Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Mine's arrived, and after a few minor hiccups, it's up and running with the latest firmware. Now all I have to do is decide which of the older squeezeboxes it will replace.

Many thanks to all involved with this and squeezeamp. I didn't jump for a squeezeamp, as right now I really (really, really) don't actually need a new squeeze device, however this gave an easy way to try a different route to the Picore, and I'm pleased I did.

Over the years I have assembled four tracks I go to when assessing equipment because I know them and they all highlight different aspects of music but mostly in conveying the emotion. These tracks are 192/24 with the exception of one which is 96/24 and are my own needle drops. All vinyl was cleaned with a VPI machine. I used a Koetsu Rosewood Platinum Signature cartridge in an SME arm and SME 20 turntable. This was fed into a Sutherland Phd battery phono stage and then into an upgraded Audio Research LS22. The music was captured via a Creative E-MU ADC and recorded to a laptop running solely on battery power to avoid noise. No post processing. These are the tracks:

1. Philadelphia Jerry Ricks - Ain't No Fool (192/24)
    His album 'Empty Bottle Blues' was recorded at Hungarian Radio Studios, Budapest in 1986 and boy did the engineers know what they were doing. Just him and his acoustic guitar, you can feel his fingers on the strings and the slap of his hand on the guitar body. Simple and clean and on a good system he will be in the room with you.

2. Elvis - Are You Lonesome Tonight (192/24)
    From the master tapes and released as '24 Karat Hits!'. Elvis wanted the studio in almost complete darkness when he recorded this track but that caused a problem - he kept bumping into the microphone. The engineers heard it afterwards but rather than suffer his wrath they simple rolled off the bass which was carried over to every further pressing. On this release they kept it in and with a good full range system this comes through to the point where you never want to hear the track again! A great test though. Many systems will not reproduce the bumps.

3. Simon & Garfunkle - The Boxer (96/24)
    I used a half speed master special pressing for this. The whole album is fantastic of course but the main interest for testing this track is the drums. To get the sound they wanted they put the drummer in the building elevator and set up microphones in the echoic hall and shaft. When they were ready they pressed the call button, the doors opened and the drummer gave it his all. You should be able to hear the echo of the elevator, hall and shaft reverberating on a high resolution system. The contrast between the other instruments and voices tests the dynamics to the limit.

4. Buddy Holly - True Love Ways (192/24)
    Paul McCarteny owns the Holly master tapes and he asked legendary engineer Steve Hoffman to remaster the songs releasing them on 'From the Original Master Tapes'. This was the last song Holly recorded and he sang it for his new young bride. It starts with "Quiet boys ..... pitch Ernie" and then the magic begins. If you have your system right the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up, you will have a lump in your throat and you will shed a tear. He is there with you in the room and you realise what we lost. No other version of this track will elicit these emotions.

Fifteen minutes worth of music listening and you will know everything you need to know about your system or potential upgrades, including cables. I have the CD versions of three of these but IMHO they just don't cut it. PM me if you would like to hear samples of the above to do your own tests but it will be pretty pointless listening to them on a Radio, Boom or PC speakers. On a good hi-fi you may get to experience what a high end turntable sounds like in your home.

The DAC32 past these tests.
    Last edited by Heuer; 2021-03-15 at 07:41. Reason: spelling mistake
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    Over the years I have assembled four tracks I go to when assessing equipment because I know them and they all highlight different aspects of music but mostly in conveying the emotion. These tracks are 192/24 with the exception of one which is 96/24 and are my own needle drops. All vinyl was cleaned with a VPI machine. I used a Koetsu Rosewood Platinum Signature cartridge in an SME arm and SME 20 turntable. This was fed into a Sutherland Phd battery phono stage and then into an upgraded Audio Research LS22. The music was captured via a Creative E-MU ADC and recorded to a laptop running solely on battery power to avoid noise. No post processing. These are the tracks:

1. Philadelphia Jerry Ricks - Ain't No Fool (192/24)
    His album 'Empty Bottle Blues' was recorded at Hungarian Radio Studios, Budapest in 1986 and boy did the engineers know what they were doing. Just him and his acoustic guitar, you can feel his fingers on the strings and the slap of his hand on the guitar body. Simple and clean and on a good system he will be in the room with you.

