Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Windows Media Center 7 Plugin

Is there a plugin that will work in WMC7 to play music from the Squeezebox Server? And allow control from the Squeezebox Server?

If not, are there any devs willing to create one? I for one, would be willing to donate $100 towards the development. Anyone else?

what are you trying to accomplish? Play music from SbS on your WIN7 computer with the control coming from SqueezeboxServer? You can do this now. Just install SqueezePlay on your WIN 7 machine, within SqueezePlay select SqueezePlay as the player (it can also be the controller for other SB players) and SbS will see this as a player. SqueezePlay is basically a software version of a SB hardware player.

Or maybe I'm missing the point of your question. Anyhow, download here, bottom of page.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5

Watcher of the Windows build
    You can also install Whitebear Media Server (UPnp-DLNA) in the SB server and use WMP as a client. http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Quote Originally Posted by tamanaco View Post
    You can also install Whitebear Media Server (UPnp-DLNA) in the SB server and use WMP as a client. http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver
    Yes. If you have Whitebear Media Server running somewhere on you home network then in Windows Media Centre, select Music > Music Library > Shared > Whitebear Media Server and you can browse and play the music..
    Regards,
    AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
    1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
    2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
    Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver

Windows Media Center and Squeezebox from a functional level is a good match. The way I see this working:

1. A WMC UI to allow acces to the Squeezebox server library, including playlists, favorites, radiostations, and plugins such as Deezer.

2. A softsqueeze like player that works with Realtek HD audio and doesn't crash as a dvd (or tv station) with surround sound is played.

Post Whats the question

Quote Originally Posted by eseelke View Post
    Is there a plugin that will work in WMC7 to play music from the Squeezebox Server? And allow control from the Squeezebox Server?

If not, are there any devs willing to create one? I for one, would be willing to donate $100 towards the development. Anyone else?
    Is the question
    - Squeezeplay IN Windows media center (WMC)? It's UI available for within Windows Media Center to play music locally?

-Squeezeplay IN Windows media center (WMC)? It's UI available for within Windows Media Center to control a Squeezbox device?

- Access to the Squeezebox server from the WMC's Music UI?

- The SqueezePlayer functionality in the WMC's music UI

With any of the above the main advantage to using the Squeezebox server is the syncronization across Software SqueezePlayers and Squeezebox devices and I'm not sure you will ever see this from withing WMC.

Having said that there was a piece of software for pre-Vista WMC that alowed you to control a Squuezebox player/device but it didn't work well. MCESqueezebox or something like that.

I use WMC7's intrface with Windows Home Server and it is great but doesn't allow any sync between rooms

tbowland

This is a very old thread and Windows Media Centre is now officially discontinued. However for those either still running WMC under Windows 7 or 8 or have hacked a working install in Windows 10 I can confirm the following was successful for me in Windows 7.

I found the website for mcsSoftsqueeze - http://www.mcesoftsqueeze.co.uk/
    The steps to install were as follows.

1. Install Java 8
    2. As per the instructions on the above website, downloaded the zip and expanded it in to C:\Program Files\
    3. Open the Java 8 Control Panel
    4. Configure the security settings to add a URL as file:///Program Files/mceSoftsqueeze/mcesoftsqueeze.htm
    5. Approve the above file:// URL
    6. Register mceSoftsqueeze into Windows Media Centre by running C:\Program Files\mceSoftsqueeze\Register.cmd
    7. Launch Windows Media Centre
    8. Go to Extras and select mceSoftsqueeze

Note: As per the instructions on the mceSoftsqueeze site this assumes your Logitech Media Server is running on the same Windows computer, which mine is. If not you could try customising the above .htm file to use a specific IP address for your LMS server.

It is not as nice as a real SqueezeBox radio it but accomplished what I wanted which was to be able to play one of my Internet radio stations in Windows Media Centre. I could already play my music library because it was already added to my WMP library and already shared with iTunes and Logitech Media Server. (All my music is in Apple Lossless format, I was the inventor of the original method to allow Windows Media Player and hence Windows Media Centre to be able to play Apple Lossless. Yes Windows 10 now has built-in support for Apple Lossless and FLAC but I got my method working way back with Windows Media Centre 2005 aka XP and of course later Windows 7.)