Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gvh
    • Oct 2005

SmartiPi Touch Pro case review

I thought I would show you the fantastic new SmartiPi Touch Pro case. I think this is easily the best case for PiCorePlayer out there and makes for a great looking machine.

I already own 2 of the earlier versions and when I saw this come up on Kickstarter it looked like a great project. Finally it's arrived and I've built up a Picoreplayer using it.

It's now for sale, you can see it here and you'll find the setup instructions from here

It's important to know that I ordered the extra deep back to cover the Sound Card and give me options. That's what you see in use below. If you are using a USB Dac you won't need this.

My player for main system used to look like this.

Before

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-01-09 07.58.07 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	1578488

It's a Pi 3B+ with Justboom DigiHat and Flirc receiver

I really did not like the way the remote control receiver stuck out the side

Now

The really clever bit about this case is that there are two mounting places for the Pi. There is the traditional one on the edge so you have access to the ports but then you can also choose to hide it inside. This is what I wanted to try. Would the IR receiver still respond?

The only compromise at the moment is that I have run the SPDIF cable out of the fan hole. Later I will do a permanent hole at the bottom to sort this out.

Note the power cable and how it's very nicely integrated.

Name:	2021-01-09 08.27.05.jpg
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	1578489

Name:	2021-01-09 08.39.34.jpg
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1578490

The side shows a small compromise with the power cable.

Name:	2021-01-09 08.41.42.jpg
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1578491

But that will be solved when this arrives

Name:	right angle.jpg
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1578492

Edit - the remote didn't work well enough in daylight - I had to use a USB extension cable and route it to the front of the HIFI cabinet below. Easy

Temperature is 52 so I guess I will be installing the fan for the summer.

Hopefully the images speak for themselves. It looks seriously, um, professional. No compromises, nothing sticking out, no mysterious holes. I can't recommend it enough.
    Last edited by gvh; 2021-01-10, 07:49. Reason: Update on the remote needing to come outside
  • edwin2006
    • May 2017

Looking nice. Please provide detailed material list.
    SqueezeBoxes: 1x Transporter (Living room) 1x SB2 (shed), 1x Radio (Kitchen), 1x Boom (Dining room), 1x piCorePlayer (jacuzzi), 1x piCorePlayer (Garden) 1x OSMC + Squeezelite (Movie room), 1x Touch (Study 2), few spare unit's (SB2, SB3, Boom, Touch)
    Server: LMS on Pi3B+ 8.1.2 on PcP 7.0.1
    Network: Draytek, Netgear Smart Switch 24p, Ubiquiti PoE, 3x Ubiquity

Comment

• gvh
      • Oct 2005

Absolutely:
      • SmartiPi Pro
      • Larger back for the SmartiPi
      • Official Touch Screen
      • Pi 3b+
      • Official Power supply to match
      • Add-on switch to that power supply so I can turn it off easily
      • Microsd card
      • Justboom DigiHat
      • SPDIF cable
      • Flirc V2 Remote Receiver
      • USB2 Extension cable to run Flirc outside
      • PiCorePlayer

Notes on this
      • I get most bits from The Pi Hut and the little bits from ebay
      • I cut holes using a cheap Dremel-style tool.
      • SmartiPi supply an optional metal plate for the bottom to balance it, I nearly need it
      • I use a Squeezebox remote
      • You can easily use a Pi 3A+ if you just want wifi. Cheaper, smaller
      • You can see my Kitchen player here with 3A and DAC, with right angle phono adapters
      • A Pi4 is overkill for a pure player and runs much hotter, it would definitely need a full time fan

Comment

• gregklanderman
        • Jan 2006

That's the perfect option for the official screen.. unfortunately I've decided I want a bit smaller screen for my units and am proceeding a bit more off the easy path..

