Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LMS, Pi, USB HDD

Hi,
    1st post here so be gentle with me.
    I have a Pi (3) with a DAC HAT and a 2Tb external HDD, I'm using all the latest s/w (I believe). I access my music stored on the HDD via Material Skins (FLAC format) and I'm impressed how the whole thing has gone together and with the sound from the HiFi.
    Is it possible to access the library on the USB HDD from a Windows 10 PC, I'm assuming so but my efforts so far have failed, file explore finds the "lmsfiles" directory but reports that the filename is incorrect. I was hoping to be able to add files to the HDD over the network (Pi connected by WiFi).
    As I imagine I'm not the 1st person to ask this can anyone point me at the appropriate thread.
    Cheers
    Gerry

LMS, Pi, USB HDD

Assuming you are using pCP - see the SAMBA section here
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), KCRW, Supla Finland, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by gerry0324 View Post
    Hi,
    1st post here so be gentle with me.
    I have a Pi (3) with a DAC HAT and a 2Tb external HDD, I'm using all the latest s/w (I believe). I access my music stored on the HDD via Material Skins (FLAC format) and I'm impressed how the whole thing has gone together and with the sound from the HiFi.
    Is it possible to access the library on the USB HDD from a Windows 10 PC, I'm assuming so but my efforts so far have failed, file explore finds the "lmsfiles" directory but reports that the filename is incorrect. I was hoping to be able to add files to the HDD over the network (Pi connected by WiFi).
    As I imagine I'm not the 1st person to ask this can anyone point me at the appropriate thread.
    Cheers
    Gerry
    Which operating system are you using on the Pi?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Assuming you are using pCP - see the SAMBA section here
    https://docs.picoreplayer.org/how-to/add_usb_hdd/
    Thanks for reply, I used all the set up routines from the pCp website and followed the Samba routine...maybe I wasn't clear in my first message but it all works fine except my Windows PC doesn't read the USB HDD.
    File explorer finds the "LMSfiles" folder but as soon as I click it to open it further I get a message "Windows cannot access "\\picorelms\Lmsfiles", check the spelling of the name, otherwise there might be a problem with your network etc".
    I kinda think its a security or permissions issue but can't get any further...
    Cheers
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Which operating system are you using on the Pi?

I'm sure its the NOOBS set up from the Pi Hut but to be honest I just followed the prompts as I did the 1st boot up (i.e. not sure what's on the NOOBs card - say latest 3.4.0).

Cheers

Gerry

Thanks for reply, I used all the set up routines from the pCp website and followed the Samba routine...maybe I wasn't clear in my first message but it all works fine except my Windows PC doesn't read the USB HDD.
    File explorer finds the "LMSfiles" folder but as soon as I click it to open it further I get a message "Windows cannot access "\\picorelms\Lmsfiles", check the spelling of the name, otherwise there might be a problem with your network etc".
    I kinda think its a security or permissions issue but can't get any further...
    Cheers
    Gerry
    You must be running piCorePlayer (pCP), not NOOBS.

Make sure you check the spelling of the mount name that you enter in SAMBA, Upper/Lower case matters!

Mine below.

Name:  Samba.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  132.3 KB
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    You must be running piCorePlayer (pCP), not NOOBS.

Make sure you check the spelling of the mount name that you enter in SAMBA, Upper/Lower case matters!

Mine below.

Name:  Samba.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  132.3 KB
    Hi, Thanks for reply.

Here's a screen shot, I think I have that correct...what I don't understand is that IP Scanner find the lmsfiles folder and I can add this as a drive location however when I try to open the next level down W10 reports it doesn't the drive, check spelling etc

Screenshot Pi 12Jan21.pdf

Cheers

Hi, Thanks for reply.

Here's a screen shot, I think I have that correct...what I don't understand is that IP Scanner find the lmsfiles folder and I can add this as a drive location however when I try to open the next level down W10 reports it doesn't the drive, check spelling etc

Cheers
    Aren't you mixing up Server Workgroup and Server Name?

Hi, Thanks for reply.

Cheers
    I can hardly see it in your screenshot (too small), but I don't think your "Share name" and "Share path" are the same case.

Is your Windows workgroup really named "LMSfiles" ?
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B/pCP 7.0.1/pi screen/Hifiberry DAC HAT Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Garage - Squeezebox Boom + Fostex sub
    Dining Room - Pi3B/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Aren't you mixing up Server Workgroup and Server Name?

See next screenshot, I'm not sure what I have mixed up?

Screenshot 2 Pi 12Jan21.pdf

Cheers