Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi P Nelson,

I did put some info regarding the Raspberry Pi models and recommendations on our piCorePlayer documentation website.

See "Raspberry Pi" in the Components section.

An "absolute" recommendation can be difficult.

For example, I ran LMS on the original RPi1B with 256MB of RAM for many years. It worked fine for me. I also do a lot of my development on a RPi2B.

regads
    Greg
    Hi Greg,

I missed reviewing that section of the website when researching what I needed. I was looking at the Getting Started pages which is focused on the software. I recommended adding a new first step which is getting a Raspberry Pi. Include the following "The Raspberry Pi Foundation has a policy of maintaining a US$35 price point, so the latest model with the minimum specs will be probably be the best value for money. At the time of writing that is a RPi4B 2GB." Then include a link to the Raspberry Pi components for more details.

What is missing from the Raspberry Pi components page is a discussion or recommendation of SD card size, 16 GB, 32 GB, etc.

Again, thanks for all the great work in developing the piCore software.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    You don't say how you "destroyed" the rpi 3b+ but just put it in a drawer and leave it for a couple of weeks.

Then try and power it up with a sd card loaded with an OS.

The non rpi4 have a polyfuse which has been known, in some cases, to take a long time to reset

Just a suggestion

ronnie
    Ronnie I will try that, in fact it's on it's way now to a drawer.

You don't say how you "destroyed" the rpi 3b+ but just put it in a drawer and leave it for a couple of weeks.

The non rpi4 have a polyfuse which has been known, in some cases, to take a long time to reset

Just a suggestion

ronnie
    Interesting!

I have an RPi2 which I used as a media player. For no obvious reason, it started to show the undervoltage (yellow lightning arrow on screen) warning. I swapped around the power supplies (all correct official) to no avail. I put it away for a while, replacing it with a RPi3, and then decided to try it again. It worked perfectly for a few weeks and then it happened again.

Just a suggestion

ronnie
    Hello ronnie
    You are quite right, It now works, maybe its the drawer that does it.
    Thanks for the tip. I did have to add a link to power the 5v USBs but its now fine so no need for a Pi4 although I will get one sometime.
    Thanks again
    PS Too embarrassing to admit I powered it from 12v.

Yeah, that polyfuse caught me out a few times. You are not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by P Nelson View Post
    I debated between the Pi3B+ and Pi4 for the LMS server, but I went with the Pi3B because of its assumed lower power consumptions since it will always be on.

Recommendations on equipment is lacking on the picore website. Please consider adding some recommendations when using a Pi as a player vs LMS server vs both. That would be helpful. (hmm perhaps I should copy this to the documentation thread?) For example, there is not much discussion about what side SD card is recommended, so I went with a larger card. For those getting a Pi4, what memory size is required.

Thank you,

Paul
    May I ask how many watts the Pi3B+ consumes when it idles and when LMS runs?

Quote Originally Posted by verycd View Post
    May I ask how many watts the Pi3B+ consumes when it idles and when LMS runs?
    This mayhelp with the first part

https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...ower/README.md

I don't worry about either condition