2. Elvis - Are You Lonesome Tonight (192/24)
    From the master tapes and released as '24 Karat Hits!'. Elvis wanted the studio in almost complete darkness when he recorded this track but that caused a problem - he kept bumping into the microphone. The engineers heard it afterwards but rather than suffer his wrath they simple rolled off the bass which was carried over to every further pressing. On this release they kept it in and with a good full range system this comes through to the point where you never want to hear the track again! A great test though. Many systems will not reproduce the bumps.

3. Simon & Garfunkle - The Boxer (96/24)
    I used a half speed master special pressing for this. The whole album is fantastic of course but the main interest for testing this track is the drums. To get the sound they wanted they put the drummer in the building elevator and set up microphones in the echoic hall and shaft. When they were ready they pressed the call button, the doors opened and the drummer gave it his all. You should be able to hear the echo of the elevator, hall and shaft reverberating on a high resolution system. The contrast between the other instruments and voices tests the dynamics to the limit.

4. Buddy Holly - True Love Ways (192/24)
    Paul McCarteny owns the Holly master tapes and he asked legendary engineer Steve Hoffman to remaster the songs releasing them on 'From the Original Master Tapes'. This was the last song Holly recorded and he sang it for his new young bride. It starts with "Quiet boys ..... pitch Ernie" and then the magic begins. If you have your system right the hairs on the back of your neck will stand up, you will have a lump in your throat and you will shed a tear. He is there with you in the room and you realise what we lost. No other version of this track will elicit these emotions.

Fifteen minutes worth of music listening and you will know everything you need to know about your system or potential upgrades, including cables. I have the CD versions of three of these but IMHO they just don't cut it. PM me if you would like to hear samples of the above to do your own tests but it will be pretty pointless listening to them on a Radio, Boom or PC speakers. On a good hi-fi you may get to experience what a high end turntable sounds like in your home.

Do you still think it sounds better than the Topping E30?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PolyVection View Post
    We will reply to the issues raised, but this screen shot is of out-of-date instructions. The correct ones are supplied with the product. There is no need for an Audio screen, because there is only one audio mode that we support which is analogue output

---

Bob
    I received mine today and set it up with no problems. I am very pleased with it! I thought I would mention that, at least in my case, there were no instructions supplied with the product, I used the ones on the PolyVection Website.

Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    Do you still think it sounds better than the Topping E30?
    Yes, the sound is more relaxed and natural. I am currently testing the DAC32 against the Transporter but as Simon Mayo is back on Drive Time (V2.0 on Greatest Hits Radio, the gang are bacK!) that is on hold as we are listening to a 112kbps CVR MP3 stream. Will report Transporter findings tomorrow. Try my download test tracks if you want confirmation - PM me and I will supply a link.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller

Yes, the sound is more relaxed and natural. I am currently testing the DAC32 against the Transporter but as Simon Mayo is back on Drive Time (V2.0 on Greatest Hits Radio, the gang are bacK!) that is on hold as we are listening to a 112kbps CVR MP3 stream. Will report Transporter findings tomorrow. Try my download test tracks if you want confirmation - PM me and I will supply a link.
    Thanks PM sent

I should point out the E30 has a problem in that they 'wired' the S/PIDF and TOSLink the wrong way round so the polarity is inverted. They have a software fix but it only works on the USB input. Arguably not a massive problem as some recordings have inverted polarity. It may mean comparing the E30 and the DAC32 will be difficult because one will be inverted and the other will not - speakers will suck rather than blow which affects the 'edge' to the music. I found the E30 brighter and less relaxing.

Samples on the way via PM.

I should point out the E30 has a problem in that they 'wired' the S/PIDF and TOSLink the wrong way round so the polarity is inverted. They have a software fix but it only works on the USB input. Arguably not a massive problem as some recordings have inverted polarity. It may mean comparing the E30 and the DAC32 will be difficult because one will be inverted and the other will not - speakers will suck rather than blow which affects the 'edge' to the music.

Samples on the way via PM.
    I "think" later E30s may have had a PCB change to fix that but I'm using USB anyway. I can't compare to a DAC32 but it will be interesting to hear the test files on my system anyway.

Is the Dansette broken

ronnie

This is my main listening front end and what I really used - don't tell them though!:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Record-Ru...4AAOSws2dgR3oE

You need one Ronnie given your user name!
    Last edited by Heuer; 2021-03-15 at 11:18.