Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
    True but you might spend a long time looking

I think people find it difficult to believe that a Raspberry Pi is indistinguishable from a "high end" streamer in a blind test.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    I agree. The DAC is the place to spend the money not the digital delivery mechanism.

If you asked anyone which computer sounds better - a Mac or a PC - they’d mostly say it depends on the sound card / DAC and speakers. Which is exactly the point, the computer in use makes no difference assuming both are working properly. However an Audiofool will spend hours pontificating that one is better than the other - probably the Mac.
    Exactly - it will make 0.0 difference. The DAC will do some, but all the rest is in the listener's head. Now, the aesthetic of the player matters, like any piece of decoration and that's perfectly understandable to spend $$$ there if it suits one's priorities/desires.
    LMS 8.1.x on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

I wonder if the Audiofools think the music sounds better when started from the Material skin vs the Default skin ?

Now comparing two SBTs. One with linear PSU and connected to a 450 euro (when new) USB DAC (Crystal chip), the other has the stock wallwart and line out. Both have EDO.
    Level matched as close as possible, but not calibrated (one SBT has the 100 % volume disabled and adjusted to 99 %).
    Difference? Well, someone might hear it, but I don't.
    Next plan is to convince a highend dealer to let me try a stinking expensive DAC for comparision.

They'll only let you do if it you sign an oxygen-free, directional, bi-amped NDA.

Gladly, if I don't have to cryo my balls and insert quantum mechanic chips under my skin

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie View Post
    Gladly, if I don't have to cryo my balls and insert quantum mechanic chips under my skin
    Go into a high end dealer (when that is a thing again) and challenge them to tell the difference in a blind test

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk