Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Second WLAN SSID

Hi, not specifically a squeezebox/LMS related question, more a network configuration question, but I'd thought I'd tap into the huge collective pool of knowledge here...

What I want to do is set my router up to offer two WIFI networks (ie. two NW SSIDs each with a different PW). The reason is I occasionally rent the property and don't want to release the main network access details.

I thought it could be done using a "guest WIFI" option on the router, but it seems my talktalk (uk based) router doesn't support this, and I'm not sure it's easy to use a 3rd party router.

The other way I can think of is to add a second router as an access point, linked by CAT-5 ethernet to the "main" router. That should work, I've done it before.

Just wondered if there were any less clunky ways of doing this?
    Location 1: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Touch, x1 Controller : Location 2: LMS 8.0 on Win 10 Brix Server, x2 SB Radios, x1 Duet Receiver, x1 Controller : Alexa Mediaserver Smart Skill, Material Android, SqueezeliteX control

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    Hi, not specifically a squeezebox/LMS related question, more a network configuration question, but I'd thought I'd tap into the huge collective pool of knowledge here...

What I want to do is set my router up to offer two WIFI networks (ie. two NW SSIDs each with a different PW). The reason is I occasionally rent the property and don't want to release the main network access details.

I thought it could be done using a "guest WIFI" option on the router, but it seems my talktalk (uk based) router doesn't support this, and I'm not sure it's easy to use a 3rd party router.

The other way I can think of is to add a second router as an access point, linked by CAT-5 ethernet to the "main" router. That should work, I've done it before.

Just wondered if there were any less clunky ways of doing this?
    If you don't have a router that actually supports Guest WiFi then the second option is the safest provided that you plug the WAN port of Router2 into a LAN port on Router1 and have a different network range on Router2 altogether e.g

Router 1 WAN - as assigned
    Router 1 LAN- 192.168.1.1

Router 2 WAN - 192.168.1.2
    Router 2 LAN - 192.168.2.x

Ensure netmask is 255.255.255.0 on each.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
    Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Denon RCD N8 -> Celestion F10s
    Dining Room SB Boom
    Kitchen UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
    Guest Room Joggler > Topping Amp -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Everything controlled by iPeng & Material on iOS

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    If you don't have a router that actually supports Guest WiFi then the second option is the safest provided that you plug the WAN port of Router2 into a LAN port on Router1 and have a different network range on Router2 altogether e.g

Router 1 WAN - as assigned
    Router 1 LAN- 192.168.1.1

Router 2 WAN - 192.168.1.2
    Router 2 LAN - 192.168.2.x

Ensure netmask is 255.255.255.0 on each.
    I might be wrong but I think with this configuration clients in network 2 could reach clients in network 1 but not vice versa. So network 1 would be used for the guests. To have complete separation one could use two additional routers behind the main router.