Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 51 of 56 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    The cheapest way for you would be to synchronize the SB3 with it and use it as a display.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Brilliantly simple, and couldn't be cheaper... in other words, free. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
    O2 Joggler running @chill's Jivelite for Joggler distro. New one for £25 at the moment: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224440922...EAAOSwzntgh9to

Good idea for when the SB3 departs this world. Thanks too.

O2 Joggler running @chill's Jivelite for Joggler distro.
    Where would one find this distro, and easy instructions?
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post
    Intrigued by the DAC32, as I've been looking to replace an ageing SB3, and this here thing seems to have quite a few plusses.

The biggest disadvantage, for me, though, is the lack of a screen. I know, I know... I can (and sometimes do) control and view with iPeng etc.

But I've got in the (perhaps lazy) habit of being able to glance over and see what's playing when I hear some interesting track or other. And often I'm listening in the kitchen, with tomato puree all over my fingers. Or worse.

So, chaps, what would be the best way to add a cheap what's-playing screen to the DAC32?

Or... maybe I should wait for the (inevitable?) PolyVection model with screen.
    Are you a tinkerer?
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Where would one find this distro, and easy instructions?
    chill's Jivelite for Joggler: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Joggler/page17

Simple to install using the reflash system: https://birdslikewires.net/openframe-flash

Three Joggler's using it and the never crash.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

chill's Jivelite for Joggler: https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Joggler/page17

Simple to install using the reflash system: https://birdslikewires.net/openframe-flash

Three Joggler's using it and the never crash.
    I don't look too easy to me!

I'll bin the Joggler.
    Server - LMS 8.2.0 Pi4B 4GB/Argon one case/pCP v7.0.1 - 75K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi4/pCP 7.0.1/Topping E30 DAC/Ruark MR1 Mk2
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 6.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Pi3B/pCP/Bluetooth/Echo Show 8
    Garage - DAC32 > Edifier speakers

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB Radio. 1xSB3, 6xRPi

I have a spare, loaded and working. Plug 'n play, just change the WiFi details. £30 + postage.
    Lounge: Transporter>Audio Synthesis DAX Decade>Audio Research LS22>Krell FPB300>Wilson Benesch Act 1's + 2 x Velodyne SPL1000 sub's
    Kitchen: Touch>Topping DAC>Arcam Solo>Anthony Gallo Micro's+Sub, Joggler controller
    Office: DAC32>Acoustic Energy AE1 Active's, Joggler controller
    Garage: Boom>QAcoustics 7000s subwoofer
    Bedroom: Radio
    Shed: Radio
    Workshop: Boom
    Garden 1: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers
    Garden 2: SB3>JVC amp>Rock outdoor speakers

Quote Originally Posted by benh View Post
    Taxcheat, I want to tell you (now that I have done it) that it is dead simple to load the squeezelite-esp32 firmware on the DAC32 and therefore address your need to specify the LMS server address. Simply go to the software upgrade interface on the DAC32, grab the appropriate firmware from here, and upload that to the DAC32.
    Good to know, thanks. It's a bit intimidating since the project page is a bit of information overload.

I don't think I need to worry about losing official "support" since ordinary docker users receive none anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Taxcheat View Post
    Good to know, thanks. It's a bit intimidating since the project page is a bit of information overload.

I don't think I need to worry about losing official "support" since ordinary docker users receive none anyway.
    I disagree that docker users aren't supported. There are pros and cons to various docker configurations, and I guess you found a con. If you were running your LMS docker in macvlan mode, the DAC32 would Just Work and you could take advantage of Polyvection support.

For me, it was not docker that was the issue in any way, it was how I have chosen to segment my network, separating servers and media players.

For both of us, it is true that our configurations led us to the same need to specify the LMS server on the player, and it is true that neither of us ever considered that such a thing might not be supported. That suggests that both of us thought of that as default capability, and perhaps others would as well.

I think there may be an opportunity to better communicate some of these limitations/decisions/considerations to prospective customers, but it's a new product that is not yet widely released, and I suspect that this kind of thing wasn't on anyone's radar. This is how products, companies, and documentation become more robust: through discovery and iteration.

At any rate, we do have options, which is one of the things I like about the DAC32. It's built to take advantage of freely available firmware. So, either the 16 bit or 32 bit firmware should work. I'd suggest starting with the 16 bit version, and if you run into limitations, you might explore the 32 bit version. I understand that the 16 bit version is more comprehensively tested.

It's dead simple to do, and there's low risk of failure, but there IS risk.

PolyVection’s products so far, including the DAC32, mark an exciting new development for Squeezeboxes. Can LMS keep up?

From the comments of PV people here, the firm’s admirable emphasis is on simplicity of use so that their boxes will more readily attract new users. To that end, it’s encouraging that they’ve written manuals for those boxes.

So often these days, the assumption seems to be that instructions are not required, that devices and software are intuitive. However, just because a creator understands his creation, it does not follow that a user will.

PV’s products rely and will rely on LMS, and any new users coming to that side of their new toys will surely face a steeper hill. After more than ten years using LMS, I still occasionally find myself surprised by some ability I never knew the system had.

I do wish there was an easy way to find out about those abilities. This forum helps enormously, of course, and the regulars here have helped me many times. But often that can require a deep dig through quite technical stuff to find what you want. Some newcomers brought to LMS by PolyVection, attracted by apparent ease of use, might struggle here.

Surely there’s a need for an up to date, clearly written, comprehensive user’s guide to all aspects of LMS. It would be a great new asset to go alongside what’s shaping up to be a great new line of hardware. Maybe PV’s hint that they’re working on a remote controller app means such a guide will necessarily come from them?

Good points well made about LMS

Quote Originally Posted by whitman View Post
    PolyVection’s products so far, including the DAC32, mark an exciting new development for Squeezeboxes. Can LMS keep up?

From the comments of PV people here, the firm’s admirable emphasis is on simplicity of use so that their boxes will more readily attract new users. To that end, it’s encouraging that they’ve written manuals for those boxes.

So often these days, the assumption seems to be that instructions are not required, that devices and software are intuitive. However, just because a creator understands his creation, it does not follow that a user will.

PV’s products rely and will rely on LMS, and any new users coming to that side of their new toys will surely face a steeper hill. After more than ten years using LMS, I still occasionally find myself surprised by some ability I never knew the system had.

I do wish there was an easy way to find out about those abilities. This forum helps enormously, of course, and the regulars here have helped me many times. But often that can require a deep dig through quite technical stuff to find what you want. Some newcomers brought to LMS by PolyVection, attracted by apparent ease of use, might struggle here.

Surely there’s a need for an up to date, clearly written, comprehensive user’s guide to all aspects of LMS. It would be a great new asset to go alongside what’s shaping up to be a great new line of hardware. Maybe PV’s hint that they’re working on a remote controller app means such a guide will necessarily come from them?
    These are very well-made points, and you are quite right, that LMS does pose something of a challenge for newcomers, which is why we will be offering our own CORE32 Gateway Server. This will come with a selection of pre-loaded Plug-ins so that the whole ‘start-up’ process can be simplified as much as reasonably possible https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...S-Music-Server

Ultimately, the massive advantage of LMS is that it is open and very powerful. The disadvantage of LMS, is that it is open and powerful. Given our objectives, we only see ourselves as supporting what one might call ‘base level’ functionality. Consequently, we have to disappoint and say that we will not be looking to offer a ‘workshop manual’ for LMS, but we will be providing CORE32 with appropriate instructions & support.

----

Bob