Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: balance?

balance?

any way to adjust the balance (aka pan L or R)?
    Salk HT-2TL's - emotiva UPA-2 - Emotiva USP-1 - Slim Devices Touch (coming soon) - Panamax M4300PM power conditioner - Cables by Me!

no, probably because that's usually a function of the preamp or receiver, not the source.

I don't see a reason that a whole host of digital effects could not be offered in the interface. The needed software (e.g. sox) is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverz View Post
    I don't see a reason that a whole host of digital effects could not be offered in the interface. The needed software (e.g. sox) is there.
    Would only work if you have a squeeseboxserver on a fairly powerfull machine. not onboard the Touch itself.

It's must be much more efficient to implement on the Touch itself.

It has two channels and volume ok.

Therefore technically there must exist an volume control for each channel.

So this is possible I think ? an enhancement request in bugzilla maybe .

The old ip3k players do not have an iota of cpu or ram left, so this has been "impossible" on them.
    Touch should be able to do this.

Nb, I think that the touch has far to little cpu to run any Eq or anything like that. I'm just saying, this is the next question that usually pops up.

(boom accomplish this by having an onboard dsp processor, same dsp does the x-overs etc)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

very few 2 channel preamps come with balance controls anymore, including mine. it is a feature that was built into the sonos, and one that i found was very helpful.
    Salk HT-2TL's - emotiva UPA-2 - Emotiva USP-1 - Slim Devices Touch (coming soon) - Panamax M4300PM power conditioner - Cables by Me!

Balance is something that theoretically can be done, but its probably not trivial. My guess is that it will take modifying the C code that is implementing the volume control so its not even something that can be implemented as a patch. On top of that you need a GUI for specifying it. It should also probably be something accessable through the web UI and CLI mode. Then of course things like iPeng should probably include it.

A lot of work but could be done.

John S.

News

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=77837

Peter searched for way to lock Volume.
    But this proves that there are gainL and gainR variables in lua , so maybe no C compiling needed ?

I wont know really I don't do code.

Btw If you want to have balance but say goodbye to your volume control.
    You can use this hack but set different values in L & R

I suggest that one uses some of the discrete values found in the code.
    The volume maps are there.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Yep it certainly looks doable. All it needs is a UI now! The problem is the now playing screen is already pretty full of stuff, it would either have to be redesigned or an additional screen be added, OR it put somewhere else. Then there is the question do you want it in the webUI, and do you want it settable over the CLI interface so something like iPeng could adjust it.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    Yep it certainly looks doable. All it needs is a UI now! The problem is the now playing screen is already pretty full of stuff, it would either have to be redesigned or an additional screen be added, OR it put somewhere else. Then there is the question do you want it in the webUI, and do you want it settable over the CLI interface so something like iPeng could adjust it.
    Isn't balance something that should be pretty static on a Touch ?

For a Boom it's a lot different because that's a device you move around but I'm imagining that the Touch will typically be setup in a stationary position. Is there some obvious use case I've missed where a user would often want to change the balance ?

If it's placed at a stationary position I suspect that a third party applet controlling balance could be accessed through the Settings menus.

iPeng support gets a little bit more complex, but I'm not really sure iPeng support is important unless balance is something that's changed often. If we want iPeng support there also needs to be a plugin besides the applet/patch installed on the Touch.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

I imagine for 99% of users this would be a "set & forget" setting...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.