Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 46 of 60 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast
    I'll add a vote for this feature request. I run LMS on one subnet and my players on another and the ability to specify an LMS server is critical for this use case.

FWIW, this isn't a theoretical endorsement from someone who doesn't own the product. My DAC32 left the UK midmonth and is en route to me.

Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I'll add a vote for this feature request. I run LMS on one subnet and my players on another and the ability to specify an LMS server is critical for this use case.

FWIW, this isn't a theoretical endorsement from someone who doesn't own the product. My DAC32 left the UK midmonth and is en route to me.
    Technically, the DAC32 runs squeezelite-esp32, which is a port of squeezelite on the esp32 microcontroller. So it is possible to specify the server address via the "-s 192.168.xxx.xxx: port". I'm not sure where this option is exposed on the modified DAC32 UI. Perhaps @polivection could chime in.
    LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
    6xSqueezeAmp!
    Contributing to Folding@Home : https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/squeezelite-esp32

LMS and the DAC32 should be on the same subnet

Quote Originally Posted by sle118 View Post
    Technically, the DAC32 runs squeezelite-esp32, which is a port of squeezelite on the esp32 microcontroller. So it is possible to specify the server address via the "-s 192.168.xxx.xxx: port". I'm not sure where this option is exposed on the modified DAC32 UI. Perhaps @polivection could chime in.
    With our curation of the of the squeezelite-esp32 firmware, we made the firm decision that we would restrict the set-up options to a bare minimum, this being in keeping with our vision to make our 32range as easy as possible for newcomers to Squeezebox and to minimise technical support issues. So, for the moment at least, we have no plans to support any additional settings options. LMS and the DAC32 should be on the same subnet. Then they will find each other automatically.

---

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by PolyVection View Post
    our vision to make our 32range as easy as possible for newcomers to Squeezebox and to minimise technical support issues.
    Well, I have a technical support issue. Unless I re-do my entire server set up, this box is a useless brick.

Running LMS in a docker container isn't particularly exotic in 2021. Home theater companies have dealt with this issue for a long time by hiding advanced options -- e.g. by using cheat codes on remote controls -- for users with more advanced problems. Put it in a secret link if you're worried about morons somehow selecting the wrong server. Wish I had known (a) docker isn't supported, and (b) this would be the response before I decided to import the box. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Taxcheat; 2021-04-26 at 03:43.

PolyVection have said in the past that users will be able to replace their version of the firmware with the GitHub SqueezeESP32 version ... so maybe this is your chance to try that out.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia, CBC/Radio-Canada and RTE Ireland
    and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin, AllZIC Radio, Caroline Flashback, Cesky rozhlas, Frequence3, JukeRadio, KlassikRadio.de, Linn Radio, Mother Earth, Naim Radio, Nova.fr, RadioBlues Flac, Radio Espace, Somehow Jazz, Supla Finland

I understand why Polyvection made that decision. And given a vision for your products that incorporates ease of use for the nontechnical person, it makes some sense.

I'll admit to some surprise, though. It hadn't occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to specify an LMS server on the DAC32, since I can do that on classic Slim/Logi hardware and on pCP. I hadn't even considered that this might be something that would be unavailable, so I didn't think to check.

That said, I do like the idea of being able to expose some of these knobs to more advanced users in a way that doesn't cause issues for less technical folks. Maybe that's an option for the future.

Meantime, I am confident I can find a way to make the DAC32 work, even if that's a reflash.

FWIW, I'm running LMS in Docker in macvlan mode, so the LMS container is directly connected to the network. My players are isolated on their own network separate from LMS, which is where this use case is relevant to me. I wouldn't say that the DAC32 doesn't support Docker, rather that as shipped it requires a specific Docker network configuration. I appreciate that might be a fine distinction.

You can use the squeezelite-esp32 firmware

Quote Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
    Well, I have a technical support issue. Unless I re-do my entire server set up, this box is a useless brick.

Running LMS in a docker container isn't particularly exotic in 2021. Home theater companies have dealt with this issue for a long time by hiding advanced options -- e.g. by using cheat codes on remote controls -- for users with more advanced problems. Put it in a secret link if you're worried about morons somehow selecting the wrong server. Wish I had known (a) docker isn't supported, and (b) this would be the response before I decided to import the box. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    I understand why Polyvection made that decision. And given a vision for your products that incorporates ease of use for the nontechnical person, it makes some sense.

I'll admit to some surprise, though. It hadn't occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to specify an LMS server on the DAC32, since I can do that on classic Slim/Logi hardware and on pCP. I hadn't even considered that this might be something that would be unavailable, so I didn't think to check.

That said, I do like the idea of being able to expose some of these knobs to more advanced users in a way that doesn't cause issues for less technical folks. Maybe that's an option for the future.

Meantime, I am confident I can find a way to make the DAC32 work, even if that's a reflash.

FWIW, I'm running LMS in Docker in macvlan mode, so the LMS container is directly connected to the network. My players are isolated on their own network separate from LMS, which is where this use case is relevant to me. I wouldn't say that the DAC32 doesn't support Docker, rather that as shipped it requires a specific Docker network configuration. I appreciate that might be a fine distinction.

Paul Webster is quite right, if you require access to a wider range of settings, you can simply install the squeezelite-esp32 firmware. The DAC32 hardware is fully compatible

Customers outside of the UK & EU

We have received a number of enquiries and orders for DAC32 outside of the UK & EU, but a small number of you have expressed difficulties in placing orders with Audiostore.

Should any of you wishing to place an order be having similar issues, please contact us directly at support@polyvection.com and we will make sure that your orders can be processed

---

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by PolyVection View Post
    Paul Webster is quite right, if you require access to a wider range of settings, you can simply install the squeezelite-esp32 firmware. The DAC32 hardware is fully compatible
    "Simply"? It's not that simple. I went through the thread and it's a rabbit hole deeper than figuring out host mode for Docker. I would not have ordered this device knowing its fundamental limitations and the attitude of the devs.

FWIW, importing to the US from Audiostore was a breeze.

It involves downloading two files (f/w and flash tool) and should only take a matter of minutes to do. The attitude of the developers is transparent and exlemplary IMHO.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers