Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Squeezebox Alternatives

The need to replace my stereo receiver has caused me to survey music streaming options for the first time since I got my first squeezebox in 2008. My initial question of whether I should get a receiver with an Ethernet network connection caused me to think more broadly. In particular, while I did purchase two backup squeezeboxes 6 or 7 years ago that I have yet to need, I’m thinking that because squeezeboxes are no longer being produced it would make sense to consider other network players, and possibly other server software.

I would appreciate others thoughts on how my current squeezebox setup would compare with this one: (1) a network player like the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N (https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/e...hi-fi/851/851n) connected to a power amp and my network via Ethernet, and (2) the audio server software Asset (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm) installed on a Windows 10 computer. With this alternative setup, would it be possible to continue using Logitech Media Server (LMS) instead of Asset? Is LMS in any sense better than Asset?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

P.S. Is this the best forum to post this question?

IMO LMS remains the best and most advanced streaming server in existence.
    There are a few that come close in some areas but none that succeed in all areas. I have never tried Asset so can’t comment specifically but I very much doubt it comes close.
    There are loads of alternatives that you can use as replacement Squeezeboxes - some are directly supported but many more devices are supported with Phillipe’s range of plugins.

Is your question really - what off the shelf devices support LMS?

See DAC32 in 3rd Party Hardware for the latest off the shelf player
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

I just swapped my Squeezebox Boom for a Google Hub Max. LMS with Chromecast bridge works fine, but you can't pick music from LMS within the Hub you must control from smartphone.

The Boom was a classic but the screen is dying and costs a fortune to replace. It also had a dodgy barrel plug on the back. And the Hub Max looks better and offers more functions.
    Last edited by bits; 2021-01-13 at 14:37.

Squeezebox Alternatives

> On 13 Jan 2021, at 22:35, bits <bits.9vfp1z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > I just swapped my Squeezebox Boom for a Google Hub Max. LMS with
    > Chromecast bridge works fine.
    >
    > The Boom was a classic but the screen is dying a and costs a fortune to
    > replace. It also had a dodgy barrel plug on the back. And the Hub Max
    > looks better and offers more functions.

I am using at the moment only AirPlay speakers. This works very nicely. I also stream via AirPlay to my Yamaha receiver, also no problems at all.

>
    >
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > bits's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=13375
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=113669
    >
    >

You can buy a good working s/h Boom on eBay for about £50. Other option is to buy two Radio's (typically £40 each) and set them up in stereo mode. Although my Boom screen is working well I just bought a couple of mint O2 Jogglers (£20 each off eBay) and use their gorgeous touch screens to control LMS. I have also connected a Topping DAC (£103) to the Joggler USB and the sound quality is as good as a Touch, if not better. As others have pointed out the new DAC32 is a bargain and there are many RPi options available including plug 'n play units. LMS has had 20 years of continuous development, nothing else gets or is ever likely to! The Touch and Radio had new f/w released in December.

I recently tried to buy an old Sony AirPlay device ... but they cancelled the online order because the store could not find it in their shop/warehouse ...
    so I just bought two old (2010/2011) Philips AD7000W/10 devices - WiFi, AirPlay 1, UPnP, Aux In and Apple USB for 10GBP each plus shipping.
    This model does not have a screen or remote but does have speakers (2x5W) and volume control buttons.

Works well using the AirPlay bridge plugin - and even better after I found a firmware update that someone had stashed in Github (update no longer available from Philips site).

I ran them yesterday for 4 hours as a pair via Group Player and they ran in sync without a hitch.

More players than rooms ... need to buy a chateau.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    ... Other option is to buy two Radio's (typically £40 each) and set them up in stereo mode.....

BTW, how do you do the stereo set up thing for 2 radios? I've never tried it, but would like to give it a try. And further BTW - is the headphone jack output on any given radio in true stereo?
    LMS 8.0.1 (1606118512)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Riva Arena (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)

Quote Originally Posted by agbagb View Post
    BTW, how do you do the stereo set up thing for 2 radios? I've never tried it, but would like to give it a try. And further BTW - is the headphone jack output on any given radio in true stereo?
    Name:  2021-01-14 12_32_00-Server Settings.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  41.2 KB
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Ah - got it I think!

- In Player Settings>Audio I set one Radio to <Left Only>, the Other to <Right Only>,

- And then in Player Settings>Synchronize I chose those two players to link up.

- And then I just send a music track to either of them from LMS etc, or kick off a music track on the local controls of either of them.

Simples, really! Amazing the stuff in the Squeezie world that I've never bothered to look at closely.....
    LMS 8.0.1 (1606118512)
    Win10
    Control: Web GUI; sometimes OrangeSqueeze on Android phones / pads

Machines / devices are in France, in two locations.
    a) Livebox 4
    Internal HDD (FLAC music; mp3 voice), Desktop
    3 x Touch - 2 wireless, 1 LAN. (7.8.0-r16754)
    3 x SB Radios [2 wireless, 1 LAN] (7.7.3-r16676)
    1 x Riva Arena (via Airplay LMS PlugIn)

b) Freebox
    External SSD (all mp3), WiFi Laptop
    1 x Touch LAN (Firmware:7.8.0-r16754)
    2 x SB Radios, Wireless (7.7.3-r16676)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post

More players than rooms ... need to buy a chateau.
    still have room for a red radio though, right? Doesn't take up much space