Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS update notifications

Presently the LMS update notification reads:

"There is a new version of LMS available. Click the squeezebox tray icon to install the update."

Would it be possible to change the notification to something like:

"Version ZZZ.ZZ of LMS is available and ready to install. Click the LMS icon in the System Tray to see what version you are presently running, which version will be installed, see a summary of what changes will be made, and options for your consideration."

Clicking that icon would/could provide buttons to proceed with the installation, or decline it, and optionally indicate when you would like to be again notified of its availability. It could also show a message like "For more details regarding these changes, click this link:
    https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/8.1/Changelog8.html"

For those who prefer to do the updates using the LMS Control Panel, I'd suggest the message in the "Advanced" tab be changed to "Version ZZZ.ZZ of LMS is available and ready to install. You are presently running version XXX.XX." There should be an additional button provided to "Decline Update", and perhaps include a summary of the changes and a link to: https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https...hangelog8.html.

Discussion: The recent change to version 8 resulted in the loss of some plugins which had been available in version 7. There must have been others besides myself who might have decided not to upgrade had we been notified of that. Not all (perhaps most?) LMS users follow the forums, particularly the Plugins forum. I have followed the Radio forum for years via its mailing list, and still was caught unaware of what affect the new version 8 would have. I don't remember any discussion of what version 8 would provide or other impacts it might cause.

Most software development entities provide some such notice prior to launching an update, allowing users to make an informed decision about how to proceed.

I am aware that LMS is supported by volunteers and for the most part I am greatly impressed with the job being done to keep it current. I'd like to single out Michael Herger and Erland Isaksson for their efforts. I appreciate the fact that they created a new category of plugins called "Unsupported" and placed some of Erland's fine plugins in it. The Custom Clock and the Custom Clock Helper apps have made my Radio a much better experience and I was panicked to discover, after the fact, that Version 8 would remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by lsanders99 View Post
    Presently the LMS update notification reads:

"There is a new version of LMS available. Click the squeezebox tray icon to install the update."

Would it be possible to change the notification to something like:

"Version ZZZ.ZZ of LMS is available and ready to install. Click the LMS icon in the System Tray to see what version you are presently running, which version will be installed, see a summary of what changes will be made, and options for your consideration."

Clicking that icon would/could provide buttons to proceed with the installation, or decline it, and optionally indicate when you would like to be again notified of its availability. It could also show a message like "For more details regarding these changes, click this link:
    https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/blob/public/8.1/Changelog8.html"

For those who prefer to do the updates using the LMS Control Panel, I'd suggest the message in the "Advanced" tab be changed to "Version ZZZ.ZZ of LMS is available and ready to install. You are presently running version XXX.XX." There should be an additional button provided to "Decline Update", and perhaps include a summary of the changes and a link to: https://htmlpreview.github.io/?https...hangelog8.html.
    Making people more aware where to find the change log is generally a good idea. Many applications have a ďWhatís newĒ message after a new version has been installed thatís used to introduce people to the new features in the new release. Not sure it would have helped your situation though because you are asking about consequences on third party plugins and not LMS itself. Itís hard for LMS releases to contain updated information regarding third party plugins, especially since they might not work on the day of the release but do work a week later when a new plugin version has been released. My plan/hope when 8.0 was released was still to continue maintaining my plugins, it was a bit later I finally realized that I donít have the time needed to do the work. I suspect most people reading the change log would decide to update to the new version and very few would realize some third party plugins might stop working base on the content of the change log.

I generally think we should encourage people to update to latest release rather than make them afraid to update. Having to support several old releases because less people update to latest is just going to result in more work supporting old releases and less time to implement features in latest release. Showing people information about what might stop working with a new release would make them afraid to update and this is IMHO the wrong way to go. Showing people which great new features they would get with the new release is in the right direction, it would encourage people to upgrade and and give feedback on the new features so they can be improved further in the future.

Regarding third party plugins I think the focus should rather be to find a way to encourage community developers to implement new plugins that could replace unsupported plugins than making it easier for people to get stuck on old unsupported plugins. Not sure how to best accomplish this but Iím pretty sure it would be harder if people refuse to upgrade LMS or keep using unsupported plugins. Michaelís addition to 8.1 to make it possible to install unsupported plugins is a way to convince people to upgrade to latest release but make community developers aware that there is now a number of plugins thatís no longer supported and might need a replacement in the future. Previously it has been hard for both users and developers to see which plugins that are unsupported.

My personal hope is that something in LMS soon breaks something critical in my plugins and that this would encourage some community developer to try to implement a new plugin thatís less flexible but contains the most critical functionality. The Ratings Light plugin is a good example of this which could be a replacement for the no longer supported TrackStat plugin. I hope people interesting in ratings dare to install, try and give feedback on Ratings Light plugin rather than getting stuck with TrackStat because thatís what they always have used. I really hope that people will see this as something positive and install and give positive feedback on a new plugin rather than sticking with an old LMS release to be able to use my unsupported plugins which initially are going to contain more functionality. Making something with less flexibility is the key because thatís whatís going to make it feasible to maintain and support on longer terms.

Quote Originally Posted by lsanders99 View Post
    Discussion: The recent change to version 8 resulted in the loss of some plugins which had been available in version 7. There must have been others besides myself who might have decided not to upgrade had we been notified of that. Not all (perhaps most?) LMS users follow the forums, particularly the Plugins forum. I have followed the Radio forum for years via its mailing list, and still was caught unaware of what affect the new version 8 would have. I don't remember any discussion of what version 8 would provide or other impacts it might cause.

Most software development entities provide some such notice prior to launching an update, allowing users to make an informed decision about how to proceed.
    Since a lot of functionality comes with LMS itís probably a good idea to keep updated with the Logitech Media Server section of the forum also in the future.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )