Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ClassicAMP :-)

Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    That's extraordinary! A fully functional copy of an SB3. Probably the market for a 'native' PCB to allow people to easily retrofit a dead SB3 is quite small, but on the other hand if there was also a dedicated housing, maybe with a few buttons and a couple of knobs in the lower section, you'd have a whole new SB product. It just shows what's possible now, thanks to the whole ESP32/SqueezeAMP project. I hope PolyVection are watching
    It's unlikely that I'll do a new PCB but what is for sure is that it is very simple. Just take the SqueezeAMP and extend it. The angled PCB from Logitech with all connectors can be re-used. Now, the new display is expensive (~65USD by the unit) and a SqueezeAMP w/o battery is probably USD45. Then there is the work to disassemble/re-assemble. Now, we can try this fun contest: is there are 100 persons interested, I'll do the PCB and if there a couple of others motivated, we can retrofit units or find a sub-contractor that would do it.

You can add a knob, but you would change a bit the look, don't you think?
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    You can add a knob, but you would change a bit the look, don't you think?
    Well yes, but for a 'new' product I don't think that would be a bad thing. It would mean it could be controlled without a remote or a connected device. And it'll be good practice for when you make a new Boom

I don't have a failing SB3 (only a working one), but I might pick one up off eBay just to get involved. Better do that quickly before this project starts to drive up the prices

Excellent work.
    SB1 and SB2 next - although they might not have the enough space at the front of the case to mount the screen?
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Heat?

Quick question... How hot does a SqueezeAMP get? Although it might spoil the overall look, would a couple of ventilation slots cut into the back of the case be needed?
    Odroid HC1 / Armbian Stretch LMS & LocalPlayer
    4x Slim Devices SB3 (White)
    1x Boom, 1x Radio
    2x Joggler + Squeezeplay / Squeezelite + Topping TP30

Quote Originally Posted by florca View Post
    Quick question... How hot does a SqueezeAMP get? Although it might spoil the overall look, would a couple of ventilation slots cut into the back of the case be needed?
    When used just as an amp@12V, there is very little heat produced (class D are very efficient), but still some. I think that's fine for a "personal" use. Where more heat is produced, it's when you use charging. In that case, I agree, ventilation holes would be better. I'm testing it right now with unmodified enclosure and will see
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Cool project philippe_44,

I guess this would result in an improvement in sound quality, closer to a Touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    Cool project philippe_44,

I guess this would result in an improvement in sound quality, closer to a Touch.
    The biggest feature is actually driving speakers directly from a modified SB3
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    6xSqueezeAmp!
    Contributing to Folding@Home : https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/squeezelite-esp32