Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Podcast private feed not playing

Hello,

I'm having trouble playing private podcast feeds. I have a mix of both public and private feeds, and can successfully add both kinds. Public feeds play fine, but the private feeds do not play at all. It shows all the correct information and length of the episodes, but fails to start playing.

I can play these feeds in other apps and in the browser, just not in LMS.

In the logs it shows:

Code:
    [21-01-13 17:41:09.1751] Slim::Player::Song::open (480) Warning: stream failed to open [https://xxxxxx.xxx].
    Anyone know what might be going on?

Try adding the "Reliable" plugin.
    If that does not resolve it then you will have to increase logging levels and check the server.log file.

Given that it is a https connection then the problem could be an old SSL library (or even too new) - see Settings/Information in LMS and post back with info about your LMS version of SSL library.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Try adding the "Reliable" plugin.
    If that does not resolve it then you will have to increase logging levels and check the server.log file.

Given that it is a https connection then the problem could be an old SSL library (or even too new) - see Settings/Information in LMS and post back with info about your LMS version of SSL library.
    I have tried both with and without "Reliable" and same result.

Here is some relevant server info, including SSL library:
    Code:
        Version: 8.1.0 - 1608700893 @ Wed Dec 23 12:11:22 CET 2020
        Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
        Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
        Perl Version: 5.26.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
        Audio::Scan: 0.95
        IO::Socket::SSL: 2.060
        Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.58 (sqlite 3.22.0)
    Attached are some debug logs. It looks as if the player is getting a 403 Forbidden response. I'm not sure why, as I have successfully accessed this episode url on the same host.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are there any non-alphanumeric characters in the xxxx parts?
    e.g. / in X-Amz-Credential
    If yes - then maybe LMS does not "url-encode" them before sending so you would have to do it yourself.
    / = %2F for example
    Paul Webster
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Are there any non-alphanumeric characters in the xxxx parts?
    e.g. / in X-Amz-Credential
    If yes - then maybe LMS does not "url-encode" them before sending so you would have to do it yourself.
    / = %2F for example
    Yes there is!

Would it even be possible to do this myself? Each episode URL gets 302 redirected to these longer URLs

Probably not the issue then because the redirection should be handled automatically by LMS.
    Paul Webster

Probably not the issue then because the redirection should be handled automatically by LMS.
    Hmm I wonder what could be causing the 403 then.

Kind of grasping at straws, but I noticed LMS is doing the GET with HTTP/1.0 and the 403 response comes back HTTP/1.1. Could this be an issue?

Quote Originally Posted by daveaudi0 View Post
    Hmm I wonder what could be causing the 403 then.

Kind of grasping at straws, but I noticed LMS is doing the GET with HTTP/1.0 and the 403 response comes back HTTP/1.1. Could this be an issue?
    403 is usually generated by destination HTTP server - it doesn't like something in the LMS request or the LMS request is missing something (e.g. cookie) . I think you need to look at the HTTP server first not LMS.

edit:

Can you get a log example of somehting else (e.g. VLC) playing same track so that HTTP request/response can be compared.
    Last edited by bpa; 2021-01-13 at 12:53.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    403 is usually generated by destination HTTP server - it doesn't like something in the LMS request or the LMS request is missing something (e.g. cookie) . I think you need to look at the HTTP server first not LMS.

edit:

Can you get a log example of somehting else (e.g. VLC) playing same track so that HTTP request/response can be compared.
    You are correct, it does not like the LMS request.

Using curl to replicate the LMS request, I too get a 403. After some trial and error, it turns out the Host header it sends is problematic. Removing it returns a successful response in curl. If I could modify the LMS request somehow and remove the Host header, it should stream successfully...

Quote Originally Posted by daveaudi0 View Post
    You are correct, it does not like the LMS request.

Using curl to replicate the LMS request, I too get a 403. After some trial and error, it turns out the Host header it sends is problematic. Removing it returns a successful response in curl. If I could modify the LMS request somehow and remove the Host header, it should stream successfully...
    What Host header is being generated by your LMS ? I once came across a HTTP server that oddly refused to support UserAgent with "iTunes" in it - when notified the operator fixed their system.