plugs ( already have an insteon home hub so it easily done). Not sure if this will fix the problem, but I don't see a big downside.

the SSH solution would involve writing a script to log into the radio and power cycle it? Is there a command references for the SSH session on Squeezebox radio that includes a powercycle command?

Thanks everyone for all the input.

John

Comment

• Redrum
                  • Oct 2009

I have 6 devices, they have had idiosyncrasies for as long as I've had them.

John
                  John, I chose sb over sonos (maybe 2007?), duet was my first player, and thought they were awesome, but high maintenance (what you describe). I wrangled, flailed, try this, try that for a long time. Two things made all of that go away and everything rock solid - The improvements over the years to LMS (thanks to the devs and community), and getting my receivers either out of my systems, or at least off of wifi. Maybe a new router also helped (one better than the ISP provides)

I also only use sync when necessary, and really have never synced more than say 3.

I know that you are looking for an auto reboot, but from my experience, and that of alot of others here, you should be able to solve this and have a trouble free sb experience.

I'd suggest just disconnecting the receivers and give that a try,

Jim

Comment

• chill
                    • Mar 2007

I would like to have the remote Powercycle work regularly so that it would mostly happen when it has not frozen. If it gets to the full frozen state then I would have to unplug.
                    If you update the Radios to the latest Community firmware you will be able to set up cron tasks that would reboot them at, say, 2am every day.

EDIT: For example, see here.
                    Last edited by chill; 2021-01-18, 16:25.

Comment

• Whenever
                      • Oct 2017

I did not know about the community firmware project and will install it.

Thank you for that info

John

Comment

• Ron F.
                        • May 2006

I am using the clock screensaver on all my devices.

I have 6 devices, they have had idiosyncrasies for as long as I've had them. they work great for awhile, then a synch group starts to go on and off, or a radio wont connect, or it just stops. Rebooting always fixes the problem, sometimes I have to reboot the router, sometimes the LMS, sometimes the aerver running the LMS, aometimes one radio, sometimes several radios. My router is now set to reboot every 2 days, my server can be set to reboot every so often, I want to do the same with my radios. I would prefer not using a bunch of smart plugs ( already have an insteon home hub so it easily done). Not sure if this will fix the problem, but I don't see a big downside.

the SSH solution would involve writing a script to log into the radio and power cycle it? Is there a command references for the SSH session on Squeezebox radio that includes a powercycle command?

Thanks everyone for all the input.

John
                        I don't know if this useful, (I am a bit late to the party,) but I have found that I have to reboot my SB Touch about once every two weeks, if I want to continue streaming anything above 44.1/16 bit content without dropouts. Actually I find that breaking the WiFi connection to my router is what is actually needed, so rebooting my Netgear router also does the trick. Rebooting the router however effects everything on my LAN; that seems a bit drastic ... I prefer to reboot the SBT!

I can ssh into my SBT, but that takes a bit of manual labor as I have to specify diffie-hellman encryption, enter the password, and then type "reboot." Yuk. There is an easier way to do this. Install the putty package, (my server is running Linux, so this was easy,) then use this command:
                        plink [email protected] -pw 1234 "reboot"
                        where X.X.X.X is the target IP Addr and 1234 is the passwd to login into the device. This line can be put into a very short script, and added as a cron job.

I don't think pCP makes the putty package available as an extension although it is available in Tiny Core Linux, so possibly it can be installed in pCP with a bit more work.
                        Last edited by Ron F.; 2021-01-20, 21:47.
                        Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
                        Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 18.04 + Squeezelite + Epiphany/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
                        Bedroom: RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink Revolve
                        Phone: Pixel 6a + Termux/Squeezelite + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
                        Server: System76 Meerkat + Pop!_OS 22.04 + LMS 8.5

Comment

• Whenever
                          • Oct 2017

Hi Ron:

Thank you, I've got LMS and all the Radios on the Community versions and used Plink to successfully reboot a radio remotely.

This group is great

Thanks

John

Comment

• Ron F.
                            • May 2006

I thought I would post an update to my solution for remote rebooting a Squeezebox Touch:

My SBT is connected to my LAN via DHCP, so the IP address changes periodically, but of course the SBT MAC address is fixed, never changes. So how do we reboot the SBT remotely without knowing the IP address a priori? I now use a little shell script (which I named reboot-sbt) to do this. The SBT MAC addr can be gotten from the LMS player information display...

Code:
                            #!/bin/sh
                            plink root@"`ip neighbor | grep -i XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX | cut -d' ' -f 1`"  -pw 1234  "reboot"
                            Where XX:...:XX is the MAC address. For reasons I still do not understand, I have to reboot my SBT every couple of weeks when it starts cutting out, especially if I am streaming Hi-Res (>44.1KHz/16bit,) maybe there is a memory leak going on in the device.

Note: I do not believe the SBT runs mDNS, so it is not possible to use plink or ssh with the address: SqueezeboxTouch.local, unfortunately.
                            Living Room: SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU > VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans cables > B&W 804 speakers
                            Laptop: System76 Galago + Ubuntu 18.04 + Squeezelite + Epiphany/Material Skin > Emotiva Little Ego DAC > Grado PS500 headphones
                            Bedroom: RPi Zero W + Squeezelite > miniBOSS DAC HAT > Bose SoundLink Revolve
                            Phone: Pixel 6a + Termux/Squeezelite + Material APK > Senn IE80 earbuds
                            Server: System76 Meerkat + Pop!_OS 22.04 + LMS 8.5

Comment

Working...