Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

PyPortal (ESP32 plus screen etc)

I have one of these spare (was using it as a custom controller for a fish tank setup, lights, heater (with smartplugs) etc, but ...well, fish are fragile!)...

I am wondering if there is some way to re-purpose it as a Squeezebox thingy somehow. It has an ESP32 on it, plus a 320 * 240 LCD....SD card, USB etc (there is a larger version available with a 480 * 320 too). Whilst the intention is to program it with CicruitPython as a fairly simple internet display thingy, seems like most of the hardware is there to getting something SB like going on, but I've no idea where to start...

There's a bit more detail here:
    https://www.digikey.com.au/en/maker/...f240ba4496ef80

I'm going to guess it's not possible, but perhaps someone with electronics experience might find it interesting to consider??

Looks like this, BTW:

Name:  4146-03.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  56.9 KB

The esp32 module is a WROOM so it does not have ram so you canĺt run our SqueezeESP32, unfortunately
    LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Ah well, will have to find another use for it then!

Thanks for the definitive answer!

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    The esp32 module is a WROOM so it does not have ram so you canĺt run our SqueezeESP32, unfortunately
    I know it does not currently exist as a complete software, but one interesting use-case could be, if a "version" of SqueezeESP32 was made, that does not include player, but "only" has the Jive interface, so that it could control other players.

Then a small hidden player could do the playing, and a screen like this + ESP could act as a "remote controller".

Not sure if Jive could be made to run without the ram.

BR
    Kasper

I'm not sure if this would be a use case for squeezelite-esp32, as according to the provided link, the pyportal contains esp32 only as a wifi co-processor, and therefore probably is not directly connetcted to the display. Main processor is an ATSAMD51J20 Cortex M4. Furthermore, it's only an resistive touch screen - not good for navigating through a big music library.
    Main: Transporter -> [Marantz PM7005 -> Canton Vento 820.2] | [Meier enhanced crossfeed -> Topping A50s -> Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed]
    Office: Squeezelite-esp32+SSD1322+IR+Cirrus CS43198 -> Yamaha CRX-E400 -> Q Acoustics 3010i
    Garden: DAC32 -> Objective2 -> Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2 closed
    Bathroom and children's room: 2x SB Radio
    Spare devices / ongoing projects: 2 x SB3, Touch, PiCorePlayer8+RasPi3A++DAC+light+RTC+7'' Display+XBox Media Remote+LMS
    Server: NUC7CJYH2+Debian+LMS+Resilio Sync

Yes, if one wanted just a visualiser (i.e. to show 'now playing' info etc), rather than a controller, it would be possible to do that in CircuitPython by simply hitting the LMS services and getting the info.

It's not hard to then display images or simple elements, so cover art maybe a progress bar, time, file/format into etc, would all be quite do-able I think. Although obviously more work than using existing Jive stuff.

It's not a super fast little thing, but would probably be ok as a little informational display in this context.

I don't personally need that, but it would be an option if someone did need that for some particular setup.