Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    That's what I'm doing. I'm accessing both Pis via ssh terminals on my Mac, then issuing the rsync command from one Pi to fetch files (via ssh) from the other. The Mac is only involved as the viewer.
    Are you just doing this one way? If so have you tried scp as a test? Does that result in the same character set issue?
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Are you just doing this one way? If so have you tried scp as a test? Does that result in the same character set issue?
    Yes - just one way. My 'master' library is on source:/mnt/Music, and is backed up (by target, over ssh) to target:/mnt/MusicMirror.

I'll give scp a try. Never used it before, so will have to look into the syntax to copy a directory over ssh.

Incidentally, I just used 'Cyberduck' to open terminals on both machines, and it happily masks the issue by displaying the (target) folder name in plain text with the correct accented character.

I'll give scp a try. Never used it before, so will have to look into the syntax to copy a directory over ssh.
    OK, so now I know that scp doesn't need any ssh configuration.

Same result though.

Code:
    scp -r tc@192.168.1.4:/mnt/Music/Music/Lossless/Mich* ./
    ls -l
    drwxr-xr-x  4 tc staff 4096 Jan 20 18:31 'Michael Bubl'$'\303\251'/
    *EDIT: I just repeated the same command from a third Pi (as the target), and the resulting folder/files seem to display exactly as they do on the source machine. So it's evidently something to do with my original target machine. That gives me something to go on at least. I don't recall setting it up any different from the others though. I wonder if it's something to do with the way I created the ext4 file system.....

I'm getting closer - I think. I put a fresh copy of pCP onto a spare USB flash drive and booted the original target machine from that. When I mounted the same disk that was /mnt/MusicMirror, all the files and directories show up correctly in an ssh terminal, with accented characters displayed as expected, and in full technicolour.

And what's more, when I repeated the original rsync command, the verbose output still showed the same expanded characters, e.g:
    Code:
    cd+++++++++ Music/Lossless/Album FLACs/m/Michael Bubl\#303\#251/
    but when viewed in an ssh terminal on the Mac these new files display exactly as they do on the source machine.

So that narrows it down - the files are ok, but something about the way they look in an ssh terminal window is different in the original installation. I need to weigh up now whether it's worth trying to track this down or just continue with the new pCP image and set up all my tweaks, cron jobs, Jivelite etc to match the original one.

Aaargh - this was so simple in the end, it's just frustrating. I had installed 'coreutils.tcz' on the original target machine (because 'stat' no longer seems to be part of busybox), but that has replaced the 'ls' command with one that doesn't display accented characters or different colours for directories, executables etc. (by default, at least).

So how can I make '/bin/ls' the default 'ls', rather than the one that coreutils has put in /usr/local/bin?

Alternatively (and maybe preferably), how can I add 'stat' without loading the whole coreutils package (because who knows what else it subtly changes)?

Alternatively (and maybe preferably), how can I add 'stat' without loading the whole coreutils package (because who knows what else it subtly changes)?
    I copied /usr/local/bin/stat (which was put there by coreutils) to /home/tc/.local/bin, then uninstalled coreutils. Sanity restored.

I copied /usr/local/bin/stat (which was put there by coreutils) to /home/tc/.local/bin, then uninstalled coreutils. Sanity restored.
    Now that you have resolved that I would revert to rsync as it will only sync stuff that has changed - scp is more of a one off copy tool
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    Now that you have resolved that I would revert to rsync as it will only sync stuff that has changed - scp is more of a one off copy tool
    Indeed - I treated your scp suggestion as a useful debugging step, thank you. All back to normal now with rsync.