Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Audiophonics EVO-SABRE as a Transporter replacement?

Hi Everyone

I know this device has got a mention in this thread, but I thought it might be worth a discussion on its own. I've owned and loved my Transporter since I bought it new in around 2008/9 - it's an original complete with the button and still doing sterling service without skipping a beat. However, brilliant as it was for its time, 13 or so years is a long time in DAC land, and the lack of support for codecs in my main hi-def listening device is beginning to become a gap.

I've still got a couple of Boom's going strong (and a spare one I cannibalize for bits) and 7 rpi's running PCP with various DAC HATs, but as a device, the Audiophonics EVO-SABRE looks pretty interesting. I wondered if anyone had seen and heard one? It's pretty well reviewed over at ASR.

I've pinged a note over to the guys at Audiophonics to see if they support PCP or some other squeezelite option, and what it takes to drive the track info on the second display. Now, we just have to work out how to get it to show a VU ;-)

pete S

Quote Originally Posted by psketch View Post
    Hi Everyone

I know this device has got a mention in this thread, but I thought it might be worth a discussion on its own. I've owned and loved my Transporter since I bought it new in around 2008/9 - it's an original complete with the button and still doing sterling service without skipping a beat. However, brilliant as it was for its time, 13 or so years is a long time in DAC land, and the lack of support for codecs in my main hi-def listening device is beginning to become a gap.

I've still got a couple of Boom's going strong (and a spare one I cannibalize for bits) and 7 rpi's running PCP with various DAC HATs, but as a device, the Audiophonics EVO-SABRE looks pretty interesting. I wondered if anyone had seen and heard one? It's pretty well reviewed over at ASR.

I've pinged a note over to the guys at Audiophonics to see if they support PCP or some other squeezelite option, and what it takes to drive the track info on the second display. Now, we just have to work out how to get it to show a VU ;-)

pete S
    If you are going to spend that kind of money then you might be interested in a Volumio Primo instead. Volumio has plugins for both LMS and Squeezelite. It has been favourably reviewed by Darko
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Hi

Yes, I've seen the Primo, but from what I can see it's using a single ES9038Q2M, whereas the EVO-Sabre runs 2 balanced chips in dual mono mode. They say ...

Direct successor to our famous DAC I-Sabre ES9038Q2M module, the EVO-SABRE 2x9038Q2M is a balanced version of the converter with a full range of connectors and input interfaces (SPDIF Coaxial and optical, USB, Bluetooth and I2S through GPIO).

The EVO-Sabre is a high-precision DAC using two 32-bit ES9038Q2M Sabre chips integrated in dual Mono mode: each of these chips see its computing power 100% dedicated to a single channel of the stereophonic signal. This achieves a sound restitution of exceptional clarity with tremendously low crosstalk.

So, may be that the DAC is next gen compared to the Primo. I'm also sadly drawn to the 2 displays. Right now, the Evo apparnetly works fine with PCP, but the second display doesn't display anything, but there's WIP on integrating LMS Monitor 2020 for the second display, which would mean track info, but also VU etc.. Really look like a modern Transporter :-)