Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chill View Post
    I have no idea if there was a V1, or how it differs - it's simply the one currently offered by Pi Hut!
    Oh, I didn't know that this exists. The difference to the V1 are the full size HDMI connectors instead of the micro HDMI and that there is an infrared receiver installed (you can install it on your own on the V1 boards).
    Pi4 4GB piCorePlayer with LMS and Squeezelite for USB inside an Argon One case
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

It'll just have power and an ethernet cable connected to the back, and a USB3 flash drive for booting, including a separate partition for the LMS cache and boot/root backups.
    I also thought about it. But I attach the SSD with my music data often to my Mac to synchronise it with the music stored there (the SSD is in HFS+ format and a 1:1 copy of my iTunes/Music library and it is mounted ro on the Pi). So the integrated SSD will be a little bit complicated to attach it to the Mac and the Pi.
    For PCP I am using the SD card and I have an extra USB Stick for the LMS library in one USB 3 port.
    Pi3B+ (7" Display, Hifiberry DAC+ Pro) piCorePlayer with Squeezlite/Jivelite for Hifiberry and Bluetooth headphone inside a SmartiPi touch case
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

Quote Originally Posted by carsten_h View Post
    So the integrated SSD will be a little bit complicated to attach it to the Mac and the Pi.
    It seems that the only connection between the M.2 SSD tray and the RPi is that little rigid USB link piece that connects to the RPi's lower USB3 socket.

So if you wanted to go down that route, I would imagine that you could shut down the RPi, remove that junction piece, and connect the tray to your Mac with a USB3 male-to-male cable instead.

Looks like Argon is supplying the M.2 to USB3 converter. I hope they did their homework, as there are some adapters that don't work well with the PI4.

Not sure how well these adapters are supported with trim support either.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by paul- View Post
    Looks like Argon is supplying the M.2 to USB3 converter. I hope they did their homework, as there are some adapters that don't work well with the PI4.

According to here, the Argon M.2-to-USB adapter supports UASP. What can I use under pCP7 to check/test trim support?

I hope they did their homework, as there are some adapters that don't work well with the PI4.
    I am sure it will work as I heard from many that they are using it.
    Also I saw a list with adapters that work together with the Pi 4 and it is on this list.
    Here is the list (German forum, it is the one with the link to Berrybase, a German distributor of the Argon One cases): https://forum-raspberrypi.de/forum/t...u-finden-sind/

I don't think it will be supported.
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

I've just ordered that M.2 SSD add-on tray and a suitable SSD. I think it's worth it to make a neat all-in-one server that will occupy a minimum of space in my router cupboard. It'll just have power and an ethernet cable connected to the back, and a USB3 flash drive for booting, including a separate partition for the LMS cache and boot/root backups.

Just so you are aware, although pretty fast the, full speed of the M.2, apparently, is not available on the rpi

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=256898

ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by Man in a van View Post
    full speed of the M.2, apparently, is not available on the rpi
    That is clear, also it is only a M.2 SATA SSD not an M.2 NVMe SSD, so it will not be faster as an external attached USB 3 SATA SSD.
    Two Airport Express
    Ikea Symfonisk

I've tweaked the python script to make it slightly easier to use a separate config file under pCP. I changed the 'tmpconfig' line as folows:

Code:
    #	tmpconfig = load_config("etc/argononed.conf")
    	tmpconfig = load_config("/home/tc/argononed.conf")
    Then I put this argononed.conf example file in /home/tc

Code:
    #
    # Argon One Fan Configuration
    #
    # List below the temperature (Celsius) and fan speed (in percent) pairs
    # Use the following form:
    # min.temperature=speed
    #
    # Example:
    # 55=10
    # 60=55
    # 65=100
    #
    # NOTE: Lines beginning with # are ignored
    #
    # Start below:
    55=10
    60=55
    65=100
    To make any changes in this file take effect the python script needs to be restarted, e.g. by (backing up and) rebooting (or the process can be killed and then restarted from the command line). This means there's very little benefit compared to editing the python script itself. But at least with this method the python script can be left untouched.

If I knew anything about python I'd have a go at making it re-load this 'argononed.conf' file every time it checks the temperature, so that it can be changed on-the-fly without restarting the script. But I think a few default temperature settings are good enough that I can put off learning python for a bit longer :-)

Trim support rarely documented in the controller documentation. But in general, USB controllers do not support the online trim. Some do support kernel 'unmap' (The kernel keeps track of what needs trimmed)

Here is a quick article I found, which at least describes what's going on. https://lemariva.com/blog/2020/08/ra...g-enabled-trim There were not as nice of writeups availiable when I set this up on my Samsumg T5 SSD.

Please note the warnings in the blog.
    piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
    Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please donate if you like the piCorePlayer