Comment

• peterw
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by gvh
          It's a Pi 3B+ with Justboom DigiHat and Flirc receiver
          Edit - the remote didn't work well enough in daylight - I had to use a USB extension cable and route it to the front of the HIFI cabinet below. Easy
          Maybe it's the fact that my touchscreen PcP is in a bookcase painted glossy white, but I've found an inexpensive TSOP4838 device connected to GPIO pins works so well that its lens doesn't even need to be visible from the front of my player. The case I chose (which is OK, but a ittle lightweight for touchscreen use, and the display angle is fixed) has a gap between the main case and the snap-on back so I just left my IR recevier sticking out of that gap:

Name:	Pcp-ir.jpg
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	1570923
          owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
          (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
          Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
          Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
          FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
          SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

• carsten_h
            • Apr 2019

Originally posted by gvh
            It's important to know that I ordered the extra deep back to cover the Sound Card and give me options.
            Thank you for the review!
            I own the first version which I am using with a Pi 3B+ and a Hifiberry DAC and also like you with a FLIRC adapter.
            Do you really need the extra deep cover for the DAC? I also have the deep cover for the first SmartiPi case.

What I think is great to have the mounting completely inside, but the IR adapter is a problem. Isn't there a hole for a standard IR reciever so that the FLIRC can be placed there?
            A few weeks ago I changed from SD-card booting to USB stick booting because I don't want to change the SD-card every time a new piCorePlayer is available, as I have to disassemble the whole case. This would be a problem with inside mounting. OK it is only the backplate.
            Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
            Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry inside a SmartiPi touch case
            Pi Zero W only for Bluetooth headphones
            Two Airport Express
            Ikea Symfonisk

Comment

• gvh
              • Oct 2005

Hey, I just looked and no. You doing need the deep back but you do need the fan. At least install it because the power cables go in first

Yes the ir receiver is a compromise but fine for me. I don't know if it would go behind the camera hole

Comment

• carsten_h
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by gvh
                You doing need the deep back but you do need the fan.
                I have no fan in my SmartiPi (1) case and the Pi 3B+ is working without a problem. Ok it is hotter than the Pi 4 in my Argon One case, but I think the temperature is not too high.
                Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
                Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry inside a SmartiPi touch case
                Pi Zero W only for Bluetooth headphones
                Two Airport Express
                Ikea Symfonisk

Comment

• gvh
                  • Oct 2005

My other thought was to use a really short USB extension so the flirc was flush with the side and cut the side plate to match. That's why it's great you can mount the pi inside.

I wanted to build something that looked like I bought it (but I'm not soldering)

Comment

• ALW
                    • Mar 2020

I must check out the Touch Pro

I built a unit using the Touch 1 a while back, and it works a treat.

I did wonder why the OP didn't use the IR sensor supplied with the Audioboom Digi, it works really well in my experience.

Comment

• gvh
                      • Oct 2005

I haven't soldered in N decades and am not about to start! (and I was terrible)

I am also trying to lower the barriers to getting into this and show that you don't have to own an oscilloscope to get going. You get the idea.

Comment

• bioman88
                        • Feb 2021

Very nice setup. I have the older version of the case. I noticed that you have the JustBoom Digi board. I am wondering if you have multi-channel audio like 5.1 and will it play. I currently have a KODI box connected to my home theatre setup and I can play my ripped DSD discs and other 5.1 audio. Hoping that I can replace it with a piCorePlayer there and not have to have the TV on to listen to my music. I have been using piCorePlayer for years and it is just amazing. I tinkered with M2Play and Volumio. piCorePlayer all the way.

Thanks.

Andy

Comment

• gvh
                          • Oct 2005

Thanks for the complement.

I've never tried 5.1 music in all the years of owning these systems. Can I suggest you post a new question as it will get more attention?

Comment

• gvh
                            • Oct 2005

I've written about my players and worked with Greg to get it published. Hopefully it will help others realise how easy it is

Comment

• bioman88
                              • Feb 2021

Originally posted by gvh
                              Thanks for the complement.

I've never tried 5.1 music in all the years of owning these systems. Can I suggest you post a new question as it will get more attention?
                              Thanks, I will do that.

Andy

Comment

Working...