Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 55 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post
    Did you find you had to attenuate the MR1 Mk2s to accommodate the DAC32? They have those three levels for input.
    I have the Ruarks set at the lowest (green LED) for any player I attach to them. This is mainly because 90% of the time they're just playing background music, and you get more control over the volume using that setting. A higher setting results in just that bit too loud, while 1 click lower is practically inaudible.

The DAC32 sounds fine at the lowest input setting, certainly goes loud enough if needed.
    Last edited by kidstypike; 2021-06-07 at 12:03.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 8.0.0/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 8.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I have the Ruarks set at the lowest (green LED) for any player I attach to them. This is mainly because 90% of the time they're just playing background music, and you get more control over the volume using that setting. A higher setting results in just that bit too loud, while 1 click lower is practically inaudible.

The DAC32 sounds fine at the lowest input setting, certainly goes loud enough if needed.
    Ever tried it at level 2 with the DAC32? That's where I usually have my SB3.

Ever tried it at level 2 with the DAC32? That's where I usually have my SB3.
    I'll try to set it up with the Ruarks tomorrow.
    Server - LMS 8.3.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP 8.0.0 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    I'll try to set it up with the Ruarks tomorrow.
    Thanks, I'd be interested to know what you hear at that "middle" level 2 setting.

Thanks, I'd be interested to know what you hear at that "middle" level 2 setting.
    Reading your earlier posts, I see you're having problems with distortion. I've just tried the DAC32 into my Ruarks at all 3 volume settings, with no distortion whatsoever.

My brother has a pair of Ruarks he had trouble with the 3.5mm input jack/socket crackling & distortion, he emailed Ruark and received no reply. So he sprayed WD40 up the sockets oriface which cured the problem. So check the cable connection, try a different cable?

I've had the DAC32 attached to my AVI DM5 actives, sounds wonderful.

The DAC32 is worthy of far better speakers than the Ruarks.

My DAC32 is driving a pair of Acoustic Energy AE1's and the sound is superb. I use a genuine Apple 5V USB supply and have experimented with a few interconnects. I found (20 year old) Kimber PBJ were better and more open than Chord Silver Siren's - both legacy cables lying in a draw. I listen via the DAC32 for most of the day to Radio Paradise or Radio BluesFLAC and everyday I am impressed with the value for money. It is as good as a Transporter and better than a Touch or an SB3 via a Topping E30 into the AE1's.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Kidstypike, thanks so much for the replies.

I've now resolved the problem, which was pretty much inside my head. That old thing where you listen so long that you don't know what you're hearing any more. So I gave it a break and came back to it with (relatively) fresh ears. Plus a few tweaks of the speaker inputs.

Anyway, now my DAC32 and Ruark MR1 Mk2s are both performing very well together. (And kid..., no doubt "far better" speakers would improve things further, but my budget doesn't allow for that at the moment.)

I feel I must note here, too, that I was impressed by the timely and helpful support I got from Philip at Polyvection (and Martin at Vortexbox).

DAC32 Suddenly not working

Can anyone help. My DAC32 has been working fine but when I tried to listen just now, I couldn't find it on the player list, although I can see my other players in the system. Powered it off and on and the red light sequence works - first quick flashing then slow and steady, but still no joy. Looked in my list of networks for DAC32 but not listed. I can connect via bluetooth so something is working. Any ideas please?

Is the device showing its own WiFi access point?
    Stand near it and use your phone to browse WiFi access points and see if it is showing an unusual one.
    I don't know what the syntax for the name is for the DAC32 - but it was probably in the original installation instructions.
    If it is then it has somehow lost connection to your home wifi network.

If it is not then ... can you find it on your home network? - e.g. using Fing.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Is the device showing its own WiFi access point?
    Stand near it and use your phone to browse WiFi access points and see if it is showing an unusual one.
    I don't know what the syntax for the name is for the DAC32 - but it was probably in the original installation instructions.
    If it is then it has somehow lost connection to your home wifi network.

If it is not then ... can you find it on your home network? - e.g. using Fing.
    No, not on the phone or on my home network.