Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Your asking the wrong forum for questions about "noise"

The PI4 with its extra resources and more separated components is a better choice for a "server" Until the Pi3B+ receives a big discount over the 4B2G, there is no reason to not get a PI4.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post

The PI4 with its extra resources and more separated components is a better choice for a "server" Until the Pi3B+ receives a big discount over the 4B2G, there is no reason to not get a PI4.
    Yes thanks Paul, they are not much cheaper so really no sense not to get a Pi4.
    I just heard tales of Pi4s with heatsinks and fans and power supplies that do not give enough power.

Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    I just heard tales of Pi4s with heatsinks and fans and power supplies that do not give enough power.
    Old news that was barely true when "new" news. I have 3 pi4B's (two with 4GB and one with 8GB). All with the standard cheap power supply that comes with the "canakit" rpi kit sold on amazon (and power supply is also supplying the plugged in 4TB 3.0 USB drives connected to the rPi). All work well, none run hot (in fact cooler than my older rPi3B+), and I don't have any heatsinks, although I do run all in a flirc case, which sort of acts as a heat sink.
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Old news that was barely true when "new" news. I have 3 pi4B's (two with 4GB and one with 8GB). All with the standard cheap power supply that comes with the "canakit" rpi kit sold on amazon (and power supply is also supplying the plugged in 4TB 3.0 USB drives connected to the rPi). All work well, none run hot (in fact cooler than my older rPi3B+), and I don't have any heatsinks, although I do run all in a flirc case, which sort of acts as a heat sink.
    I agree with garym - I replaced my Pi3B based pCP/LMS server (files on a QNAP NAS) a couple of weeks before Christmas with a Pi4B. It is powered via a USB cable from my QNAP NAS. It is housed in an Argon Neo case which functions as a passive heatsink. It operates pretty consistently at about 43 degrees C, fluctuating up by a couple of degrees while scanning. It has been running since 17th December with no issues whatsoever that I can detect. The Pi4B has no attachments which could increase current draw.

Robert
    Home: Raspberry Pi 4/pCP7.0/LMS8.1.2/Material with files on QNAP TS-251A
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 > Rega Fono Mini; Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired), 1 x SqueezeAMP
    Office: LMS8.0.0 running on Raspberry Pi3; Raspberry Pi 3 player with touchscreen/piCorePlayer/IQaudIO DAC and Amp
    Portable: Raspberry Pi 3B/pCP7.0.1/LMS8.1.2/Material, files on Seagate portable drive, powered via power brick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Bob View Post
    I agree with garym - I replaced my Pi3B based pCP/LMS server (files on a QNAP NAS) a couple of weeks before Christmas with a Pi4B. It is powered via a USB cable from my QNAP NAS. It is housed in an Argon Neo case which functions as a passive heatsink. It operates pretty consistently at about 43 degrees C, fluctuating up by a couple of degrees while scanning. It has been running since 17th December with no issues whatsoever that I can detect. The Pi4B has no attachments which could increase current draw.

Robert
    mine gets as warm as 48 degrees C, when doing a complete scan of my library (about 116,000 files).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win10(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: iPhone11 & iPadAir3 (iPeng), CONTROLLER, Material Skin, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64)
    Files: Ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

I wish I had read this before buying a 3B+

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post

I debated between the Pi3B+ and Pi4 for the LMS server, but I went with the Pi3B because of its assumed lower power consumptions since it will always be on.

Recommendations on equipment is lacking on the picore website. Please consider adding some recommendations when using a Pi as a player vs LMS server vs both. That would be helpful. (hmm perhaps I should copy this to the documentation thread?) For example, there is not much discussion about what side SD card is recommended, so I went with a larger card. For those getting a Pi4, what memory size is required.

Thank you,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    I debated between the Pi3B+ and Pi4 for the LMS server, but I went with the Pi3B because of its assumed lower power consumptions since it will always be on.
    I've been using 3B+ as a server/player for a while and see no issues. Still been contemplating switching to a Compute Module 4. It would have the advantage of having all outputs on one side (making a better fit in the enclosure) and the option of adding a harddisk directly to the PCIe bus in stead of USB..

It seems a bit of a project though, and might be overkill...
    Last edited by jeroen2; 2021-01-03 at 15:26.

hi P Nelson,

I did put some info regarding the Raspberry Pi models and recommendations on our piCorePlayer documentation website.

See "Raspberry Pi" in the Components section.

An "absolute" recommendation can be difficult.

For example, I ran LMS on the original RPi1B with 256MB of RAM for many years. It worked fine for me. I also do a lot of my development on a RPi2B.

regads
    Greg

It's definitely a Pi4 then, all I need is a bit of time between my Pi3b+ destruction and regaining ú40 ishs worth of nerve.
    Thanks for all the help. Its a brilliant forum and pCP is so good and free too.
    It's probably time for a donation when I get Pi4.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by diode84; 2021-01-04 at 08:33.

Quote Originally Posted by diode84 View Post
    It's definitely a Pi4 then, all I need is a bit of time between my Pi3b+ destruction and regaining ú40 ishs worth of nerve.
    Thanks for all the help. Its a brilliant forum and pCP is so good and free too.
    It's probably time for a donation when I get Pi4.
    Thanks again
    You don't say how you "destroyed" the rpi 3b+ but just put it in a drawer and leave it for a couple of weeks.

Then try and power it up with a sd card loaded with an OS.

The non rpi4 have a polyfuse which has been known, in some cases, to take a long time to reset

Just a suggestion

ronnie