Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Streaming from Laptop

Hi

I've just purchased a Dell XPS Laptop and have been attempting to stream LMS to my Squeezeboxes however when the laptop goes to sleep then the connection is cut. Obviously I could just stop the laptop from going to sleep but I wondered if there was any work around to this?
    I realise this may not be possible but I didn't think there was any harm in asking!

Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skind56 View Post
    Hi

I've just purchased a Dell XPS Laptop and have been attempting to stream LMS to my Squeezeboxes however when the laptop goes to sleep then the connection is cut. Obviously I could just stop the laptop from going to sleep but I wondered if there was any work around to this?
    I realise this may not be possible but I didn't think there was any harm in asking!

Thanks
    Steve
    If the computer you're running LMS on goes to sleep, the music will stop. Nothing to do about that. A better approach might be to have LMS running on something else that can stay on 24/7. Many people now use an rPi running PiCorePlayer as their LMS server. Size of a pack of cards, cheap, and dependable.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Hi

Thanks
    Steve
    You don't say which platform your laptop is running, obviously LMS needs to be running when players are playing, but there's a plugin "Prevent System Standby" for Windows, not sure about other platforms.

Name:  PSS.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  22.4 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    You don't say which platform your laptop is running, obviously LMS needs to be running when players are playing, but there's a plugin "Prevent System Standby" for Windows, not sure about other platforms.

Good point! FYI, that plugin shows as "incompatible with platform" on Linux install of LMS.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post

Sorry, should have mentioned that itís Windows 10.

Thanks kidstypike Iíll try the "Prevent System Standby" plugin to see how it goes.

Steve

My 2ct. Take a raspberry pi with picoreplayer and store music on a 2 disk nas. Most simple to setup and VERY reliable.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Sorry, should have mentioned that itís Windows 10.

Thanks kidstypike Iíll try the "Prevent System Standby" plugin to see how it goes.

Steve
    Unfortunately the plugin doesnít prevent the laptop from going to sleep.

Also tried Spotify playing to Squeezebox but went to sleep.

When streaming live music, from the laptop, to a Chromecast the screen went blank but continued streaming but I could not get access to LMS, on the laptop, from an iPad. It did, however, stop streaming when closed.

Looks like I have to change sleep settings or abandon use of LMS on laptop!

LMS works fine on my laptop with closed lid. Set sleep to NEVER and when lid is closed set do NOTHING. Screen will still turn off when lid is closed.
    No LMS settings need changed.

Just set your sleep timeout to some duration that is longer than you'll ever listen at one sitting.

Or, leave your laptop on and set the screen to time off if it bothers you. Energy cost will be about $4.50/month.

Or as said above, abandon the laptop and run LMS on a Raspberry Pi 4 which will cost about $0.45/month.